A contrete block released from the rest

• Thread starter TheDudeTR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Rest
In summary, the book solution for the falling block problem is incorrect because the potential energy is not equal to the kinetic energy.
TheDudeTR
Homework Statement
a concrete block released from rest
Relevant Equations
F=ma
this is the question and solution given in the book

solution i made below. only difference is i took x as opposite side that given in the book and wrote F=ma equation that way. as a result the left side of equation (3) directly turned negative. that caused difference in result but why? i mean instinctly in these kind of questions i am tend to put positive axis towards sense of movement. can you please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to show us what you did for us to see where you are going wrong.

I thought it was much easier to solve using energy and got the book answer.

PeroK said:
You will need to show us what you did for us to see where you are going wrong.

I thought it was much easier to solve using energy and got the book answer.

i also post what have i done at the end of my post. i did not understand what else do you need? i know solution is much easier with the energy but i am trying to get concept.

First, I can't read what you've written. Second, you say "when I solve these three equations I get a totally different answer". That could be for anyone of a hundred reasons.

PeroK said:
First, I can't read what you've written. Second, you say "when I solve these three equations I get a totally different answer". That could be for anyone of a hundred reasons.
here is clear version i have equation (1) (3) and (4) just as in the book.

You need to change equation (1) if you have the accelerations both positive. The others look okay, although I'm not used to pounds and feet. Maybe equation (1) is your problem.

Just one observation. The book solution, I think, is not very good. It's very easy to mistype things when it's just a lot of numbers. But, if that's the way the book does things, who am I to argue?

Likes TheDudeTR
PeroK said:
You need to change equation (1) if you have the accelerations both positive. The others look okay, although I'm not used to pounds and feet. Maybe equation (1) is your problem.

Just one observation. The book solution, I think, is not very good. It's very easy to mistype things when it's just a lot of numbers. But, if that's the way the book does things, who am I to argue?
yeah meriam dynamics is kinda hard to get actually. i didn't like it but at the beginning of semester prof advised this book so i bought it. personally i prefer beer for dynamics. thanks for the answer by the way.

Here's my energy solution, if you are interested:

Potential energy lost by falling block:

##PE_1 = mgh##

Potential energy gained by log:

##PE_2 = Mg(\frac{h}{2})\sin(30) = \frac{Mgh}{4}##

Friction force on log: ##F_F = \mu_k Mg \cos(30) = \frac{Mg\sqrt{3}}{4}##

Energy lost to friction:

##E_3 = F_F \frac{h}{2} = \frac{Mgh\sqrt{3}}{8}##

Total energy (kinetic) when block hits the ground is:

##KE = PE1 - PE_2 - E_3 = gh(m - M(\frac14 + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{8})) = \frac{gh}{8}(8m - M(2 + \sqrt{3}))##

Also,

##KE = \frac12 mv^2 + \frac12 M (\frac{v}{2})^2 = \frac18(4m + M)v^2##

Therefore:

##v^2 = gh(\frac{8m - M(2 + \sqrt{3})}{4m + M})##

1. What is a concrete block?

A concrete block is a building material made from a mixture of cement, water, and aggregates such as sand or gravel. It is commonly used in construction for building walls, foundations, and other structures.

2. What does it mean for a concrete block to be released from the rest?

When a concrete block is released from the rest, it means that it is no longer attached or supported by any other structure or surface. This can happen during construction when the block is being moved or placed, or in the case of a collapse or failure of the supporting structure.

3. What happens when a concrete block is released from the rest?

When a concrete block is released from the rest, it will fall due to gravity and may break or shatter upon impact with the ground or other surfaces. The exact outcome will depend on the size and weight of the block, as well as the height from which it was released.

4. Is it dangerous to have a concrete block released from the rest?

Yes, it can be dangerous to have a concrete block released from the rest. Depending on its size and weight, it can cause damage to property or injure people in its path. It is important to handle and secure concrete blocks properly to prevent accidents and injuries.

5. How can I prevent a concrete block from being released from the rest?

To prevent a concrete block from being released from the rest, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and handling procedures when working with these materials. This includes using appropriate equipment and techniques to lift and move blocks, as well as ensuring that they are properly secured in place once they are in position.