555 timer IC - Calculating resistance needed

In summary, the conversation involves calculating the resistance needed for two resistors in an a-stable oscillator to charge and discharge a capacitor in order to prevent an LED from blowing. The circuit currently has too much resistance, resulting in a dimly lit LED. The relevant equations and a worksheet are provided, and the datasheet for the 555 chip is referenced. Suggestions are given for adjusting the circuit to increase the LED brightness.
ToXic_Knight
Voltage = 9.0 V, Current = 20 mA, Capacitor (C) = 10 microF, Resistance before (too high) [R_A = R_B] = 10 k Ohms.

In a a-stable oscillator, calculating the resistance needed for two resistors (R_A = R_B) to discharge and charge a capacitor (C) so that a LED does not blow. Currently my circuit has much too much resistance for testing and it works with the LED very dimly.

Here is the worksheet: http://i.imgur.com/nx6bnkw.jpg

a-stable oscillator: http://i.imgur.com/xWSC25R.jpg

Relevant equations
I know questions I have to do shortly require a few calculations with the resistance and capacitor, but I need other values first.
t_charge = (R_A + R_B)C sec

The attempt at a solution
I assume V_cc is the input voltage, so that is 9V. I have measured that the amplitude from V_low to V_high is 9V. I thought V_low should be zero, but the diagram has it separate and I don't know whether to follow that or not.

I know that V_D to V_U has amplitude 3V, but I have no idea what the actual values are.

This is probably very wrong, but I could assume that the distance between zero and V_D and V_CC is 9-3 = 6 V and that each then must be 3 V.

Time to charge is 150 ms, time to discharge is 65 ms.

Summary of measurements: http://puu.sh/hvONo/851b30c03f.png

I'll keep editing this post as I work on it, but I've been stuck for days without making much progress.
Other questions:
Reading the questions ahead, I don't feel very confident with them either, so some tips or telling me what equations/variables to use would be very helpful.

Scary questions: http://i.imgur.com/Mf6iBij.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2jSn6A9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0S8WBj8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From memory, doesn't the datasheet for the 555 indicate that the internal comparator voltages VD and VU are derived from a string of 3 equal-valued resistors between VCC and ground? So for VCC of 9v, these switching levels you see on the capacitor curve will be 3V and 6V, resp.

Are you determining the charging/discharging durations using the design equations provided in this chip's datasheet, or are you attempting to derive these for yourself from the exponential relationship?

Do you have the 555 datasheet (probably about 15 pages) as a pdf that you can constantly refer to?

ToXic_Knight said:
I know that V_D to V_U has amplitude 3V, but I have no idea what the actual values are.
This implies that you are attempting this lab investigation without looking at the datasheet ...
kPdWZ.png

If that is the case, I don't think we can help you.

P.S. your thread title was uninformative, I edited it

Last edited:
Likes ToXic_Knight
ToXic_Knight said:
In a a-stable oscillator, calculating the resistance needed for two resistors (R_A = R_B) to discharge and charge a capacitor (C) so that a LED does not blow. .

There is a 470R in series with the LED. If the LED was ON all the time the current in the LED would be about... (9-2)/470 = 15mA (Assuming the voltage drop across the diode is about 2V). Many LED will work just fine at 20mA so the circuit might be fail safe (eg LED won't blow even if the oscillator stops in the ON state). What does the data sheet for your LED say?

Currently my circuit has much too much resistance for testing and it works with the LED very dimly

Your "summary of measurements" sheet suggests the ON:OFF ratio is 75:150 so the LED is ON about 75/225 or 33% of the time. That drops the average LED current to about 0.33 * 15mA = 5mA. May explain why it's dim?

At this point I have to ask... What are you trying to achieve?

You could reduce the 470R to make the LED brighter but this might stop it being fail safe.

You could increase the ON/OFF ratio to make the LED brighter. The data sheet for the 555 explains how to calculate the ON/OFF ratio. See 7.4.2. pages 10 and 11.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm555.pdf

Likes ToXic_Knight
NascentOxygen said:
From memory, doesn't the datasheet for the 555 indicate that the internal comparator voltages VD and VU are derived from a string of 3 equal-valued resistors between VCC and ground? So for VCC of 9v, these switching levels you see on the capacitor curve will be 3V and 6V, resp.

Are you determining the charging/discharging durations using the design equations provided in this chip's datasheet, or are you attempting to derive these for yourself from the exponential relationship?

Do you have the 555 datasheet (probably about 15 pages) as a pdf that you can constantly refer to?This implies that you are attempting this lab investigation without looking at the datasheet ...
kPdWZ.png

If that is the case, I don't think we can help you.

P.S. your thread title was uninformative, I edited it

ToXic_Knight said:
Thanks, sorry, I'm not used to this and keep forgetting to check data sheets and other information, thanks.
Thanks, sorry, I'm not used to this and keep forgetting to check data sheets and other information, thanks.

1. What is a 555 timer IC and what is its function?

A 555 timer IC is an integrated circuit used in electronic devices as a timer, oscillator, and pulse generator. Its function is to produce precise and stable time intervals.

2. How do I calculate the resistance needed for a 555 timer IC?

The resistance needed for a 555 timer IC can be calculated using the formula R = (0.693 * (Vcc - 2) * C) / ln(2), where R is the resistance in ohms, Vcc is the supply voltage, and C is the capacitance in Farads. This formula is used for calculating the timing resistor (R1) in astable and monostable configurations.

3. Can I use any type of resistor for a 555 timer IC?

Yes, you can use any type of resistor as long as its value is within the required range. However, carbon film or metal film resistors are preferred over carbon composition or wire wound resistors due to their higher stability and lower noise levels.

4. How does changing the resistance affect the output of a 555 timer IC?

Changing the resistance affects the timing and frequency of the output signal. Increasing the resistance will result in longer time intervals and lower frequencies, while decreasing the resistance will result in shorter time intervals and higher frequencies.

5. What is the maximum and minimum resistance that can be used with a 555 timer IC?

The maximum resistance that can be used with a 555 timer IC is determined by the input impedance, which is typically around 10^12 ohms. The minimum resistance will depend on the specific configuration and desired output, but it is generally recommended to use a resistance above 1k ohm to ensure stability and avoid noise interference.