A glider of length 12.4 cm moves on an air track

In summary: Thanks for the heads up!In summary, the glider moves at a speed of 19.74 cm/s and has an acceleration of 1.39 g.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

Serway Physics - P2.40

A glider of length 12.4 cm moves on an air track with constant acceleration (Fig P2.39).
A time interval of 0.628 s elapses between the moment when its front end passes a fixed
point A along the track and the moment when its back end passes this pont. Next, a time
interval of 1.39 s elapses between the moment when the back end of the glider passes the
point A and the moment when the front end of the glider passes a second point B further
down the track. After that an additional 0.431 s elapses until the back end of the glider
passes point B.
(a) Find the average speed of the glider as it passes point A.
(b) Find the acceleration of the glider.
(c) Explain how you can compute the acceleration without knowing the distance
between points A and B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
(a) For constant acceleration I know that ##v_{x,avg}=\frac {v_{xi} + v_{xf}} {2} ## (1)

Also I know that ##x_f=x_i + \frac {v_{xi} + v_{xf}} {2} t## (2)

So ##(2) => v_{x,avg} = \frac {x_f - x_i} {t} = \frac {12.4cm} {0.626s} = 19.74cm/s##
Is part (a) correct?

How do I find part (b) and (c)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a) is correct for the average speed. To do parts (b) and (c) you need to bring in another "relevant" equation. You are given times and positions of the glider. What could that equation be?

Is it another equation under constant acceleration section of the book?
or you mean I should bring a velocity equation (since it is related with position and time) ?

Do you mean this equation: ##x=x_0+v_0 t+\frac {1} {2} at^2## ?

That's the one.

Well, I am wondering how to use this equation...
What is ##v_0##? Do I know ##v_0##?

Alexanddros81 said:
Well, I am wondering how to use this equation...
What is ##v_0##? Do I know ##v_0##?
You don't but you have information to write two equations and two unknowns, ##a## and ##v_0##. Use them to eliminate ##v_0## and find ##a##.

Is the following correct? (for part b)

Serway P2_40001.jpg

The first equation is correct but the second equation is not. You use the symbol ##v_0## to denote the velocity when the front end of the glider crosses point A. Because the glider accelerates, the velocity will no longer have that value when the glider crosses point B. You need to connect with an equation the velocity of the glider when its leading edge crosses point A, call it ##v_{0A}##, to the velocity of the glider when its leading edge crosses point B, call it ##v_{0B}.##

Last edited:
kuruman said:
The first equation is correct but the second equation is not. You use the symbol ##v_0## to denote the velocity when the front end of the glider crosses point A. Because the glider accelerates, the velocity will no longer have that value when the glider crosses point B. You need to connect with an equation the velocity of the glider when its leading edge crosses point A, call it ##v_{0A}##, to the velocity of the glider when its leading edge crosses point B, call it ##v_{0B}.##

Hi! Do you mean this equation ##v_{0B} = v_{0A} + at## where t = 0.628s + 1.39s ?

Last edited:
That's exactly what I mean!

Likes neilparker62
Personally, I would attack this by noting that, for constant acceleration, the velocity at the mid-point of a time interval is equal to the average velocity over that time interval.

That fact seems intuitively obvious, but can be derived if needed:

$$v_{ave} = \frac{v_i + v_f}{2}$$
$$= \frac{v_i + (v_i + a \Delta t)}{2}$$
$$= \frac{(v_i + a \Delta t/2) + (v_i + a\Delta t/2)}{2}$$
$$=\frac{2(v_i + a \Delta t/2)}{2}$$
$$=v_i + a \Delta t/2$$
$$=v_{mid time}$$

This clears the way for a very straightforward calculation.

Likes neilparker62
jbriggs444 said:
Personally, I would attack this by noting that, for constant acceleration, the velocity at the mid-point of a time interval is equal to the average velocity over that time interval.
Yes indeed, I was saving that approach for later, after OP completed the problem. The second approach makes the algebra simpler while the first approach has an easier-to-understand strategy and setup.

@J.Briggs - you beat me to it! Was just checking result on Wolfram Alpha as compared to OP's calculations as corrected by Kuruman. This is a very useful method to employ for (uniformly accelerating) projectiles passing a given space 'window' in a given time 'window'.

1. What is an air track?

An air track is a scientific tool that uses a cushion of air to minimize friction and allow objects to move smoothly along its surface. It is commonly used to study motion and collisions in physics experiments.

2. How does a glider move on an air track?

A glider moves on an air track by using the principle of air pressure. The air track has small holes along its surface which release a steady stream of air, creating a cushion of air that the glider can ride on. This minimizes friction and allows the glider to move with very little resistance.

3. What is the length of the glider in this scenario?

The glider in this scenario has a length of 12.4 cm. This can be measured from one end of the glider to the other, including any attached components such as wings or wheels.

4. How is the length of the glider related to its motion on the air track?

The length of the glider does not directly affect its motion on the air track. However, the mass and shape of the glider can impact its speed and acceleration on the track. A longer glider may have a larger mass and therefore may move slower than a shorter glider with less mass.

5. What are the benefits of using an air track in scientific experiments?

Using an air track in scientific experiments allows for more accurate and controlled measurements of motion and collisions. By minimizing friction, the air track allows objects to move more freely and allows for the study of concepts such as inertia and momentum. It also allows for repeatable experiments and reduces the effects of external factors on the object's motion.