A claim in measure theory which seems flawed to me

In summary, the conversation discusses a claim that states if a function is measurable, bounded, and has a bounded support in a measurable subset of a measurable space, and is greater than or equal to 0 almost everywhere in that subset, then the integral of the function over any measurable subset within that subset is greater than or equal to 0 and less than or equal to the integral over the entire subset. The conversation also raises a concern about the use of the assumption that the function is greater than or equal to 0 everywhere, rather than just almost everywhere. The expert suggests two ways to address this concern and concludes by discussing the complexity of mathematics and the triviality of each step in a proof if it is correct.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
The claim states the following:
Let ##(X,\mathcal{A},\mu)## be a measurable space, ##E## is a measurable subset of ##X## and ##f## is a measurable bounded function which has a bounded support in ##E##.
Prove that: if ##f\ge 0## almost everywhere in ##E##, then for each measurable subset ##F\subset E##, we have:
$$0\le \int_F fd\mu \le \int_E fd\mu$$

Now, for the proof of the claim: they write in the book that ##f\ge 0## in ##E##, thus by the additive and non-negativity properties of the integral we get: $$\int_E f d\mu =\int_F fd\mu + \int_{E-F} f d\mu \ge \int_F f d\mu + 0 =\int_F fd\mu \ge 0$$

Now I believe in the rhs they used the "fact" that ##f\ge 0## also in ##F##, but the assumption in the claim is that ##f\ge 0## a.e in E, i.e for ##\exists F': F'\subset E## which has zero measure thus ##\int_F' f d\mu = 0##.

I believe this last statement is missing in the proof, i.e that also for zero measured subset of ##E## where ##f<0## the integral is zero.
Other than this little qualm everything seems right.

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are technically correct. It is ok to skip some steps in a proof if the steps would be correct and not too hard to fill in. Whether a person is allowed to skip steps depends on how well he is trusted to thoroughly understand what is being left out. So a student should skip very few steps, but a professionally published math article might skip a lot. After a while, professional mathematicians do not want to see every simple detail of a proof.

Likes member 587159
You are right. Another way to circumvent the problem is to replace ##f## by ##g:=f\chi_{E\cap \{f \geq 0\}}##. Since ##f## and ##g## agree almost surely on ##E##, their integrals coincide on all relevant subsets and thus you see that no generally is lost by assuming ##f\geq 0## everywhere, because this is true for ##g##.

Likes FactChecker
Math_QED said:
You are right. Another way to circumvent the problem is to replace ##f## by ##g:=f\chi_{E\cap \{f \geq 0\}}##. Since ##f## and ##g## agree almost surely on ##E##, their integrals coincide on all relevant subsets and thus you see that no generally is lost by assuming ##f\geq 0## everywhere, because this is true for ##g##.
The issue that you are pointing out is, IMO, more serious than just skipping steps. If they make a change from "##f \ge 0## a.e." to "##f \ge 0##" everywhere without mentioning it, that is careless and a bad habit.

Likes member 587159
FactChecker said:
The issue that you are pointing out is, IMO, more serious than just skipping steps. If they make a change from "##f \ge 0## a.e." to "##f \ge 0##" everywhere without mentioning it, that is careless and a bad habit.

I agree. The proof should at least say: "WLOG, we may assume ##f\geq 0## everywhere on ##E##". Understanding why this can be done is then a good exercise for the reader.

Likes FactChecker
FactChecker said:
You are technically correct. It is ok to skip some steps in a proof if the steps would be correct and not too hard to fill in. Whether a person is allowed to skip steps depends on how well he is trusted to thoroughly understand what is being left out. So a student should skip very few steps, but a professionally published math article might skip a lot. After a while, professional mathematicians do not want to see every simple detail of a proof.
The problem with skipping some details that some might not see them as trivial (well all of maths is trivial when done correctly). Take for example the "infamous" attempt of proving the abc conjecture in the last decade or so.
https://www.quantamagazine.org/tita...h-over-epic-proof-of-abc-conjecture-20180920/

Likes FactChecker
MathematicalPhysicist said:
The problem with skipping some details that some might not see them as trivial (well all of maths is trivial when done correctly). Take for example the "infamous" attempt of proving the abc conjecture in the last decade or so.
https://www.quantamagazine.org/tita...h-over-epic-proof-of-abc-conjecture-20180920/

If you say that all math is trivial when done correctly, you have not done enough math.

• Love
Likes Klystron, etotheipi, FactChecker and 1 other person
Math_QED said:
If you say that all math is trivial when done correctly, you have not done enough math.
I've done enough to hold this view.
I don't say that it cannot take a lot of steps to prove something, but each step is trivial.
The complexity of maths is in the length of the arguments and the ideas on which step to use.

Which book is this?

martinbn said:
Which book is this?
It's a book in Hebrew of the Open University in Israel.
It was adapted from notes of Amnon Jakimovski.

I don't say that it cannot take a lot of steps to prove something, but each step is trivial.
The complexity of maths is in the length of the arguments and the ideas on which step to use.

Care to tell what math level you are at?

Math_QED said:
Care to tell what math level you are at?
I've taken quite a lot of graduate courses while attending for MSc studies in both pure and applied maths.
Never finished my thesis, found it hard to understand my adviser, thought of changing my adviser and to change my thesis topic but the school didn't approve.

Anyhow, I obviously have a Bsc in maths and physics.
Obviously mathematics is difficult since there are quite a lot of steps in the difficult proofs, I don't argue otherwise. But each step in the proof if it's correct eventually is indeed trivial if you have the adequate piece of knowledge to understand it.

I could argue that if a claim follows from the definitions and axioms then it does so trivially, if the proof of the claim is false then the error is either trivially spotted or difficult to spot it since there are so many steps in the proof.

Published math articles will skip long derivations if the details are routine and not of research interest. The page length is very important to keep down and the skipped details can be very long and tedious.

Likes member 587159
FactChecker said:
Published math articles will skip long derivations if the details are routine and not of research interest. The page length is very important to keep down and the skipped details can be very long and tedious.
So perhaps Scholze and Styx just didn't understand the proof of Mochizuki even after he explained them their misunderstanding.
It's a possibility... :oldbiggrin:

Edit:
And Mochizuki could argue that to write all the details is tedious and it's not done in math research.
And his papers are already quite long.

Woa this thread certainly gives me a fresh chill, visiting PF after so many years. Arguing that a mathematician is wrong (about life) could be pointless, unless it's about a step in their proof.

What about those other than mathematicians? Who knows :rolleyes:

But I tend to agree that the book should have been a bit more careful, since it looks like a first-course textbook to me.

If "the ideas on which step to use" at some step are not trivial, then that step should not be called trivial, lest we lose the utility of the term.

All true propositions that are purely mathematical are, if provable and proven, thereby demonstrated to have been tautologies; however, that doesn't mean that they are thereby all 'trivial' ##-## that term is a 'term of art', that in each field of human endeavor in which it is applied means, roughly, readily understood from the outset by a person competent in that field.

Isn't the non-triviality also in the conjectures? Can anyone seriously proclaim that ##e^{i\pi}+1=0## is trivial? Or even that proving that is trivial?

Likes member 587159

1. What is measure theory?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concepts of size, area, and volume. It provides a formal framework for measuring sets and their properties, and is widely used in fields such as probability, analysis, and geometry.

2. What is a claim in measure theory?

A claim in measure theory is a statement or proposition that is made about a specific set or property in the context of measure theory. These claims are typically backed up by mathematical proofs and are used to explain and understand various concepts in the field.

3. Why might a claim in measure theory seem flawed?

A claim in measure theory may seem flawed if it contradicts established principles or if it is not supported by sound mathematical reasoning. It is important to carefully examine and evaluate any claim before accepting it as true.

4. How can one determine if a claim in measure theory is flawed?

To determine if a claim in measure theory is flawed, one can carefully review the mathematical proof and check for any errors or inconsistencies. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field for their insights and opinions.

5. What should be done if a claim in measure theory is found to be flawed?

If a claim in measure theory is found to be flawed, it is important to bring it to the attention of the community and engage in discussions and debates to further examine and understand the issue. This can help improve the understanding and development of measure theory as a whole.