40 years since Snoopy went to the moon

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon Years
In summary, Snoopy, the famous dog from the "Peanuts" comic strip, became a world-famous astronaut for NASA's Apollo 10 mission, alongside his owner Charles Schulz. The mission paved the way for Apollo 11 and Snoopy now has a statue at Kennedy Space Center to commemorate the event, which took place 40 years ago this month. Even today, Snoopy's achievement remains a highlight of his career.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Snoopy, the irreverent dog from the "Peanuts" comic strip, took time from his World War I dogfights as world-famous flying ace to become a world-famous astronaut for NASA's Apollo 10 mission.

The beagle now has a 5-foot-tall statue at Florida's Kennedy Space Center to commemorate the flight, which launched 40 years ago this month and arrived at the moon on May 21, 1969. That's when the Snoopy lunar module and the Charlie Brown command module entered lunar orbit. Apollo 10 paved the way for Apollo 11 to land men on the moon.

"It went down in his life as one of the all-time highlights of his career," said Craig Schulz, son of Charles Schulz, the famed American comic strip writer who died in 2000...
http://www.space.com/entertainment/090515-apollo-snoopy.html

40 years! OMG! It is hard to believe that what was once the cutting edge of technology is now all but ancient history.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.space.com/entertainment/090515-apollo-snoopy.html

40 years! OMG! It is hard to believe that what was once the cutting edge of technology is now all but ancient history.

My girlfriend has a Silver Snoopy award. I guess I didn't realize just how hard those are to get.

There was a Peanuts cartoon showing Snoopy (the dog) landing on the moon, wearing a space helmet of course (but nothing else) …

1st frame: I did it! I'm the first beagle on the moon!

2nd frame: I beat the Americans!

3rd frame: I beat the Russians!

4th frame: I even beat that stupid cat that lives next door! :smile:

Lol that's just great. I may have to take a special trip to see the statue.

Related to 40 years since Snoopy went to the moon

1. How did Snoopy go to the moon?

Snoopy did not actually go to the moon, but a replica of him was taken on the Apollo 10 mission in May 1969 as a symbol of NASA's Apollo-Soyuz Test Project. The mission was a dress rehearsal for the Apollo 11 moon landing.

2. Why was Snoopy chosen to represent the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project?

Snoopy was chosen because he was a well-known and beloved character from the popular comic strip "Peanuts" by Charles M. Schulz. This helped to generate public interest and excitement about the Apollo missions.

3. What happened to Snoopy after the Apollo 10 mission?

After the mission, the replica of Snoopy was returned to Charles M. Schulz, who kept it in his personal collection until his death in 2000. It is now on display at the Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa, California.

4. Did Snoopy have any scientific significance on the Apollo 10 mission?

No, Snoopy was purely a symbolic mascot for the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project and did not have any scientific significance on the mission.

5. Why is it important to remember the 40th anniversary of Snoopy going to the moon?

The Apollo 10 mission and the inclusion of Snoopy as a symbol of the mission played a significant role in the history of space exploration and the popular culture surrounding it. It also serves as a reminder of the collaboration between the United States and the Soviet Union during the Cold War, and the advancements in technology and science that allowed humans to reach the moon.