A boulder roll down the hill

• MHB
  • Thread starter cbarker1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill Roll
In summary, the angular momentum of the spherical boulder about its center when it is halfway down the hill is $\sqrt{\dfrac{2mg(h_0-h_f)}{mr^2 + I}}$ kg · m2/s, and when it is at the bottom it is also $\sqrt{\dfrac{2mg(h_0-h_f)}{mr^2 + I}}$ kg · m2/s.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Every one,
Here is the question. How to get started with this question?
A spherical boulder of mass 90.2
kg and radius 20 cm rolls without slipping down a hill 16 m high from rest.

(a)
What is its angular momentum about its center when it is half way down the hill? (Enter the magnitude in kg [FONT=&quot]·
m2/s.)
kg [FONT=&quot]·[/FONT] m2/s

[/FONT]

(b)
What is its angular momentum about its center when it is at the bottom? (Enter the magnitude in kg [FONT=&quot]·
m2/s.)
kg [FONT=&quot]·[/FONT] m2/s

[/FONT]

Thanks,
Cbarker1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Cbarker1 said:

A spherical boulder of mass 90.2
kg and radius 20 cm rolls without slipping down a hill 16 m high from rest.

(a)
What is its angular momentum about its center when it is half way down the hill? (Enter the magnitude in kg · m2/s.)
kg · m2/s

(b)
What is its angular momentum about its center when it is at the bottom? (Enter the magnitude in kg · m2/s.)
kg · m2/s

conservation of energy (assuming the boulder starts from rest) ...

initial gravitational potential energy = final gravitational potential energy + translational kinetic energy + rotational kinetic energy

$mgh_0 = mgh_f + \dfrac{1}{2}mv^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}I \omega^2$

note $v = r\omega$ ...

$mgh_0 = mgh_f + \dfrac{1}{2}m(r\omega)^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}I \omega^2$

$2mg(h_0-h_f) = m(r\omega)^2 + I \omega^2$

$2mg(h_0-h_f) = \omega^2(mr^2 + I)$

$\omega = \sqrt{\dfrac{2mg(h_0-h_f)}{mr^2 + I}}$

finally, note $L = I\omega$

1. What caused the boulder to roll down the hill?

The boulder most likely rolled down the hill due to the force of gravity. As the boulder was sitting on an elevated position, gravity pulled it down the slope, causing it to roll.

2. How fast was the boulder rolling down the hill?

The speed of the boulder rolling down the hill depends on various factors such as the slope of the hill, the weight of the boulder, and the surface it is rolling on. Without any specific information, it is difficult to determine the exact speed of the boulder.

3. How far did the boulder roll down the hill?

The distance the boulder rolled down the hill also depends on the same factors as mentioned before. The steeper the slope and the smoother the surface, the farther the boulder will roll. It is also important to consider any obstacles or uneven terrain that may have affected the distance.

4. Can a boulder roll uphill?

It is highly unlikely for a boulder to roll uphill as it goes against the force of gravity. However, if there is a strong external force pushing the boulder uphill, it is possible for it to roll in that direction.

5. Can a boulder rolling down a hill cause damage?

Yes, a boulder rolling down a hill can cause significant damage to anything in its path. The weight and speed of the boulder can crush objects, structures, and even cause injuries to living beings. It is important to be cautious of boulder movement in hilly areas to avoid any potential harm.