A good calculus book for physics

In summary, the 8th grader is interested in studying physics and wants to study calculus first. They are seeking recommendations for good calculus books that will help them achieve their goal. Suggestions include Schaum's Outline, Thomas Calculus, and Stewart Calculus. It is also suggested to find a used copy of the book to save money. The student is also advised to study pre-calculus with books by Axler or Serge Lang before moving on to calculus.
a curious girl
I am an advanced 8th grader and I'm very interested in physics. However, I want to study calculus first (I know precaculus, but I will study it a bit further before beginning calculus). Does anyone have recommendations for good, interesting calculus books if my main goal in studying it now (as opposed to learning it in school) is to enable me to study physics?
For physics, I intend to use Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walkers.
I appreciate any suggestions, as well as explanation about the book and about why it's good for my purpose.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

For you I suggest a Schaum's Outline as your first book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071795537/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Cheap. Lots of worked examples.

If that's too easy then just hunt around in your school's library. Or your local high school's library. Or at your local college's library if you are that advanced. Find a book that is at your level. Then try to find a used copy for cheap. The text you use at this level is not going to be on your desk for ever. So try to get it cheap.

Later you will want a handbook. When you get to that stage you will want something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486411478/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you go into any STEM area you will probably want something like that on your desk. But that's probably a few years away.

Thomas Calculus 3rd ed with analytical geometry and an old version of Stewart Calculus. Both books complement each other nicely.

If you had geometry, a good course using a book, say, Jacobs Geometry, then you may want to do Kisselev. I am a little concerned that you are in the 8th grade and you already "know pre-calculus". I suggest you study pre-calculus by Axler or Serge Lang: Basic Mathematics first.

What is calculus and why is it important for physics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is important for physics because many fundamental laws and theories in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and Einstein's theory of relativity, are based on calculus concepts.

What qualities should I look for in a calculus book for physics?

A good calculus book for physics should have a clear and concise writing style, plenty of examples and exercises, and a focus on applying calculus concepts to real-world physics problems.

Do I need prior knowledge of calculus to understand a calculus book for physics?

Yes, a basic understanding of calculus is necessary to understand a calculus book for physics. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and pre-calculus before attempting to learn calculus.

Are there any recommended calculus books specifically for physics?

Yes, there are several recommended calculus books for physics, such as "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William L. Briggs and Lyle Cochran and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart.

Can I learn calculus for physics on my own using a book?

Yes, it is possible to learn calculus for physics on your own using a book. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a tutor or professor to ensure proper understanding and application of the concepts.