A flex-fuel pump in every gas station

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Pump
In summary, Senator Biden suggested that every station should have a flex-fuel pump in order to convert the US to alternative fuels. He believes that now is the time to act, due to the high price of crude oil. He suggests that students and others take action by buying flex-fuel cars or converting to alternative fuels at the station.
Renewals are the wave of the future, and they always will be. Or at least your 6% figure has held steady for a decade or more. The mix shifts a little; hydroelectric is maybe down a bit while windmills are up, but the total stays right around 6%, and Worldwatch is not the most disinterested source to quote..

Physics news on Phys.org
selfAdjoint said:
Worldwatch is not the most disinterested source to quote..
Please explain.

selfAdjoint said:
From wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwatch_Institute

"...environmentally sustainable and socially just"?

It's an advocacy group.
Why else would they publish a report? :confused:
I don't see how having a motive implies what one says is untrue.

Yonoz said:
Why else would they publish a report? :confused:

For scientifuc or scholarly reasons? Do you imagine that no-one does anything unless they have a political agenda?

I don't see how having a motive implies what one says is untrue.

Karl Rove has a lovely load of BS to sell you. Or if not him maybe al Qaida? Since motive doesn't call information into question?

selfAdjoint said:
For scientifuc or scholarly reasons?
No, for discussion reasons. It presents a certain view point and its publisher is quite clear about its agenda. We can tackle the article's specifics if you like.
selfAdjoint said:
Do you imagine that no-one does anything unless they have a political agenda?
Some agenda, yes. However Worldwatch's agenda is out in the open, not quite political, and I find it hard to criticize: http://www.worldwatch.org/node/24"
The Worldwatch Institute is an independent research organization that works for an environmentally sustainable and socially just society, in which the needs of all people are met without threatening the health of the natural environment or the well-being of future generations.

By providing compelling, accessible, and fact-based analysis of critical global issues, Worldwatch informs people around the world about the complex interactions between people, nature, and economies. Worldwatch focuses on the underlying causes of and practical solutions to the world's problems, in order to inspire people to demand new policies, investment patterns and lifestyle choices.

selfAdjoint said:
Karl Rove has a lovely load of BS to sell you. Or if not him maybe al Qaida? Since motive doesn't call information into question?
Of course it does. But when someone expresses their motives as openly as they do their viewpoints, I see no need to discredit them, quite the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
The point, Yonoz, is that you find it hard to disagree with Worldwatch's stated agenda (expressed in very noble general terms to be sure), so you are insensitive to the fact that they may be slanting their interpretations toward what they hope to see. Farmers in Wisconsin devoutly believe that ethanol reduces dependence on foreign oil, though many critics believe it takes more oil to produce ethanol than you would burn if you used the oil to make gas for cars. The worlkdwatch people have been green enthusiasts for decades. If I am not mistaken they used to be into population catastrophe predictions, but I could be wrong.

I thought "an environmentally sustainable and socially just society, in which the needs of all people are met without threatening the health of the natural environment or the well-being of future generations" would be a consensus, apparently I was mistaken.
The Knesset - Israel's Parliament - has a body called "http://www.knesset.gov.il/sponsorship/future/data/About_E.asp"", is there an equivalent body in the US?

Last edited by a moderator: