A confusion about conductance of weak electrolytes

nafisanazlee
Homework Statement
The equivalent conductance of weak monobasic acid at infinite dilution is 388.5 ohm^-¹ cm² equiv-¹ at 25 %C. Find the specific conductance of 0.1 molar solutions. the degree of dissociation of which is 6%.
Relevant Equations
Λe/Λe∞ = α
My attempt is the handwritten one. But my reference book solved it in a different way, they left a note saying at infinite dilution α = 1(100%). (the attached picture) Which one is the correct approach?

Attachments

• IMG_20231129_035339.jpg
    IMG_20231129_035339.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't see a handwritten attempt, or a note to that effect in the attached picture. Please clarify the two approaches.

Book doesn't use information about 6%, which makes me doubt the solution, even without checking details.

Likes nafisanazlee
mjc123 said:
Can't see a handwritten attempt, or a note to that effect in the attached picture. Please clarify the two approaches.
I am sorry, didn't notice that it didn't got uploaded. Here it is.

Attachments

• CamScanner 11-29-2023 03.49.jpg
    CamScanner 11-29-2023 03.49.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 33
Borek said:
Book doesn't use information about 6%, which makes me doubt the solution, even without checking details.
Borek said:
This is my solution, I'm sorry that it didn't got posted earlier.

Attachments

• CamScanner 11-29-2023 03.49.jpg
    CamScanner 11-29-2023 03.49.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 27
I think your result is correct.

et_al said:
I think your result is correct.
Thanks so much.

1. What is conductance?

Conductance is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electric current. It is the inverse of resistance and is measured in units of siemens (S).

2. What are weak electrolytes?

Weak electrolytes are substances that only partially dissociate into ions when dissolved in water. This means they have a low conductance compared to strong electrolytes, which fully dissociate into ions.

3. Why is there confusion about conductance of weak electrolytes?

The confusion arises because weak electrolytes have a lower conductance than strong electrolytes, but they still conduct electricity to some extent. This can be misleading and cause confusion about their conductance properties.

4. How is the conductance of weak electrolytes measured?

The conductance of weak electrolytes can be measured using a conductance meter, which passes an electric current through the solution and measures the resulting conductance. The conductance can then be used to calculate the electrolyte's dissociation constant.

5. What are some examples of weak electrolytes?

Some examples of weak electrolytes include weak acids (such as acetic acid), weak bases (such as ammonia), and salts of weak acids or bases (such as ammonium chloride). These substances only partially dissociate into ions when dissolved in water.