A good introductory biochemistry book for medical school

In summary: Ah, lovely! Thank you :). My Professor actually recommended Leningher's book so I took it out of the library. I'll have a read through it.In summary, the author recommends a book called "Principles of Biochemistry" by Albert Leningher. This book is a bit more in-depth than a typical introductory textbook, but may be enough for someone who is starting out in biochemistry.
Mahavir
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to find an introductory textbook that really introduces biochemistry with a very basic approach. As part of my first year medical courses, I will need to take a few weeks of biochemistry and the textbook that has been recommended is Lodish et al. Molecular Cell Biology As good as this book is, I'm looking for something even simpler to really understand the core concepts as if it were being explained to a child.

I apologise if this request is a bit annoying but any help would be very highly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mahavir said:
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to find an introductory textbook that really introduces biochemistry with a very basic approach. As part of my first year medical courses, I will need to take a few weeks of biochemistry and the textbook that has been recommended is Lodish et al. Molecular Cell Biology As good as this book is, I'm looking for something even simpler to really understand the core concepts as if it were being explained to a child.

I apologise if this request is a bit annoying but any help would be very highly appreciated!

Biochemistry for Dummies is about a tenner on Amazon

pinball1970 said:
Biochemistry for Dummies is about a tenner on Amazon
Hi, pinball1970. Thank you for your reply. I should have mentioned it in my initial post but I didn’t find the dummies book great. So you have any suggestions, perhaps?

Mahavir said:
Hi, pinball1970. Thank you for your reply. I should have mentioned it in my initial post but I didn’t find the dummies book great. So you have any suggestions, perhaps?

yes let me dig it out

Mahavir said:

I found this on line - but it looks like early 2000s edition - it may be enough for you.

http://www.esalq.usp.br/lepse/imgs/conteudo_thumb/mini/Principles-of-Biochemistry-by-ALbert-Leningher.pdf

I don't think there is much of an in between Dummies and proper textbooks.

Likes Mahavir
pinball1970 said:
I found this on line - but it looks like early 2000s edition - it may be enough for you.

http://www.esalq.usp.br/lepse/imgs/conteudo_thumb/mini/Principles-of-Biochemistry-by-ALbert-Leningher.pdf

I don't think there is much of an in between Dummies and proper textbooks.
Ah, lovely! Thank you :). My Professor actually recommended Leningher's book so I took it out of the library. I'll have a read through it.

Thank you again! :)

1. What are the key topics covered in a good introductory biochemistry book for medical school?

A good introductory biochemistry book for medical school should cover a wide range of topics, including the structure and function of biomolecules, enzyme kinetics, cellular metabolism, and the role of biochemistry in human health and disease.

2. What are the recommended prerequisites for using a biochemistry book in medical school?

It is recommended to have a basic understanding of general chemistry and biology before delving into biochemistry. Some knowledge of organic chemistry and genetics may also be helpful.

3. Is it important to have a book specifically for medical school level biochemistry?

Yes, it is important to have a biochemistry book specifically designed for medical school level because it will focus on the topics most relevant to medical professionals and provide a strong foundation for understanding biochemistry in a clinical context.

4. How can I choose the best introductory biochemistry book for my needs?

When choosing a biochemistry book for medical school, consider factors such as the author's expertise, the book's organization and level of difficulty, and any additional resources or practice questions provided. It may also be helpful to read reviews from other medical students or consult with your professors for recommendations.

5. Is it necessary to purchase a printed version of the biochemistry book or is an electronic version sufficient?

This ultimately depends on personal preference. Some students may find it easier to study from a physical book, while others may prefer the convenience of an electronic version. It is important to make sure that the electronic version is easily accessible and compatible with your preferred device.