99.9999% sure the book is wrong about this circumference problem

In summary, the book says that it would take 168,167,364 balls to circle the Earth, but the attempt at a solution suggests that it would take 26,700,000 balls. Both of these numbers are off by a significant amount.
ISX

Homework Statement

The circumference of a ball is 29.6 inches. Given that the radius of Earth is about 6400 km, how many balls would it take to circle around the equator with the balls touching one another?

Homework Equations

(d)(pi) = circumference
1 inch = 0.0254 meters
1 km = 1000 meters

The Attempt at a Solution

Ball diameter = ((29.6)(0.0254))/3.14 = 0.239 m
Earth circumference = (6400)(2)(3.14)(1000) = 40,192,000 m

# of balls circumnavigating the equator = 40,192,000/0.239 = 168,167,364

In the back of the book it says 26,700,000 balls (it only uses 3 significant digits) and I can get that if I divide the radius of the Earth by the ball diameter: ((6400)(1000))/0.239 = 26,700,000

I don't see why they are using the radius when it says around the earth, not halfway through it. Am I right here? Didn't know if there was some sort of magic I was missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you, although you should lose a few significant figures.

ISX said:

Homework Statement

The circumference of a ball is 29.6 inches. Given that the radius of Earth is about 6400 km, how many balls would it take to circle around the equator with the balls touching one another?

Homework Equations

(d)(pi) = circumference
1 inch = 0.0254 meters
1 km = 1000 meters

The Attempt at a Solution

Ball diameter = ((29.6)(0.0254))/3.14 = 0.239 m
Earth circumference = (6400)(2)(3.14)(1000) = 40,192,000 m

# of balls circumnavigating the equator = 40,192,000/0.239 = 168,167,364

In the back of the book it says 26,700,000 balls (it only uses 3 significant digits) and I can get that if I divide the radius of the Earth by the ball diameter: ((6400)(1000))/0.239 = 26,700,000

I don't see why they are using the radius when it says around the earth, not halfway through it. Am I right here? Didn't know if there was some sort of magic I was missing.

It does look like the book's answer is wrong. But I believe that your answer is slightly wrong as well. Can you think of a small error term that you did not take into account in your calculation?

Yes the ball radius makes the Earth's diameter bigger since the ball isn't flat, I didn't think that would hardly make a difference when they always round it giving it a huge tolerance of error.

ISX said:
Yes the ball radius makes the Earth's diameter bigger since the ball isn't flat, I didn't think that would hardly make a difference when they always round it giving it a huge tolerance of error.

I'll agree with that. There's other small approximation errors as well. Like the amount of circumference a ball occupies isn't exactly the same as the diameter of the ball. The 'exact' way to do it would be to find the angle subtended by a ball as viewed from the center of the Earth and divide it into 2*pi. Just for fun I did the number the ISX way and then did it that way and looked at the difference. It's pretty close to pi balls. Which you can account for with that radius correction. So you don't even need a 'huge tolerance of error'. The given answer would be right to within a few balls if a more accurate version of pi were used, assuming all of the other numbers were exact.

Last edited:
Using your given numbers I get 26,742,651 so I think your text is correct.

LCKurtz said:

Can you show your work? ISX is 99.9999% sure. Ibix agreed. Berkeman agreed. I did it two different ways and I agree. I'm really interested.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:

Care to explain how?

Dick said:
Can you show your work? ISX is 99.9999% sure. Ibix agreed. Berkeman agreed. I did it two different ways and I agree. I'm really interested.

ISX said:
Care to explain how?

Now you guys have me worried -- hold on, I'll check...

Yup. I must have made the same mistake the book did. I used 29.6 as the radius instead of the circumference. :redface:

Had me worried there lol.

LCKurtz said:
Yup. I must have made the same mistake the book did. I used 29.6 as the radius instead of the circumference. :redface:

I was just thinking you had responded to the initial post without reading anything of what the responses were further down the line. That can be kind of annoying.

Last edited:

1. Is it possible to be 99.9999% sure about anything in science?

While science is constantly evolving and new discoveries are being made, it is possible to be highly confident in certain theories or principles based on extensive evidence and research. In this case, the 99.9999% certainty refers to the overwhelming evidence supporting a particular conclusion.

2. How is the circumference problem being measured or calculated?

The circumference of an object is typically calculated using the formula C = 2πr, where C is the circumference, π is the mathematical constant pi, and r is the radius. The measurement of the radius and the use of accurate mathematical calculations are crucial in determining the circumference of an object.

3. What evidence supports the claim that the book's measurement of the circumference is incorrect?

The evidence supporting this claim could vary, but it may include measurements made by other scientists or researchers, discrepancies in the book's calculations, or new evidence that contradicts the book's conclusion. It is important to thoroughly examine and analyze all available evidence before concluding that the book is wrong.

4. How can we be sure that the book's conclusion is incorrect?

It is impossible to be 100% certain about anything in science, as our understanding of the natural world is always evolving. However, if there is sufficient evidence and logical reasoning that contradicts the book's conclusion, it is reasonable to be highly confident that the book is wrong in this instance.

5. Can we trust the author's credibility in this matter?

The author's credibility should always be taken into consideration when evaluating scientific claims. It is important to research the author's background, credentials, and any potential biases that may impact their conclusions. Additionally, considering multiple sources and opinions can also help determine the reliability of the author's claims.