Calculations to prove the non-Euclidean nature of 3-D space

In summary, Anthony French's book, Newtonian Mechanics, while explaining the non-Euclidean nature of the 3-d space, poses a problem (I have rephrased it slightly):You are on Earth's equator (r = 6,400 km) at the prime meridian (point I).You first walk along the equator 1000 miles east and reach another meridian at point J. You then walk 1000 miles north along that meridian and reach a point K (red arrows).You go back to point I and walk along the prime meridian 1000 north and reach a point Q on some small circle. You then walk 1000 miles east along that small circle and reach a point R (
KedarMhaswade
TL;DR Summary
This post asks about the precise conversion between the 3-d Cartesian and Spherical Polar coordinates. The problem is from Anthony French's book: Newtonian Mechanics.
In Anthony French's book, Newtonian Mechanics, while explaining the non-Euclidean nature of the 3-d space, he poses a problem (I have rephrased it slightly):
  1. Suppose you are on Earth's equator (r = 6,400 km) at the prime meridian (point I).
  2. You first walk along the equator 1000 miles east and reach another meridian at point J. You then walk 1000 miles north along that meridian and reach a point K (red arrows).
  3. You go back to point I and walk along the prime meridian 1000 north and reach a point Q on some small circle. You then walk 1000 miles east along that small circle and reach a point R (blue arrows).
Are K and R the same point? If not, what is the distance between those two points?

Here is the figure (zoomed in):
non-euclidean-space-zoomed.png

To simplify somewhat, we assume a sphere and therefore no geodesy is involved. I assume the physics convention of the Spherical Polar coordinates, i.e. the coordinates are: ##(r,\theta,\varphi)## where ##r## is the radius, ##\theta## is the polar angle, and ##\varphi## is the azimuthal angle.

My plan was to calculate Cartesian coordinates for K and R and determine the distance between the two. I guess I can make some progress on calculations, since the determination of ##r## (##6400 km##)and ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## appears straightforward. However, I am unsure how to calculate the ##\varphi## for the points K and R. For instance, in case of point K, ##\varphi## is different from the angle ##A_1## whose radian measure is ##\frac{1000\cdot 2\pi}{c}## where ##c## is Earth's circumference.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a minor correction, the space defined by the surface of the [hypothetical ideally spherical] Earth is, two dimensional, not three dimensional. [Roughly speaking, the "dimension" of a space is the number of coordinates you need to specify a position within that space. Although you could use three coordinates (e.g. x, y and z), you only need two (e.g. latitude and longitude)].

Be that as it may, I have a concern with the drawing. As I understand it, both point Q and point R are 1000 miles north of the equator. Would that not put them on the same line of latitude?

jbriggs444 said:
Be that as it may, I have a concern with the drawing. As I understand it, both point Q and point R are 1000 miles north of the equator. Would that not put them on the same line of latitude?
Good point! I think you mean points K and R. I agree, they are at the same latitude. Will correct that.

For the record however, the book also shows a figure (pp. 60) where points K and R appear on different latitudes.

KedarMhaswade said:
Good point! I think you mean points K and R. I agree, they are at the same latitude. Will correct that.
Yes. It should be clear that Q, K and R are all on the same line of latitude. It is a lesson not to trust drawings too much.

I couldn't edit my post on this PF web interface :oops:. I redrew the figure. Hope it clarifies.
non-euclidean-space-zoomed-corrected.png

What is the concept of non-Euclidean 3-D space?

Non-Euclidean 3-D space refers to a mathematical concept in which the fundamental principles of Euclidean geometry, such as parallel lines never intersecting and the sum of angles in a triangle being 180 degrees, do not hold true. This means that the geometry of this space does not follow the rules of traditional Euclidean geometry.

How can calculations be used to prove the non-Euclidean nature of 3-D space?

Calculations, such as measuring angles and distances, can be used to demonstrate that the properties of non-Euclidean 3-D space do not align with those of Euclidean geometry. By showing that the results of these calculations do not match the expected values based on Euclidean principles, the non-Euclidean nature of the space can be proven.

What are some examples of non-Euclidean 3-D spaces?

Some common examples of non-Euclidean 3-D spaces include spherical geometry, hyperbolic geometry, and elliptic geometry. These spaces have different rules and principles than Euclidean geometry, and can be proven to be non-Euclidean through calculations and measurements.

Why is proving the non-Euclidean nature of 3-D space important?

Proving the non-Euclidean nature of 3-D space is important because it expands our understanding of the universe and challenges traditional mathematical principles. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, where the laws of non-Euclidean geometry can be used to explain phenomena that cannot be explained by Euclidean geometry.

What impact does the non-Euclidean nature of 3-D space have on our daily lives?

The non-Euclidean nature of 3-D space may not have a direct impact on our daily lives, but it has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe and has led to advancements in fields such as mathematics, physics, and astronomy. It also challenges our perception of the world and encourages us to think outside of traditional frameworks and principles.