4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks: Risks & Dangers

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: Alcoholic energy drinks-- like Four Loko-- may be a risk not worth taking, but worth talking about. Washington state Attorney General Rob McKenna wants action at both the state and federal levels.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Alcoholic energy drinks-- A risk not worth taking, but worth talking about

They're sweet, fizzy and fruity, and they pack a stealthy yet strong punch with the quickly-to-be-inebriated.

Alcoholic drinks like the colorfully packaged Four Loko malt liquor long have had the attention of collegiate and adolescent drinkers. And now they have the adults' attention after the finding that Four Loko made nine Central Washington University students ill at a Roslyn house party. Recall that the students were so smashed that authorities initially feared they had been drugged.

Washington state Attorney General Rob McKenna wants action at both the state and federal levels. At a news conference in Ellensburg on Monday, McKenna asked the Food and Drug Administration to ban the sale of such products...
http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2010/10/26/alcoholic-energy-drinks-a-risk-not-worth-taking-but-worth-talking-about

While I see this as a public education issue and not a government matter, it does seem that people underestimate the dangers of this drug.

I'm not sure which direction this thread might go, so I opted for GD, for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Four Loko has recently come under scrutiny elsewhere. Last month, 23 intoxicated students were hospitalized over the span of a few weeks at northern New Jersey's Ramapo College after drinking Four Loko, prompting the college's president to institute a ban. Another four students got sick in New York, university officials said...
http://cbs4.com/national/Four.Loko.Malt.2.1981286.html

Oh dear God, I am so sick of these "bad drug" stories. Everytime some activity happens that is even slightly related to a drug some "noble-hearted" politician or media gang makes it their mission to lead a crusade against the "evils" of said product. I have drank Four-Locos, I prefer them to drinking hard liquor, why? First, they are cheap and conveniant, and I like the taste. They are no worse than any other liquor if not abused, period. I'll have two four locos and get fairly drunk at a party, not incoherent drunk, not out of control, black out drunk and never puke or feel crappy the next day drunk. 2 Four Locos is approx. 8 or 9 beers. That said, are some people stupid? Yes, and they always will be...If you don't look at the product that clearly informs you of how much alcohol content is in the can and decide "mmm me likes da taste" and chug 3 or 4, well then yes, your going to get dangerously drunk, luckily most people don't do that...This trend occurs with the various "legal herb" marijuana substitutes where people say it makes kids "anxious and nervous" and with Salvia in certain states because some kid started using salvia around the time that he killed himself so the parents blamed the drug for his suicidal thoughts...ahhh, sorry for the long rant

A few weeks ago, http://www.king5.com/news/local/At-least-12-college-students-teens-overdose-at-Roslyn-party-104630719.html", resulting in about a dozen hospitalizations. At the time no one knew what happened - reports said students just started dropping like flies, unconscious and semi-conscious.

I must admit, I was shocked when I learned this *wasn't* a case where someone spiked the drinks with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flunitrazepam" - it was this Four Loko product!

The news report I saw tonight said one can has the caffeine of 4 Cokes, and the alcohol of 4 beers - hence the name, Four Loko.

I agree, it's not a government issue. But college students - especially young women* - should be cautious about drinks that combine stimulants with alcohol.

*At the party I linked to, most of the affected students were female.

JDStupi said:
Oh dear God, I am so sick of these "bad drug" stories. Everytime some activity happens that is even slightly related to a drug some "noble-hearted" politician or media gang makes it their mission to lead a crusade against the "evils" of said product. I have drank Four-Locos, I prefer them to drinking hard liquor, why? First, they are cheap and conveniant, and I like the taste. They are no worse than any other liquor if not abused, period. I'll have two four locos and get fairly drunk at a party, not incoherent drunk, not out of control, black out drunk and never puke or feel crappy the next day drunk. 2 Four Locos is approx. 8 or 9 beers. That said, are some people stupid? Yes, and they always will be...If you don't look at the product that clearly informs you of how much alcohol content is in the can and decide "mmm me likes da taste" and chug 3 or 4, well then yes, your going to get dangerously drunk, luckily most people don't do that...This trend occurs with the various "legal herb" marijuana substitutes where people say it makes kids "anxious and nervous" and with Salvia in certain states because some kid started using salvia around the time that he killed himself so the parents blamed the drug for his suicidal thoughts...ahhh, sorry for the long rant

As I understand this so far, the problem is that people don't realize how much alcohol they are consuming. Additionally, the stimulants keep people drinking when they should be passing out.

I am surely just as opposed to political crusades for matters like this as you are, but there is nothing wrong with public education.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
there is nothing wrong with public education.

I guess everything is wrong with public education, if people are not aware of the risks :wink:

OH no, don't get me wrong, public education is fine...It is surely fine to warn people of the dangers of the product, and make sure that all of the relevant information is completely known. In fact, that would be good considering how stupid people are, as long as it isn't some political tirade for public support

(For the sake of discussion, I will set aside all other issues of government protecting its citizens)

Who foots the bill for public education?

At first blush, it seems untenable to insist that the government educate the populace every time a new, confusing, misleading, and/or dangerous product is put on the market.

I'm curious, what is your opinion on a temporary ban, lasting until the manufacturer can execute a successful public education campaign?

True, the problem of funding for public education is certainly an issue, one that I did not consider. Well first, I do not believe that an education program is necessary I was simply saying that if people wanted to do that, I would not be opposed. I would be opposed to even a temporary ban, I suppose that would be better than removing the product, something like issuing a verdict "By X time you will have this warning on all products" but either way, It states the caffeine content and the alcohol content. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I do not know if we should have to hold the consumer's hand the whole process "Warning: Four Loko's caffeine content is equivalent to four coca-colas and its alcohol content is equivalent to four beers" That isn't a bad thing, but it is already stated. It is not even like it is stated in an implicit or shadey manner, it is the same as any other product: nutrition facts and alcohol content.

Did you know, before encountering this thread, that caffeine (especially in large doses) would impair your ability to recognize that you're drunk and how much, and suppresses your bodies defenses against drinking way too much?

I certainly had no clue. But then I don't drink at all so I'm not the best one to ask.

That warning is pretty much meaningless unless this fact is both public knowledge, and the consumer is savvy enough to connect the dots without being prompted.

(It's unclear -- are you saying that warning is already on the beverage? Or are you proposing it?)

Ok, that would be a valid warning, I will say before reading the article I did not know. When I said my previous statement I wasn't considering that fact. I was merely proposing that the information regarding how much alcohol and caffeine is in the product is on the can, not that specific fact. That said, my main point of contention is that it should not serve as the banner for some political crusade against the product, making it illegal. Forcing the company to put a warning on the can, doesn't seem out of hand to me, similar to the warnings on cigarette boxes.

I think a large skull and crossbones on the lable might be a good start. They have that on poisons so that small children will recognize it as dangerous.

I stopped at a corner market on the way home tonight. Each of the two young men in front of me were buying Four Loko. Good to say that one had one can, and the other had two cans, so at least they weren't planning on downing the stuff all night.

Yes, they each got a short lecture. :biggrin: As soon as I mentioned this being in the news, they and the cashier started discussing it. One of the two men was aware of the potential dangers [the one purchasing one can], the other wasn't.

They were both surprised when I pointed out the alcohol content. I'm a bit surprised that they can sell this in a general store here. In Oregon, we have State stores for hard liquor.

Last edited:
You seriously brought it up with people you don't know, to warn them about the alcohol content?

G037H3 said:
You seriously brought it up with people you don't know, to warn them about the alcohol content?

Heh, yes. By asking if anyone had seen the news about it, everyone jumped into the discussion. If provided the opportunity to pass along what I've heard.

Also, the cashier, who was an older lady [you know, my age :biggrin:], was all over it. She had already warned her own kids.

Washington state bans 'blackout in a can' drinks
Alcoholic energy drinks to be off shelves by Nov. 18
By CHRIS GRYGIEL
SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

High caffeine alcoholic energy drinks like the ones that sickened Central Washington University students last month have been banned in Washington state...
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/429935_alcohol10.html?source=mypi

1. What are the ingredients in 4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks?

4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks typically contain alcohol, caffeine, taurine, guarana, and various other ingredients such as sugar, artificial flavors, and preservatives.

2. How much alcohol and caffeine is in a can of 4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks?

A single can of 4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks contains approximately 12% alcohol by volume (ABV) and 175mg of caffeine, which is equivalent to about two cups of coffee.

3. What are the potential risks of consuming 4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks?

Consuming 4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks can lead to a number of potential risks, including increased heart rate and blood pressure, dehydration, sleep disturbances, and impaired judgment and decision-making abilities. It may also increase the likelihood of engaging in risky behaviors, such as driving under the influence.

4. Can 4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks have long-term effects on health?

While more research is needed, consuming 4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks over a long period of time may lead to negative health effects such as increased risk of heart disease, stroke, and addiction.

5. Are there any precautions to take when consuming 4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks?

It is important to consume 4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks in moderation and to avoid mixing it with other caffeinated beverages or alcohol. People with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or caffeine sensitivity should avoid consuming 4Loco Alcoholic Energy Drinks altogether. It is also important to stay hydrated and avoid driving or operating heavy machinery while under the influence of this drink.

Back