A fun, engaging and visual way of showing laminar flow for young kids

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a 3 minute video to demonstrate the difference between laminar flow and turbulent flow. The goal is to make the video engaging and easy to understand without any mathematical concepts. One idea is to use a fish pump and dye to show the smoothness of laminar flow, while also showing the disruption and chaos of turbulent flow. Other ideas such as using playing cards and Google Images for inspiration are also mentioned.
LT72884
Homework Statement
a fun and engaging, visual way of showing laminar flow for young kids
Relevant Equations
no math can be used
I have been tasked by my fluid dynamics professor to create a 3 minute video showing and explaining laminar flow vs turbulant flow. It must be engaging and explain the concepts simply enough with no math.

I will be re-writting this definition below to suite the needs

""Laminar flow occurs when a fluid flows in parallel layers, with no disruption between the layers. At low velocities the fluid tends to flow without lateral mixing, and adjacent layers slide past one another like playing cards. There are no cross currents perpendicular to the direction of flow, nor eddies or swirls of fluids. In laminar flow the motion of the particles of fluid is very orderly with all particles moving in straight lines parallel to the pipe walls.""

One idea i had was to have my fish pump pump some water at low velocity, and add some dye to it to see the smoothness of the flow and have a 3d printed boat in the water following the flow, then switch to the bubbler and the boat and see the difference in flow?? i could also show palying cards as part of the demo??

what other simple fun ideas to show laminar flow?

thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I like to use Google Images to get ideas for things like this. I did a Google Images search on Laminar Flow and got some interesting images. Maybe try adding other search terms into help you find more potential images that inspire some ideas for your video...

https://www.google.com/search?q=laminar+flow&tbm=isch&sxsrf=AOaemvIaGDyW_ejDdQcc5ZgLu7LMoM2xWQ:1638384067086&source=hp&biw=1342&bih=995&ei=w8GnYaD_AomtoASE8qr4BA&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYafP0ws6scTkPaR9m32YfBF3cdgBG3tq&ved=0ahUKEwjg7MmioMP0AhWJFogKHQS5Ck8Q4dUDCAU&uact=5&oq=laminar+flow&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzILCAAQgAQQsQMQgwEyCAgAEIAEELEDMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQ6BwgjEO8DECc6CAgAELEDEIMBUABYnh1gzh1oAnAAeACAAUiIAbIFkgECMTGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img

Closeup_of_Horseshoe_Falls.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminar_flow

Likes FluidDroog, Delta2 and LT72884

1. What is laminar flow?

Laminar flow is a type of fluid flow where all the particles move in parallel layers, with no mixing between the layers. It is characterized by smooth, continuous motion and is often seen in low-viscosity fluids, such as water or air.

2. How is laminar flow different from turbulent flow?

In turbulent flow, the particles move in a chaotic manner and mix with each other, creating eddies and swirls. This type of flow is often seen in high-viscosity fluids, such as thick liquids or gases at high speeds. Laminar flow, on the other hand, has no mixing and is characterized by smooth, parallel motion.

3. Why is it important for kids to learn about laminar flow?

Understanding laminar flow can help kids develop an understanding of basic fluid dynamics and how different types of fluids behave. It can also introduce them to concepts such as viscosity and turbulence, which are important in many scientific fields.

4. How can laminar flow be visually shown to young kids?

One fun and engaging way to show laminar flow to kids is by using a laminar flow fountain. This device uses a pump to create a steady stream of water that flows in a smooth, laminar manner. Kids can also observe laminar flow in action by pouring different liquids of varying viscosities into a clear container and watching how they behave.

5. Are there any real-life applications of laminar flow?

Yes, laminar flow has many real-life applications. It is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing to improve the efficiency of fluid systems. It is also essential in medical devices, such as IV drips, where precise flow is necessary.