52 card Poisson Distribution experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a single deck of 52 cards to generate a Poisson distribution. The example given involves shuffling the deck and looking for the Ace of Spades to appear on top after a certain number of shuffle rounds. The question is whether this scenario qualifies as a Poisson distribution and if the mean can be known. The conversation also touches on other examples of Poisson distributions such as radioactive decay, and the importance of assumptions in proper analysis. Finally, the conversation explores a different experiment involving dropping cards and counting the number of times the Ace appears face up, and how this relates to other examples of Poisson distributions.
mishima
Hi, I was trying to think of a way to generate a Poisson distribution using a single deck of 52.

Say I am looking at the position of the Ace of spades in the deck after a number of shuffle rounds (1 shuffle round is 7 riffle type shuffles). Success is that an Ace of spades is on top of the deck, failure is that it is not. If the Ace starts in the middle of the deck, finding it on top after 1 shuffle round is extremely unlikely, but with more shuffle rounds that chance increases.

Would that qualify? I'm not sure if its reasonable to assume a mean exists for a given number of shuffles.

If not, what might? I'd just like to devise experiments for all the common distributions using a 52 card deck (binomial of course being clearest).

Physics news on Phys.org
Your example is confusing. Is the Ace of Spades supposed to show up eventually if you keep shuffling or is the question, what happens after n shuffles?

What mean are you asking about in the later question?

I'm assuming the Ace of Spades will show up on top with enough shuffling. I want to model the appearance of the Ace of Spades on top using a Poisson distribution and am wondering if that is reasonable.

A common textbook example for Poisson distribution is radioactive decay. A certain substance has a very small chance of decaying in a certain time. I'm trying to make an analogy to this using a deck of cards to experiment with.

The mean in question is one of the requirements for a Poisson distribution (it must be known). For example, in radioactive decay, the average number of decays in a given time period is known. I wasn't sure if the average number of times the Ace comes up on top after a given number of shuffles was knowable.

Assuming shuffles are thorough, any particular will show up on top 1/52 times on average. The underlying distribution is binomial, not Poisson.

For a proper analysis, you'll need some assumption about the shuffling process. "Completely random arrangement afterwards" is one possible assumption, but probably not a very realistic one.

That makes sense. What if the experiment is more like this:

I drop 10 cards from a height of 10 feet. I count the number of times the Ace lays face up in 3 minutes of dropping. Just intuitively, it would seem getting something like 30 times would be more unlikely than 5 times. How is that different from standard examples of a truck passing a certain corner a number of times, or a customer entering a shop a certain number of times?

10 cards, including the Ace? Assuming the cards form a proper stack on the ground for some reason: on average it will be on top once every 10 runs. If you drop your cards 50 times in 3 minutes, the expectation value is 5. It could be 3, 8, or something similar, but 30 is very unlikely. You get a binomial distribution with an expectation value of 1/10.

1. What is a 52 card Poisson Distribution experiment?

A 52 card Poisson Distribution experiment is a mathematical experiment that involves randomly drawing cards from a deck of 52 cards and recording the number of occurrences of a specific event, such as drawing a certain suit or face value. This type of experiment follows the principles of the Poisson distribution, which is a probability distribution that calculates the likelihood of a certain number of events occurring within a fixed time or space.

2. How is the Poisson distribution used in a 52 card experiment?

The Poisson distribution is used to calculate the probability of a certain number of events occurring in a fixed interval, based on the average rate of occurrence. In a 52 card experiment, this can be applied to determine the likelihood of drawing a certain number of cards of a specific suit or face value out of the total 52 cards.

3. What are the assumptions made in a 52 card Poisson Distribution experiment?

There are several assumptions made in a 52 card Poisson Distribution experiment, including:

• Each card drawn is independent of the previous card drawn
  • The probability of drawing a certain card remains constant throughout the experiment
  • The total number of cards drawn is fixed (52 in this case)
  • The events (drawing a certain card) are rare and occur randomly

4. How is the mean calculated in a 52 card Poisson Distribution experiment?

The mean, or average, in a 52 card Poisson Distribution experiment can be calculated by multiplying the total number of trials (52) by the probability of the event occurring (e.g. drawing a certain suit or face value). For example, if the probability of drawing a heart is 1/4, the mean would be 52 x 1/4 = 13. This means that on average, we would expect to draw 13 hearts in a 52 card experiment.

5. What are some real-world applications of a 52 card Poisson Distribution experiment?

The 52 card Poisson Distribution experiment can be applied in various fields, including:

• Gambling: calculating the odds of drawing a certain hand in a card game
  • Genetics: determining the likelihood of inheriting a specific gene from a parent
  • Manufacturing: predicting the number of defective items in a batch based on past data
  • Insurance: assessing risks and predicting the number of claims based on past data