A few basic questions about the absorption/emission of photons

• B
  • Thread starter Hiero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, Photons have momentum and when an atom emits a photon, it recoils to conserve momentum and this changes the kinetic energy of the atom. The energy of the emitted photon is the difference in energy levels of the excited electron minus the change in kinetic energy. This can give the spectral lines of a gas a bit of width, which depends on the velocity distribution and temperature. Absorbing a photon does not have to be precisely at the right frequency and it does not simultaneously absorb and emit a photon with the energy difference. The width of spectral lines is due to the Doppler effect and the lifetime of the excited state. An atom can absorb a photon that doesn't have enough energy if it is moving towards it, as the excess energy
Hiero
1) Photons have momentum. So if an atom emits a photon it ought to recoil to conserve momentum. This recoil will change the kinetic energy of the atom (by an amount dependent on the initial momentum). Does this mean the energy of the emitted photon is the difference in energy levels (of the excited electron) minus the change in kinetic energy? Does this give the spectral lines of a gas a bit of width (which would depend on the velocity distribution and hence temperature)?

2) In order to absorb a photon, does it have to be “precisely” the right frequency? And if it can be any larger frequency, does it then simultaneously absorb it while emitting a photon with the energy difference? (I know in the photoelectric effect higher frequencies just give the ejected electron excess kinetic energy, but when considering a single atom we have to conserve momentum, so that isn’t an option.)

3) Consider an atom at rest which absorbs a photon. We could view this from a different frame of reference where the photon is red shifted below the energy difference of the electron states. So then an atom can absorb a photon which doesn’t have enough energy as long as it’s moving towards it? This makes sense in connection with my first question; the excess energy would come from reduced kinetic energy. (In fact I could check that it makes sense quantitatively but I’d have to first derive the Doppler shift formula; I’ll try it in the morning.)I should probably just read a few QM books, but they make me sleepy with all the talk of Hilbert spaces and hermitian opera... 🥱😴 💤

Thanks and good night.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hiero said:
1) Photons have momentum. So if an atom emits a photon it ought to recoil to conserve momentum. This recoil will change the kinetic energy of the atom (by an amount dependent on the initial momentum). Does this mean the energy of the emitted photon is the difference in energy levels (of the excited electron) minus the change in kinetic energy? Does this give the spectral lines of a gas a bit of width (which would depend on the velocity distribution and hence temperature)?
Yes. Some of the width of spectral lines is due to the Doppler effect.

Hiero said:
2) In order to absorb a photon, does it have to be “precisely” the right frequency? And if it can be any larger frequency, does it then simultaneously absorb it while emitting a photon with the energy difference? (I know in the photoelectric effect higher frequencies just give the ejected electron excess kinetic energy, but when considering a single atom we have to conserve momentum, so that isn’t an option.)
No to both questions. An atom having discrete levels with a well-defined energy is an approximation. In reality, coupling to the electromagnetic field broadens the levels: there is an uncertainty on the exact energy, if you will. The width is related to the lifetime of excited state (which decays by spontaneous emission).

Hiero said:
3) Consider an atom at rest which absorbs a photon. We could view this from a different frame of reference where the photon is red shifted below the energy difference of the electron states. So then an atom can absorb a photon which doesn’t have enough energy as long as it’s moving towards it? This makes sense in connection with my first question; the excess energy would come from reduced kinetic energy. (In fact I could check that it makes sense quantitatively but I’d have to first derive the Doppler shift formula; I’ll try it in the morning.)
Yes. This is the phenomenon at work in Doppler cooling.

Likes Hiero, Dale and hutchphd
Hiero said:
I should probably just read a few QM books, but they make me sleepy with all the talk of Hilbert spaces and hermitian opera... 🥱😴 💤
Hm, strange. I usually cannot sleep well when reading QM books. They are just too exciting. If it says "hermitian" instead of "self-adjoint", it makes me even angry in addition! :oldsurprised:

• Haha
Likes Dadface, weirdoguy, Nugatory and 1 other person
Hiero said:
hermitian opera...
You just conjured in my mind an image of someone singing an aria: "I am the very model of a modern quantum physicist..."

• Haha
Likes Nugatory, neilparker62, hmmm27 and 2 others
Thank you @DrClaude for your clear answers, and for that clever application of Doppler cooling!

Hiero said:
(In fact I could check that it makes sense quantitatively but I’d have to first derive the Doppler shift formula; I’ll try it in the morning.)
We could try to use the Doppler shift (and aberration if we boost at an angle) and the fact that the excited state has a higher mass to show that absorbed energy is frame invariant. However it dawned on me that this would be a waste of time. The Doppler shift (and aberration) are encoded in the Lorentz transform of a photon; the fact that we can express the absorbed energy in terms of invariants (system rest energy minus unexcited-atom rest energy) guarantees that it is also invariant.

jtbell said:
You just conjured in my mind an image of someone singing an aria: "I am the very model of a modern quantum physicist..."
I had to look up the reference but once I heard the math lyrics I bursted out laughing. Hilarious hahaha. The setup was accidental :DD Well played:DD:DD:DD

1. What is the difference between absorption and emission of photons?

The absorption of photons refers to the process in which a photon is absorbed by an atom or molecule, causing the electron to move to a higher energy level. On the other hand, emission of photons occurs when an electron in an excited state moves to a lower energy level and releases a photon in the process.

2. How does the absorption and emission of photons relate to the color of objects?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that are absorbed and reflected by the object. Objects that appear a certain color absorb all other colors of light except for the one that is reflected, which is what our eyes perceive as the color of the object. The absorption and emission of photons play a crucial role in this process.

3. Can the absorption and emission of photons be controlled?

Yes, the absorption and emission of photons can be controlled through various techniques such as using different materials or applying external energy sources. This is the basis of technologies such as lasers and LEDs that manipulate the absorption and emission of photons for specific purposes.

4. How does the absorption and emission of photons contribute to the greenhouse effect?

The absorption and emission of photons play a significant role in the greenhouse effect. Certain gases in the Earth's atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide and water vapor, are able to absorb and emit infrared radiation, trapping heat and causing the Earth's temperature to rise. This is known as the greenhouse effect.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the absorption and emission of photons?

Understanding the absorption and emission of photons has many practical applications in various fields such as telecommunications, solar energy, and medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies and materials, such as solar cells and LED lights.