95% Confidence Interval for Staying Awake at UMUC

In summary: [overline{x}] - t[a/2][overline{x}] = 1.9t = 2.262a = .05[overline{x}] - t[a/2][overline{x}] = 1.9t = 2.262a = .05[overline{x}] - t[a/2][overline{x}] = 1.1t = 2.262a = .05[overline{x}] - t[a/2][overline{x}
elove
This is the word problem I am faced with... I have provided my answer. Please give input if I am right or wrong.

It is 1581 Anno Domini. At the Undergraduate School of UMUC, besides Assistant Academic Director of Mathematics and Statistics, I am also the Undergraduate School-appointed CPA, Coffee Pot Attendant. I have taken this job very seriously, because I believe that I am the key to increased productivity at the Undergraduate School. Why, by mid-morning, many of my colleagues act as if they were zombies. It is imperative that I restore productivity via a secret naturally-occurring molecule, caffeine... In order to see if my secret molecule works, I have observed the time, in hours, a random selection of ten of my colleagues who could stay awake at the extremely long-winded Dean's meeting as soon as it started. Oh, yes, one fell asleep even before the meeting started!

1.9 0.8 1.1 0.1 -0.1
4.4 5.5 1.6 4.6 3.4

Now, I have to complete a report to the Provost's Office on the effectiveness of my secret molecule so that UMUC can file for a patent at the United Provinces Patent and Trademark Office as soon as possible. Oh, yes, I am waiting for a handsome reward from the Provost.

But I need the following information:

• What is a 95% confidence interval for the time my colleagues can stay awake on average for all of my colleagues?

• Was my secret molecule effective in increasing their attention span, I mean, staying awake? And, please explain

My work so far for the 1st question…

To answer this question I began by finding the mean:
1.9+.8+1.1+.1+-.1+4.4+5.5+1.6+4.6+3.4= 23.3/10= 2.33

I then calculated the standard deviation:
∑(𝑥−µ)2𝑛−1=4.009
4.009=2.0022

From there, I calculated the degree of freedom and used the Inverse t Distribution calculator to find the t for confidence interval:
𝐷𝐹=𝑛−1=9
T for confidence interval = 2.262

Finally, I calculated the lower limit:
2.33−(2.262)(2.002210)=.897

And the upper limit:
2.33+(2.262)(2.002210)=3.762

Therefore, the answer is:
.897< µ<3.762

I have no idea how to answer the 2nd question! Opinion based? or based off the 1st question's answer?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning for question $(1)$ looks good. Generally, a $95\%$ confidence interval (thus significance level $\alpha = 5\%$) is given by (assuming normality of the data)
$$\left[\overline{x} - t_{\alpha/2}\frac{s}{\sqrt{n}}, \overline{x} + t_{\alpha/2}\frac{s}{\sqrt{n}}\right].$$
Your computation of the sample variance $s$ looks messy without LaTEX code. What do you obtain for $s/\sqrt{n}$?

Siron said:
Your reasoning for question $(1)$ looks good. Generally, a $95\%$ confidence interval (thus significance level $\alpha = 5\%$) is given by (assuming normality of the data)
$$\left[\overline{x} - t_{\alpha/2}\frac{s}{\sqrt{n}}, \overline{x} + t_{\alpha/2}\frac{s}{\sqrt{n}}\right].$$
Your computation of the sample variance $s$ looks messy without LaTEX code. What do you obtain for $s/\sqrt{n}$?

I don't know how to properly use the coding on here.
I can see how you did it so let me see if I can write it better.

s = 2.0022

n = 9

$s/\sqrt{n}$

so 2.0022/ 3

= 0.6674

if I give you all my values can you properly code them on here? so I show my work better

[overline{x}] = 2.33

t = 2.262

a = .05

1. What is a 95% confidence interval?

A 95% confidence interval is a range of values that is likely to contain the true population parameter with a confidence level of 95%. In other words, if we were to repeat the study multiple times, we would expect the true population parameter to fall within the calculated interval 95% of the time.

2. Why is a confidence interval important for studying staying awake at UMUC?

A confidence interval is important because it allows us to estimate the true proportion of students who stay awake at UMUC with a certain degree of certainty. This can help us make informed decisions and draw conclusions about the population based on a sample of data.

3. How is a 95% confidence interval calculated for staying awake at UMUC?

A 95% confidence interval for staying awake at UMUC can be calculated using statistical software or by hand using the formula: CI = p ± z*√(p(1-p)/n), where p is the sample proportion, z is the critical value from the standard normal distribution, and n is the sample size.

4. What does it mean if the 95% confidence interval for staying awake at UMUC includes 0?

If the 95% confidence interval includes 0, it means that we cannot be confident that the true proportion of students who stay awake at UMUC is different from 0. In other words, there may not be a significant difference between the proportion of students who stay awake at UMUC and the proportion who do not.

5. How can we interpret the results of a 95% confidence interval for staying awake at UMUC?

If the 95% confidence interval for staying awake at UMUC is narrow, it means that we have a precise estimate of the true proportion with a high degree of confidence. If the interval is wide, it means that our estimate is less precise and we have less confidence in the true proportion. Additionally, if the interval does not include 0, it suggests that there is a significant difference in the proportion of students who stay awake at UMUC compared to those who do not.