A copper wire contains 3.0 *10 ^ 22 number of charges on 1 meter wire

In summary, a copper wire with 3.0 * 10^22 charges on 1 meter contains a charge of 4.8 Coulombs and has a speed of 6.6 * 10^-4 m/s when there is a current of 2 A.
amizy9990
Homework Statement
A copper wire contains 3.0 *10 ^ 22 number of charges on 1 meter wire. What speed do the electrons move
Relevant Equations
t=Q/I
A copper wire contains 3.0 *10 ^ 22 number of charges on 1 meter wire. What speed do the electrons move when there is 2 A current in the wire.

t=q/t=3,20*10^3 C/ 2.0 A = 1,5*10^22 s

v= 1m/1,5*10^3s= 6,6*10^-4 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @amizy9990 ,
:welcome: !​

What is your question ?

Likes amizy9990
this is the question: A copper wire contains 3.0 *10 ^ 22 number of charges on 1 meter wire. What speed do the electrons move when there is 2 A current in the wire.

No, that is the question the exercise asks of you.
What is your question to PF ?

Let me help you to get going: (*)
Suppose the electrons have a speed of v m/s.
In that case, what would be the charge that leaves the wire every second ?

##\ ##

(*) the idea is that PF helps you to complete the exercise, not that PF does the exercise for you -- that would not help you at all.

##\ ##

the charge is I=2,0A

No. 2A is not a charge.
I asked: how much charge leaves (goes through) the wire every second IF the speed is 1 m/s ?

That would be a charge of 3 10^22 electrons. How many Coulombs is that?

##\ ##

amizy9990 said:
t=q/t=3,20*10^3 C/ 2.0 A = 1,5*10^22 s

v= 1m/1,5*10^3s= 6,6*10^-4 m/s
Basically right, but some confusing typos and numerical errors.
q/t should be q/I
3,2 should be 4,8
If it were 3,2, 1,5 should be 1,6.
10^22 should be 10^3.

Likes amizy9990
thanks

Likes berkeman

What does it mean when a copper wire contains 3.0 *10 ^ 22 number of charges on 1 meter wire?

This means that for every 1 meter of copper wire, there are approximately 3.0 * 10^22 individual charges present. These charges are typically electrons, which are the fundamental particles responsible for electricity.

How is the number of charges on a copper wire measured?

The number of charges on a copper wire is typically measured using a device called an electrometer. This device can detect and measure the flow of electric charge through a wire.

Why is the number of charges on a copper wire important?

The number of charges on a copper wire is important because it determines the amount of electric current that can flow through the wire. A higher number of charges means a higher current, while a lower number of charges means a lower current.

Can the number of charges on a copper wire change?

Yes, the number of charges on a copper wire can change. This can happen through various processes such as charging the wire with an external source of electricity or by adding or removing electrons through chemical reactions.

Is the number of charges on a copper wire the same as its length?

No, the number of charges on a copper wire is not the same as its length. The number of charges is determined by the material and properties of the wire, while the length of the wire simply refers to its physical size.