A ball is dropped from the top of a building....

In summary: We are given information on both the distance fallen and on the final velocity. From that information [and an assumption of constant acceleration] it is possible to write down an expression for the actual acceleration. That acceleration might not be 9.8 m/s2.
Peter Groppino

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from the top of a building and falls vertically downwards. Air resistance can be neglected. After falling a distance d, the speed of the ball is v. Determine the speed of the ball (in terms of v) when it has fallen a distance of 2d.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We tried to isolate for V2 and d and then substitute them into each other but that didn't work. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show the relevant equations and what you did with them in your work.

FactChecker said:
You should show the relevant equations and what you did with them in your work.
I'm sorry but what's a relevant equation? a=9.8m/s2 and V1=0m/s and I'm not sure what to put for d and V2 which is what we are solving for. Not sure if that helps?

Can you identify what kind of problem this is, e.g., what concepts are relevant? What do you mean by "university acceleration" in the title? You're referring to ##d##, ##v_1##, and ##v_2##. The variable ##d## is defined in the problem statement, but we'd have to guess what you mean by ##v_1## and ##v_2##.

vela said:
Can you identify what kind of problem this is, e.g., what concepts are relevant? What do you mean by "university acceleration" in the title? You're referring to ##d##, ##v_1##, and ##v_2##. The variable ##d## is defined in the problem statement, but we'd have to guess what you mean by ##v_1## and ##v_2##.
Im sorry I am in grade 12 doing a "University" question. I just wrote down what the question asked me. I have no clue what to do. Sorry

Peter Groppino said:
Im sorry I am in grade 12 doing a "University" question. I just wrote down what the question asked me. I have no clue what to do. Sorry

Hint: Distance is the area under a graph of speed against time.

Peter Groppino said:
I'm sorry but what's a relevant equation? a=9.8m/s2 and V1=0m/s and I'm not sure what to put for d and V2 which is what we are solving for. Not sure if that helps?
We are given information on both the distance fallen and on the final velocity. From that information [and an assumption of constant acceleration] it is possible to write down an expression for the actual acceleration. That acceleration might not be 9.8 m/s2.

What are some equations that you know for motion under constant acceleration? Or for work, momentum and kinetic energy?

1. What factors affect the ball's motion when dropped from a building?

The main factors that affect the ball's motion are gravity, air resistance, and the height of the building. Gravity pulls the ball downwards at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. Air resistance, or the force of air pushing against the ball as it falls, can also impact its motion. The height of the building also plays a role in determining how fast the ball will fall.

2. How does the weight of the ball impact its descent from the building?

The weight of the ball does not impact its descent from the building. In a vacuum, where there is no air resistance, all objects fall at the same rate regardless of their weight. However, in the real world, air resistance can cause lighter objects to fall slower than heavier objects.

3. Is the ball's motion affected by the material of the building it is dropped from?

No, the material of the building does not affect the ball's motion as long as the building is tall enough to allow the ball to reach its terminal velocity. Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach while falling, and it is determined by the force of gravity and air resistance.

4. How does the height of the building affect the ball's final velocity?

The higher the building, the faster the ball will be traveling when it reaches the ground. This is because the ball has more time to accelerate due to the force of gravity pulling it downwards. However, once the ball reaches its terminal velocity, increasing the height of the building will not impact its final velocity.

5. Can the ball's motion be predicted using a mathematical equation?

Yes, the ball's motion can be predicted using the equation d=1/2gt^2, where d is the distance traveled, g is the acceleration of gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds. This equation allows us to calculate the distance the ball will fall in a given amount of time.