A block dropped on a spring, distance compressed unknown.

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum distance a spring is compressed when a block of mass 1.6 kg is dropped from a height of 61 cm onto the spring with a spring constant of 1820 N/m. The solution involves using the conservation of energy and setting the kinetic energy at the moment of impact equal to the potential energy of the compressed spring. However, different attempts at solving the problem have resulted in an awkward quadratic equation and a negative number under the square root. The correct answer is unknown.
ramses07
A block of mass m = 1.6 kg is dropped from height h = 61 cm (height above the spring, not total height) onto a spring of spring constant k = 1820 N/m (Fig. 8-38). Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

Homework Equations

K=-U, since all energy is conserved, work would equal zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

basically kinetic energy is zero, since its starts from zero and ends with zero.

so i this means that the potential energy must equate.

mgh (potential energy from block at H) = (kx^2)/2(potential energy from spring)

so basically the height from the spring is disclosed, but the spring compression isnt.

I tried this first

mg(x+h)=1/2kx^2

1.6kg * 9.8 m/s^2(x+.61cm)=910n/m *x^2

but it gives me an awkward quadratic equation, where the number under the square root would be negative.

I also tried to find to find the kinetic energy right before it touches the spring, and then apply it to the conservation of energy, where 1/2mvf^2=1/2kx^2 but that ddidnt work either, any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
ramses07 said:
I also tried to find to find the kinetic energy right before it touches the spring, and then apply it to the conservation of energy, where 1/2mvf^2=1/2kx^2 but that ddidnt work either...

Pls elaborate. What didn't work? Be careful with units (i.e. cm vs m).

well basically i found the kinetic energy right as it hits the spring, by using the equation
K=U.

which would be 1/2mvf^2-1/2mvi^2=-mgh

the initial velocity would be zero, so that cancels, and leaves me with

1/2mvf^2=-mgh

so i use the kinetic energy produced by the distance from the spring and plug it into the
conservation of elastic energy equation

-1/2mvi^2(kinetic energy produce by the drop)=1/2kx^2(potential elastic energy)

but this equation didnt produce the correct answer either, and i actually don't know the answer since its an online homework assessment.

Looks good so far. What is your expression for x and why do you think the answer you got is wrong? What answer did you get by the way?

Last edited:
ramses07 said:
1.6kg * 9.8 m/s^2(x+.61cm)=910n/m *x^2

but it gives me an awkward quadratic equation, where the number under the square root would be negative.

Why would it give you a negative number? Did you put the equation to the form of ax^2+bx+c=0 before you start? -4ac is a positive number because a is negative and c is positive.

Related to A block dropped on a spring, distance compressed unknown.

1. What is the relationship between the distance compressed and the weight of the block?

The distance compressed is directly proportional to the weight of the block. This means that as the weight of the block increases, the distance compressed will also increase.

2. How does the spring constant affect the distance compressed?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness of the spring, has an inverse relationship with the distance compressed. This means that as the spring constant increases, the distance compressed will decrease.

3. Will the distance compressed be the same every time the block is dropped on the spring?

No, the distance compressed may vary each time the block is dropped on the spring due to factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the spring.

4. How does the height from which the block is dropped affect the distance compressed?

The height from which the block is dropped will affect the distance compressed due to the potential energy the block has at different heights. The higher the drop height, the more potential energy the block has, resulting in a larger distance compressed.

5. Can the distance compressed be calculated based on the weight and spring constant?

Yes, the distance compressed can be calculated using the formula d = (mg) / k, where d is the distance compressed, m is the weight of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and k is the spring constant.