A polygon is rolling down a hill

No matter.In summary, the conversation discusses a regular polygon rolling down a ramp at an angle and defines variables for angular velocity and moment of inertia. A recurrence relation is presented and a question is posed about solving it. Suggestions are given, including using the half angle and converting to a linear recurrence relation. There is also mention of the possibility of the polygon losing contact with the ramp due to acceleration.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
A polygon is rolling down a hill, find the angular velocity after the ##N^{\text{th}}## impact with the hill (assume polygon has slight concavity)
Relevant Equations
N/A
An ##n##-sided regular polygon is rolling down a frictional ramp at angle ##\theta## to the horizontal. I define ##\beta := \frac{2\pi}{n}## as the angle at the top of each of the ##n## isosceles triangles that make up the polygon. Let ##\omega_{k, 1}## be the angular velocity just after the ##k^{\text{th}}## impact with the ramp, and ##\omega_{k, 2}## be the angular velocity just before the ##(k+1)^{\text{th}}## impact with the ramp. Finally, let the moment of inertia about the centre of the polygon be ##I_{cm} := pmr^2## and the moment of inertia about one of the vertices be ##I_{v} := qmr^2##, where ##r## is the distance from the centre to a vertex. The side length of the polygon is ##l = \sqrt{2r^2(1-\cos{\beta})}##.

At the ##(k+1)^\text{th}## impact, we conserve angular momentum about the point on the ground with which the next vertex is just about to come into contact,$$I_{cm} \omega_{k,2} + mr^2 \omega_{k,2} \cos{\beta} = I_v \omega_{k+1, 1}$$ $$(p+\cos{\beta})\omega_{k,2} = q\omega_{1, k+1}$$Between impacts, the polygon gains kinetic energy ##mgl\sin{\theta}## due to the decrease in height of its centre of mass, so we can also say that$$\frac{1}{2}I_v \omega_{k, 1}^2 + mgl\sin{\theta} = \frac{1}{2}I_v \omega_{k,2}^2$$ $$\omega_{k,2}^2 - \omega_{k, 1}^2 = \frac{2g\sin{\theta}}{qr}\sqrt{2(1-\cos{\beta})}$$I put this into the first equation to obtain$$\omega_{k+1,1} = \frac{p +\cos{\beta}}{q} \sqrt{\omega_{k,1}^2 + \frac{2g\sin{\theta}}{qr}\sqrt{2(1-\cos{\beta})}}$$I wondered if anyone can help me to solve this recurrence relation? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
obtain$$\omega_{k+1,1} = \frac{p +\cos{\beta}}{q} \sqrt{\omega_{k,1}^2 + \frac{2g\sin{\theta}}{qr}\sqrt{2(1-\cos{\beta})}}$$I wondered if anyone can help me to solve this recurrence relation? Thanks
It would have been easier algebra to have worked in terms of the half angle.
Isn't your last equation of the form ##x_{k+1}=Ax_k+B##?

Of course, if it is accelerating then at some point it will lose contact before the next impact.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:

Ah you're right, I could just let ##u_k := \omega_k^2## and then it is just a linear recurrence relation. Also a good idea about the half angle, I think the nested root would become ##2\sin{\frac{1}{2}\beta}##, for one thing.

haruspex said:
Of course, if it is accelerating then at some point it will lose contact before the next impact.

I hadn't thought of that! Loosely, I imagine should just be a case of writing the Newton II equation for circular motion of the centre of mass of the polygon about the point of contact (in terms of the normal force and the weight), and letting ##N## be zero to see when weight can no longer provide the necessary centripetal acceleration. Is that also what you had in mind?

I'll try to tie off these loose ends tomorrow, because it's getting a little late. Thanks for the help!

haruspex said:
Oh, right. Square both sides. Don't work with velocity. Work with energy.

Edit: I see that I am late to the party.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is a polygon?

A polygon is a two-dimensional shape that is made up of straight lines and has at least three sides and angles. Examples of polygons include triangles, squares, and pentagons.

2. How does a polygon roll down a hill?

A polygon can roll down a hill because of the force of gravity acting on it. As the polygon moves down the hill, it gains momentum and kinetic energy, causing it to continue rolling until it reaches the bottom.

3. What factors affect the speed of a rolling polygon?

The speed of a rolling polygon is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the polygon, the steepness of the hill, and the friction between the polygon and the surface it is rolling on.

4. Can a polygon roll uphill?

No, a polygon cannot roll uphill without an external force acting on it. This is because gravity pulls objects down, making it impossible for the polygon to roll uphill on its own.

5. What real-life applications can be modeled using a rolling polygon?

A rolling polygon can be used to model various real-life situations, such as the movement of a ball rolling down a hill, the rotation of a wheel, or the motion of a car driving on a curved road. It can also be used in engineering and physics to study the effects of gravity and friction on objects in motion.