A basic doubt about stress and strain

In summary, stress is the internal force per unit area. When the forces are balance out, the deformation happens. The cross area tells you how many molecules on same plane (perpendicular to external forces) are resisting at once. When the resistive forces of all the molecules on that plane is overwhelmed by the external forces, the bar breaks at the smallest cross section.
baldbrain
Homework Statement
What causes axial deformation in a bar if the force gets balanced out by the internal resistance?
Relevant Equations
#σ=F/A#
While introducing tensile stress, we're shown a bar fixed at a support being subjected to a force in the axial direction at the opposite end. Then, since the bar is in translational equilibrium, we say that internal forces must balance it out, and this internal resistance per unit area is known as tensile stress. This results in deformation of the bar in the direction of the applied force.
But my question is, if the forces are getting balanced out, what's causing the deformation?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
baldbrain said:
Homework Statement:: What causes axial deformation in a bar if the force gets balanced out by the internal resistance?
Relevant Equations:: #σ=F/A#

While introducing tensile stress, we're shown a bar fixed at a support being subjected to a force in the axial direction at the opposite end. Then, since the bar is in translational equilibrium, we say that internal forces must balance it out, and this internal resistance per unit area is known as tensile stress. This results in deformation of the bar in the direction of the applied force.
But my question is, if the forces are getting balanced out, what's causing the deformation?:confused:
The deformation is what happens before the forces get balanced out. And before the vibrations have died out.

baldbrain said:
Homework Statement:: What causes axial deformation in a bar if the force gets balanced out by the internal resistance?
Relevant Equations:: #σ=F/A#

First of all, stress is not internal resistance. It is the internal force per unit area.

Secondly, when you stretch a spring, if the forces are balance out, what's causing the spring to deform.

Chestermiller said:
First of all, stress is not internal resistance. It is the internal force per unit area.
Yes, I had said internal resistance per unit area. Do you mean it's not resistive?

Chestermiller said:
Secondly, when you stretch a spring, if the forces are balance out, what's causing the spring to deform.
Yeah, good point. I admit I hadn't thought about that one either. I used to think that the restoring force starts acting only when the applied force stops acting, i.e. after you release the spring.
But it's what @jbriggs444 pointed out, isn't it?

Likes Delta2
Molecules inside the bar are happy keeping certain natural distance among them.
That keeps an internal balance of forces and distances while the bar is not under any external force; therefore, the bar has and keeps length L (at certain temperature).

Each of those molecules reacts with certain force that proportionally opposes to any external agent trying to increase or decrease that natural distance.
In your case, the external forces (at anchoring point and at end of the bar) cause a small increment of the inter-molecular spaces, which induces a reactive force from each molecule in the chain.

The result is an elonged or deformed bar, that contains internal forces, which summation equals or balance the applied external forces.
The cross area tells you how many molecules on same plane (perpendicular to external forces) are resisting at once.

Tensile stress is inversely proportional to the area of the cross-section of the bar.
The bar breaks at the smallest cross section when the resistive forces of all the molecules on that plane is overwhelmed by the external forces.

Last edited:
You are welcome. :smile:

Likes baldbrain

1. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is the force applied to an object, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the object.

2. How are stress and strain related?

Stress and strain are directly proportional to each other, meaning that as stress increases, strain also increases.

3. What is the formula for stress and strain?

The formula for stress is stress = force/area, while the formula for strain is strain = change in length/original length.

4. How does stress and strain affect materials?

Stress and strain can cause materials to deform, break, or change in shape depending on the amount and type of force applied.

5. How can stress and strain be measured?

Stress and strain can be measured using specialized instruments such as strain gauges or by conducting experiments to analyze the effects of force on a material.