A couple of problems for you, help please (About mechanical energy)

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's difficulties with physics and a problem involving a cube sliding on a table with various forces acting on it. The student is seeking help with finding the friction coefficient and determining the change in kinetic energy when only one force is acting. The suggestion is to use the work-energy theorem to solve the problem.
satycorn
Hey guys, I have a test tomorrow in physics and although I'm a good student, physics is getting tougher this year (high school 1st year for me) and our teacher is really bad, her teaching skills are very poor. Plus, I've been absent for a couple of days when we had physics and I can't solve the "hard" problems. The lesions these problems are related to are Power, Work and Kinetic Energy.
1) A cube is sliding on the floor for 4 meters, it changes it's speed from 1meters/second to 0,2 meters/s. Find the friction coefficient (no weight of cube given ?)
2) A cube is horizontally moving on a table, there are 4 forces on it, G, N and F1 and F2, F1 is on the right of the cube pulling it, F2 is pulling it from the left. F1=3F2. If during Δt, ΔEK of ONLY F1 is 3Ek, then ΔEk during this time of all of the forces is?
a) 2Ek; b)Ek; c)0,75Ek; d) 0,25Ek
Thanks a lot guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hey satycorn! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

(in 1, call the mass "m", it'll cancel)

Ive really tried but I'm clueless with both I am sorry :(.
At the second one I did the Work=Delta(Kinetic Energy) theorem, but I think I'm wrong. Wht formula do i have to use?

For part 2, using the work energy theorem, as you have stated, is a good way to start. When only F1 is acting you can find the work done by F1 , since delta KE is given. Also, it is given that F2 is 1/3 F1, so you van find the work done by F2, which will be a negative value. The algebraic sum total of the work done by both forces is the change in KE of the block.

Hi there,

First of all, don't worry too much about your teacher's teaching skills or your absence. Physics can be a challenging subject, but with some practice and understanding, you can definitely improve.

For the first problem, you can use the equation for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2mv^2) to solve for the friction coefficient. Since the mass and weight of the cube are not given, you can assume that they cancel out in the equation. So, you are left with the equation KE = (1/2)(v^2). Plug in the given values (KE = 1/2(0.2^2)) and solve for the friction coefficient.

For the second problem, you can use the equation for work (W = Fd) to solve for the change in kinetic energy (ΔEK) for each force. Since F1 is pulling the cube from the right and F2 is pulling it from the left, their work will be in opposite directions and will cancel out. So, the total work done by the two forces will be zero. This means that the ΔEK for all forces will be equal to the ΔEK for F1, which is given as 3Ek. Therefore, the correct answer is a) 2Ek.

I hope this helps and good luck on your test! Remember to practice and understand the concepts, rather than just memorizing formulas. That will make solving problems much easier.

Related to A couple of problems for you, help please (About mechanical energy)

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It is a combination of kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy of position).

2. How is mechanical energy calculated?

Mechanical energy is calculated by adding the kinetic energy and potential energy of an object. Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity. Potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = m * g * h, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. Can mechanical energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, mechanical energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when a ball is thrown in the air, its mechanical energy is converted into gravitational potential energy as it rises and then into kinetic energy as it falls back to the ground.

4. What are some examples of mechanical energy?

Some examples of mechanical energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a rolling ball, a spinning top, and a stretched rubber band.

5. How is mechanical energy used in everyday life?

Mechanical energy is used in many ways in everyday life. It is used to power machines such as cars, trains, and planes. It is also used in household appliances like blenders, washing machines, and elevators. Additionally, mechanical energy is used in sports, such as when a baseball is hit with a bat or a soccer ball is kicked into the goal.