Confidence interval to stay awake while listening to the Dean

In summary: The confidence interval for the time my colleagues can stay awake on average for all of my colleagues is (2.33, 2.96).
sfm1985
Confidence Interval or the lack of it...

It is 1581 Anno Domini. At the Undergraduate School of UMUC, besides Assistant Academic Director of Mathematics and Statistics, I am also the Undergraduate School-appointed CPA, Coffee Pot Attendant.

It is a very important office sponsored by the Holy See.

I have taken this job very seriously, because I believe that I am the key to increased productivity at the Undergraduate School. Why, by mid-morning, many of my colleagues act as if they were

It is imperative that I restore productivity via a secret naturally-occurring molecule, caffeine...

In order to see if my secret molecule works, a random sample of ten colleagues who had the coffee before the Dean's meeting was selected.

I have observed the time, in hours, for those 10 colleagues to stay awake at the extremely long-winded Dean's meeting as soon as it started. Oh, yes, one fell asleep even before the meeting started!

1.9 0.8 1.1 0.1 -0.1
4.4 5.5 1.6 4.6 3.4 Now, I have to complete a report to the Provost's Office on the effectiveness of my secret molecule so that UMUC can file for a patent at the United Provinces Patent and Trademark Office as soon as possible. Oh, yes, I am waiting for a handsome reward from the Provost... But I need the following information:
•What is a 95% confidence interval for the time my colleagues can stay awake on average for all of my colleagues? (Show the work to get full credit)
•Was my secret molecule effective in increasing their attention span, I mean, staying awake? And, please explain...This is what I have so far, after this I am stuck:
1.9 4.4
0.8 5.5
1.1 1.6
0.1 4.6
-0.1 3.4

Mean 2.33
SD 2.002249

In order to find the mean I took:
1.9+.8+1.1+.1+-.1+4.4+5.5+1.6+4.6+3.4= 23.3/10= 2.33

[/B]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome, sfm1985!

If the sample mean, $\bar{x}$, and sample variance, $s$, are known, then a 95% confidence interval takes the form

$$\left(\bar{x} - 1.96\frac{s}{\sqrt{n}}, \bar{x} + 1.96\frac{s}{\sqrt{n}}\right)$$

where $n$ is the sample size. In your case, $n = 10$. Plug in your values of $\bar{x}$ and $s$ into this formula to compute the confidence interval.

1. What is a confidence interval?

A confidence interval is a range of values that is likely to contain the true value of a population parameter with a certain level of confidence. It is calculated using a sample of data and takes into account the variability of the data.

2. How is a confidence interval calculated?

A confidence interval is typically calculated using a formula that takes into account the sample size, the standard deviation of the data, and the desired level of confidence. The most commonly used formula is the margin of error method, which takes the sample mean and standard deviation to calculate the upper and lower bounds of the confidence interval.

3. What is the significance of the confidence level in a confidence interval?

The confidence level in a confidence interval represents the probability that the true population parameter falls within the calculated range. For example, a confidence level of 95% means that there is a 95% probability that the true value falls within the confidence interval.

4. How does the sample size affect the confidence interval?

The larger the sample size, the narrower the confidence interval will be. This is because a larger sample size provides more precise and accurate estimates of the population parameter, resulting in a smaller margin of error.

5. Can a confidence interval be used to make a definitive statement about the population?

No, a confidence interval only provides a range of values that is likely to contain the true population parameter. It does not give a precise estimate of the true value, and therefore cannot be used to make definitive statements about the population.