How Do You Calculate Current in Lamps with Different Wattages?

In summary, a 60W lamp and a 120W lamp differ in their wattage, with the 120W lamp consuming more power and producing more light and heat. It is not recommended to use a 120W lamp in place of a 60W lamp as it can cause damage. The wattage of a lamp directly affects its brightness, with higher wattage resulting in brighter light. Other factors such as bulb type, color temperature, and lumens can also impact brightness. A 60W lamp is more energy-efficient than a 120W lamp, making it important to consider wattage and energy efficiency when choosing a lamp.
Elliott.98
A 60W lamp and a 120W lamp each have a potential difference of 120V across their terminals.

a) What is the current through each lamp?

I think you use the formula I = P/V and so:

Lamp #1 = I = 60/120 and Lamp #2 = I = 120/120

But I don't know if that is right?

Thank you so much for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Elliott.98 said:
But I don't know if that is right?

It's absolutely correct.

( Generally: Remember units. If they don't match, you have made an error ).

Hesch said:
It's absolutely correct.

( Generally: Remember units. If they don't match, you have made an error ).

Ok, thank you!

1. What is the difference between a 60W lamp and a 120W lamp?

A 60W lamp and a 120W lamp differ in their wattage, which is a measure of the amount of power they consume. The 60W lamp consumes 60 watts of power, while the 120W lamp consumes 120 watts. This means that the 120W lamp will produce more light and heat than the 60W lamp.

2. Can I use a 120W lamp in place of a 60W lamp?

No, it is not recommended to use a 120W lamp in place of a 60W lamp. The 120W lamp will consume more power and produce more heat, which can potentially cause damage to the lamp and surrounding fixtures. It is important to use the correct wattage for the designated lamp.

3. How does the wattage of a lamp affect its brightness?

The wattage of a lamp directly affects its brightness. The higher the wattage, the brighter the lamp will be. This is because a higher wattage means the lamp consumes more power, which is then converted into light energy.

4. Are there any other factors besides wattage that can affect the brightness of a lamp?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the brightness of a lamp. These include the type of bulb, the color temperature, and the lumens. A higher number of lumens will result in a brighter light, regardless of the wattage.

5. Is a 120W lamp more energy-efficient than a 60W lamp?

No, a 60W lamp is more energy-efficient than a 120W lamp. This is because the 60W lamp consumes less power and therefore, uses less energy. It is important to consider the wattage and energy efficiency when choosing a lamp to help reduce energy consumption and costs.