A helicopter is initially moving at 9m/s to the left. It

In summary, the problem involves a helicopter initially moving at 9 m/s to the left and then accelerating at 4 m/s^2 to the right for 2 seconds. The question asks for the distance traveled during this time. Using the formula for uniform acceleration, we can calculate the distance using the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. It is also important to consider the vector addition of the initial velocity and acceleration. Therefore, the distance traveled is 26 m to the right.
SuperDuperSunny

Homework Statement

A helicopter is initially moving at 9 m/s to the left. It then accelerates at 4 m/s^2 to the right for 2s. How far does it travel during the 2 s.
answers:
26 m to the right
17m to the right
10m to the left
5 m to the left
1 m to the left

If you don't want to give me the answer, could you guys just point me in the right direction or give me the formula. This is homework and i have an hour left on my online quiz. Thank you in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Can indeed not just give you the answer (I'd be banned from PF according to the rules).
But in this exercise it's the same thing (uniform acceleration) as in the other, plus a vector addition.

Oh, and: my friendly IT helper has a sign on the wall:
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency for me !

1. What is the velocity of the helicopter after 5 seconds?

The velocity of the helicopter will remain constant at 9m/s to the left after 5 seconds, assuming there are no external forces acting on it.

2. How far will the helicopter travel in 10 seconds?

The distance traveled by the helicopter in 10 seconds can be calculated by multiplying its initial velocity (9m/s) by the time (10 seconds), resulting in a distance of 90 meters to the left.

3. What is the acceleration of the helicopter?

Since the velocity of the helicopter remains constant, its acceleration is zero. This means there are no changes in its speed or direction.

4. Can the helicopter change its direction?

Yes, the helicopter can change its direction by applying a force in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. This will result in a change in its velocity and acceleration.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of the helicopter?

Air resistance can slow down the helicopter's motion and decrease its velocity over time. This is known as drag and is dependent on the helicopter's shape, size, and speed.