A bullet hits a rod attached to a pivot at one of its ends....

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum to solve a problem involving a collision between a bullet and a stationary rod attached to a pivot. The first equation, using conservation of energy, is found to be incorrect due to not accounting for thermal energy emitted during the collision. The second equation, using conservation of angular momentum, is found to be correct. The conversation also mentions that kinetic energy is not always conserved in collisions and that mechanical energy can be converted to heat. There is also a brief mention of calculating the energy loss in the collision.
isabelle3
Homework Statement
A bullet having mass $m$ and initial velocity $v$ hits and stick in a resting rod attached to the pivot. Find the angular velocity of the rod, if it is known, that the length of the rod is $L$, its mass is $M$, and the bullet hole is at a distance $l$ from the pivot.
Relevant Equations
L = cross(r, p) = Iw
E = const
I_rod = 1/3 M L^2
I_bullet = m l^2
My initial thought was to use the conservation of energy law since there're no external forces acting on the system bullet + rod. The rod is in rest, the bullet is moving. Then after the collision, the bullet and the rod are rotating around the pivot together, so the kinetic energy of the bullet transformed into the rotational kinetic energy of the system. So, I had this equation:
$$\frac12 mv^2 = \frac12 I_\text{system}w^2$$
$$mv^2 = (1/3 ML^2 + ml^2)w^2$$
$$ w = \sqrt{\frac{3m}{ML^2 + 3ml^2}} v$$

But if I use the law of conservation of angular momentum, the result is different.
$$L^\text{in} = r \times p = m||r|| ||v|| \sin \frac\pi 2= mlv$$
$$L^\text{fin} = Iw = (\frac13ML^2 + ml^2) w$$

Hence,
$$L^\text{in} = L^\text{fin}$$
$$mlv = (\frac13ML^2 + ml^2) w$$
$$w = \frac {3ml}{ML^2+3ml^2}v$$

As far as I understand, the second answer is correct (I've found a book that had a similar problem solved the second way). But that makes me wonder why the conservation of energy didn't work. Maybe I missed an additional term somewhere? Or maybe I can't just equate kinetic linear and angular energies like that? If that's the case, could you please provide some guidelines for when I can apply such a way of solving a task.

Physics news on Phys.org
isabelle3 said:
My initial thought was to use the conservation of energy law since there're no external forces acting on the system bullet + rod.
Careful! When objects collide, kinetic energy is not necessarily conserved. Especially if they stick together. (A totally inelastic collision.)

Likes isabelle3 and FactChecker
isabelle3 said:
since there're no external forces acting on the system
That's the condition for conservation of linear momentum, not energy.

Ahh! Understand.

My confusion was that I thought that in a perfectly inelastic collision the only scalar quantity that changes is the total linear kinetic energy. After additionally consulting wikipedia, here's my mistake that I made: in the conservation of energy law it should be
$$\frac12 mv^2 = \frac12 Iw^2 + \Delta E_\text{th}\\
\text{where } \Delta E_\text{th} \text{ is the thermal energy emitted after the collision.}$$

I don't think that I can calculate it with the given amount of information in the task.

Thank you very much.

Likes Doc Al
Doc Al said:
kinetic energy is not necessarily conserved

I think I quoted it, but I didn't...

haruspex said:
That's the condition for conservation of linear momentum, not energy.

Yes, you're right, that's another thing that I mixed up. The conservation of energy always holds for closed systems.

isabelle3 said:
Yes, you're right, that's another thing that I mixed up. The conservation of energy always holds for closed systems.
Energy is conserved in closed systems. But mechanical energy (e.g. kinetic and potential energy) is not. It can be converted to heat without leaving the system.

isabelle3 said:
Ahh! Understand.

My confusion was that I thought that in a perfectly inelastic collision the only scalar quantity that changes is the total linear kinetic energy. After additionally consulting wikipedia, here's my mistake that I made: in the conservation of energy law it should be
$$\frac12 mv^2 = \frac12 Iw^2 + \Delta E_\text{th}\\
\text{where } \Delta E_\text{th} \text{ is the thermal energy emitted after the collision.}$$

I don't think that I can calculate it with the given amount of information in the task.

Thank you very much.

From conservation of momentum you can generally calculate how much mechanical energy has been lost. In this case you could if you wanted to.

PeroK said:
From conservation of momentum you can generally calculate how much mechanical energy has been lost. In this case you could if you wanted to.

I could? Do I need to know ##w## to do this? Because I tried to use them, but ended up replacing ##Iw## by ##I\frac{v}{CM}##, where ##CM## is the distance from the pivot to the center of the mass of the bullet + rod. I got scary and, I think, incorrect value
$$ \Delta E_\text{th} = \frac{1}{2} v^2 \left( m - \frac{\frac23M^2L^2+2Mml^2 + \frac23 MmL^2+2m^2l^2}{ML+2ml}\right)$$

I think you meant a different way...

isabelle3 said:
I could? Do I need to know ##w## to do this? Because I tried to use them, but ended up replacing ##Iw## by ##I\frac{v}{CM}##, where ##CM## is the distance from the pivot to the center of the mass of the bullet + rod. I got scary and, I think, incorrect value
$$ \Delta E_\text{th} = \frac{1}{2} v^2 \left( m - \frac{\frac23M^2L^2+2Mml^2 + \frac23 MmL^2+2m^2l^2}{ML+2ml}\right)$$

In general the KE (of a particle or rotating object) is determined by its momentum. Assuming you know the mass or moment of inertia.

I haven't looked at the details of this problem. Unless you are asked to calculate the energy loss, its not worth it.

isabelle3 said:
since there're no external forces acting on the system bullet + rod

There is an external force: "rod attached to the pivot", so what conservation law can you use?

Please show your working for how you got the angular velocity of the rod.

1. What happens when a bullet hits a rod attached to a pivot at one of its ends?

When a bullet hits a rod attached to a pivot at one of its ends, the rod will rotate about the pivot point and the bullet's momentum will be transferred to the rod.

2. How does the angle of the rod affect the rotation when a bullet hits it?

The angle of the rod will affect the rotation because it determines the distance between the point of impact and the pivot point, which will determine the torque (rotational force) applied to the rod.

3. What factors can affect the amount of rotation caused by a bullet hitting a rod attached to a pivot?

The amount of rotation caused by a bullet hitting a rod attached to a pivot can be affected by the mass and velocity of the bullet, the length and angle of the rod, and the distance between the point of impact and the pivot point.

4. Is there a limit to how much rotation can be caused by a bullet hitting a rod attached to a pivot?

Yes, there is a limit to how much rotation can be caused by a bullet hitting a rod attached to a pivot. This limit is determined by the mass and velocity of the bullet, as well as the strength and stability of the rod and pivot.

5. How can the principles of physics be applied to understand the impact of a bullet on a rod attached to a pivot?

The principles of physics, specifically those related to momentum, torque, and rotational motion, can be applied to analyze and understand the impact of a bullet on a rod attached to a pivot. By using equations and concepts such as conservation of momentum and moment of inertia, the behavior of the system can be predicted and explained.