65-year-old theif released from prison

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, after serving 35 years in prison for stealing a black-and-white television set, Junior Allen has been released and is now a free man. His parole could last up to five years, but it is unlikely that he will commit any more violent acts. Allen's case raises questions about the sentencing of non-violent crimes, as he was sentenced to life in prison for second-degree burglary. His release was granted after he had no infractions for 3 years and completed a work program.
Mk
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050529/ap_on_fe_st/television_thief
After 35 years in prison for stealing a black-and-white television set, Junior Allen is a free man.

"I'm glad to be out," Allen told supporters outside Orange County Correctional Center. "I've done too much time for what I did. I won't be truly happy until I see a sign that says I'm outside of North Carolina."

Allen was a 30-year-old migrant farm worker from Georgia with a criminal history that included burglaries and a violent assault when he sneaked into an unlocked house and stole a 19-inch TV. Some state records say Allen roughed up the 87-year-old woman who lived there, but he was not convicted of assault. Instead, he was sentenced in 1970 to life in prison for second-degree burglary.

He did so well he was released several months early — on his 26th try at parole.

His parole could last up to five years, meaning he could gain complete freedom by age 70, but there probably won't be many more violent actions from him.

"For a black-and-white TV, how much do you have to pay?" Hasberry said. "We've got an in-house joke here: How much time would he have gotten if he had stolen a color TV?"

I wonder how many 65-year olds you see in prison for stealing TVs? :bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure life is too much, but he was a repeated criminal.

I think the appropriate time would be 5 years tops, and even then 5 years is a hell of a lot of time and can't possibly be assigned to a first timer.

26 times in front of the parole board makes me believe he had some other issues while imprisoned. Perhaps he continued his pattern of violent behavior while locked up. I'm thinking the assault aspect of the older woman{plus a history of assault}, played heavily in the sentencing.
It was only after he had no infractions for 3 years and completed a work program he was deemed safe.

Weird case, although can't really get a complete picture what comes to this case, the "strikes" concept does seem to go against "common sense" repeatedly.

1. How likely is a 65-year-old thief to reoffend after being released from prison?

The likelihood of a 65-year-old thief reoffending after being released from prison depends on various factors such as the individual's criminal history, access to support and resources, and their motivation to change their behavior. Generally, older individuals have a lower risk of reoffending compared to younger individuals.

2. What rehabilitation programs are available for a 65-year-old thief upon release from prison?

There are various rehabilitation programs available for individuals upon release from prison, including job training, counseling, substance abuse treatment, and reentry programs that help with housing and employment. These programs aim to help individuals successfully reintegrate into society and reduce their chances of reoffending.

3. Can a 65-year-old thief receive parole or early release from prison?

Whether a 65-year-old thief is eligible for parole or early release from prison depends on the laws and regulations in their jurisdiction. In some cases, older individuals may be considered for early release due to their age and health conditions, but this decision is made on a case-by-case basis.

4. What support systems are in place for a 65-year-old thief upon release from prison?

There are various support systems in place for individuals upon release from prison, including probation officers, social workers, and community organizations. These support systems aim to help individuals with housing, employment, and other needs to aid in their successful reintegration into society.

5. Can a 65-year-old thief have their criminal record expunged after being released from prison?

The possibility of having a criminal record expunged after being released from prison depends on the laws and regulations in the individual's jurisdiction, as well as the severity of their crime. In some cases, certain offenses may be eligible for expungement, but this is not guaranteed and typically requires a lengthy legal process.