A Different Way to Achieve Electron Velocity Modulation in a Klystron

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement and influence of a toroid coil on electrons moving inside a discharge tube. There is agreement that the field distribution of a toroid is similar to that of a cavity resonator, and the experiment can proceed. However, there is a concern about the low impedance of the toroidal core and its potential impact on the E field.
Narayanan KR
TL;DR Summary
Both Reflex Klystrons and Two cavity Klystrons use electric field between parallel plates to accelerate or decelerate (i.e. velocity modulate) the electrons emitted from Cathode. Question is, will there be a same effect of velocity modulation, if I place a toroidal core (ferrite or air core) with coil wound around it and feed by a RF source ? because the time varying magnetic fields in the toroidal coil produces time varying Electric Fields parallel to the electron motion inside the Tube.
klystron1.jpg

Please Notice That the Toroid Coil is Outside the Discharge Tube and yet able to influence electrons moving inside the Tube.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it is OK. I think the field distribution of a toroid is the same as the cavity resonator you show (rhumbatron as it was called).

Likes Narayanan KR
tech99 said:
I think it is OK. I think the field distribution of a toroid is the same as the cavity resonator you show (rhumbatron as it was called).
Thank You, now I shall Proceed with my Experiment.

tech99 said:
I think the field distribution of a toroid is the same as the cavity resonator you show (rhumbatron as it was called).
I have a feeling that the E field in the proposed system would be a lot lower than across the gap in a normal toroidal cavity. The Impedance of the toroidal core where the electrons pass through would be low because there are wires (the turns of the coil) parallel to the direction of the electron beam. E field along the surface of a wire is about zero.

1. What is electron velocity modulation in a klystron?

Electron velocity modulation in a klystron is a technique used to control the velocity of electrons in a vacuum tube, known as a klystron, by applying a varying electric field. This modulation allows for the amplification of microwave signals.

2. How does a klystron achieve electron velocity modulation?

A klystron achieves electron velocity modulation by using a series of cavities and electron beams. The electron beams are accelerated through the cavities, causing them to gain energy and velocity. As the electric field in the cavities varies, it modulates the velocity of the electrons, resulting in the amplification of the microwave signal.

3. What is the traditional method of achieving electron velocity modulation in a klystron?

The traditional method of achieving electron velocity modulation in a klystron is by using a bunching cavity, which is a cavity that applies a high-frequency alternating electric field to the electron beam. This causes the electrons to bunch together, resulting in velocity modulation.

4. What is the different way to achieve electron velocity modulation in a klystron?

The different way to achieve electron velocity modulation in a klystron is by using a traveling wave tube (TWT). In a TWT, the electron beam travels through a helical coil, which applies a varying magnetic field to the beam. This causes the electrons to spiral, resulting in velocity modulation.

5. What are the advantages of using a TWT for electron velocity modulation in a klystron?

Using a TWT for electron velocity modulation in a klystron has several advantages. It allows for a wider range of frequency modulation, higher efficiency, and better stability compared to the traditional method. Additionally, TWTs are more compact and cost-effective, making them a preferred choice for many applications.