A Basic Question Regarding the Universal Property of the Tensor Product.

In summary, the universal property of the tensor product is a mathematical concept that describes the unique properties of the tensor product in terms of bilinear maps. It is useful in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, and topology, and allows for the construction of new vector spaces. Bilinear maps are used in relation to the universal property to demonstrate the uniqueness and compatibility of the tensor product. This concept is also fundamental in tensor algebra, providing a way to manipulate tensors algebraically and proving important theorems and properties. Additionally, the universal property has real-world applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics and image processing.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
(All vector spaces are over a fixed field $F$).

Universal Property of Tensor Product. Given two finite dimensional vector spaces $V$ and $W$, the tensor product of $V$ and $W$ is a vector space $V\otimes W$, along with a multilinear map $\pi:V\times W\to V\otimes W$ such that whenever there is multilinear map $A:V\times W\to X$ to any vector space $X$, there exists a unique linear map $\bar A:V\otimes W\to X$ such that $\bar A\circ \pi = A$.Notation. We write $\pi(v,w)$ as $v\otimes w$.First Question: Is the map $\pi :V\times W\to V\otimes W$ sujective?

I think it should be surjective since $\pi(V\times W)$ also satisfies the universal property of tensor product of $V$ and $W$. Since $V\otimes W$ is given by a universal property, it is unique upto a unique isomorphism and thus $\pi$ should be surjective.

Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere in the the above said things.Main Question:
Assuming all is well so far, I am confused in the following:

Let $(e_1,\ldots, e_m)$ and $(f_1,\ldots, f_n)$ be bases for $V$ and $W$ repectively.

I was wondering what member of $V\times W$ maps to $e_1\otimes f_1 + e_2\otimes f_2$.

Since $\pi$ is surjective, some member should map to it.

But I am lost as to how to find it.

Can somebody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
(All vector spaces are over a fixed field $F$).

Universal Property of Tensor Product. Given two finite dimensional vector spaces $V$ and $W$, the tensor product of $V$ and $W$ is a vector space $V\otimes W$, along with a multilinear map $\pi:V\times W\to V\otimes W$ such that whenever there is multilinear map $A:V\times W\to X$ to any vector space $X$, there exists a unique linear map $\bar A:V\otimes W\to X$ such that $\bar A\circ \pi = A$.Notation. We write $\pi(v,w)$ as $v\otimes w$.First Question: Is the map $\pi :V\times W\to V\otimes W$ surjective?
No, that map is not usually surjective. In fact, if $\dim V = m$ and $\dim W = n$, then $\dim V\times W = m+n$, but $\dim V \otimes W = mn$.

One way to see this is that if $\{v_1,\ldots,v_m\}$ is a basis for $V$ and $\{w_1,\ldots,w_n\}$ is a basis for $W$, then $\{v_1,\ldots,v_m,w_1,\ldots,w_n\}$ is a basis for $V\times W$, and $\{v_i\otimes w_j : 1\leqslant i \leqslant m,1\leqslant j\leqslant n\}$ is a basis for $V\otimes W$.

Opalg said:
No, that map is not usually surjective. In fact, if $\dim V = m$ and $\dim W = n$, then $\dim V\times W = m+n$, but $\dim V \otimes W = mn$.

One way to see this is that if $\{v_1,\ldots,v_m\}$ is a basis for $V$ and $\{w_1,\ldots,w_n\}$ is a basis for $W$, then $\{v_1,\ldots,v_m,w_1,\ldots,w_n\}$ is a basis for $V\times W$, and $\{v_i\otimes w_j : 1\leqslant i \leqslant m,1\leqslant j\leqslant n\}$ is a basis for $V\otimes W$.
That clears things up. Thanks.

1. What is the universal property of the tensor product?

The universal property of the tensor product is a mathematical concept that describes the unique properties of the tensor product in terms of bilinear maps. It states that for any two vector spaces, there exists a unique bilinear map from their tensor product to any other vector space.

2. How is the universal property of the tensor product useful?

The universal property of the tensor product is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, and topology. It allows for the construction of new vector spaces and helps in understanding the structure of tensor products and their applications.

3. Can you explain the concept of bilinear maps in relation to the universal property of the tensor product?

Bilinear maps are functions that take two vector inputs and produce a scalar output, while preserving the properties of linearity. In the context of the universal property of the tensor product, bilinear maps are used to show the uniqueness of the tensor product and its compatibility with other vector space operations.

4. How does the universal property of the tensor product relate to tensor algebra?

The universal property of the tensor product is a fundamental concept in tensor algebra, as it provides a way to construct and manipulate tensors algebraically. It also helps in proving important theorems and properties of tensors, such as the tensor product of dual spaces and tensor contraction.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the universal property of the tensor product?

Yes, the universal property of the tensor product has various real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used in the study of electromagnetism, general relativity, and quantum mechanics, as well as in the design of computer graphics and image processing algorithms.