A hollow sphere sinks some fraction f in water...

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the fraction of water that needs to be poured into a completely hollow sphere in order for it to sink. The Archimedes principle and the buoyant force are used to find the average density of the hollow air and metal shell, and it is determined that the weight of the sphere is equal to the buoyant force, which is equal to the weight of water displaced. The mass of the sphere is then calculated in order to find the correct fraction of water needed to make the sphere sink.
Vriska

Homework Statement

When completely hollow. To what fraction of volume should water be poured into it so that it is just enough to cause the sphere to sink. [/B]

Homework Equations

Archemedes : Buoyant fource equals weight of water displaced

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's first find the density of the metal and air part that goes into the water -

let d_s be density of the air metal combination that sinks. and d_w be that of water

d_s *V*g = d_w*f*V*g
with this we have found air metal density d_a.

annnd i don't think this step is correct so I won't proceed to get my incorrect answer. I'm not sure what else to do here, there's no finding out the volume of the shell because it's a shell, it has no volume. This is effectively the volume of the shell and air(or lack of) but this doesn't look to be constant honestly.

But my next step is let p be the fraction of water to be poured

d_w*p*V*g + d_a*V *g= (1-p)*V*g. V being the total volume of the sphere.

leads to a wrong answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vriska said:
Archemedes : Buoyant fource equals weight of water displaced
And what is this also equal to, in the case of a floating body?

mjc123 said:
And what is this also equal to, in the case of a floating body?

the weight of the body?

Vriska said:
the weight of the body?
If sphere sink completely then buoyancy force=weight of hollow sphere+weight of volume poured in hollow sphere

Abhishek kumar said:
If sphere sink completely then buoyancy force=weight of hollow sphere+weight of volume poured in hollow sphere

What's the weight of the hollow sphere?

Vriska said:
Here nothing is given in question to calcute the weight

A ship floats if mass of hull-displaced water exceeds the mass of ship hull + cargo.
{ Leaving aside free-board & safety margins. See submarines, FLIP-SHIP, also semi-submersible / whale-back ships on Great Lakes... }

Unless the spherical hull is very large and light compared to content, you'll need its mass. Consider the bathyscaphe, buoyed by a flimsy tank of kerosene...

Vriska said:
You have obscured from view the pertaining part of the problem statement: it has to do with the fraction ##f## in you thread title ...

BvU said:
You have obscured from view the pertaining part of the problem statement: it has to do with the fraction ##f## in you thread title ...

Hm, I definitely can use that to get the average density of the hollow air + metal shell but I don't see that helping

Nik_2213 said:
A ship floats if mass of hull-displaced water exceeds the mass of ship hull + cargo.
{ Leaving aside free-board & safety margins. See submarines, FLIP-SHIP, also semi-submersible / whale-back ships on Great Lakes... }

Unless the spherical hull is very large and light compared to content, you'll need its mass. Consider the bathyscaphe, buoyed by a flimsy tank of kerosene...

I'm not assuming anything about the mass of the shell. I got this from a problem that went like - a hollow spherical shell floats with half its volume submerged, to what fraction of volume should it be filled to make it sink. Answer by symmetry being V/2. I'm trying to get a general case of that here

Vriska said:
Hm, I definitely can use that to get the average density of the hollow air + metal shell but I don't see that helping
You wanted the weight. See if you can ignore the mass of the air (both inside and outside of the sphere)

Last edited:
Vriska said:
I'm not assuming anything about the mass of the shell. I got this from a problem that went like - a hollow spherical shell floats with half its volume submerged, to what fraction of volume should it be filled to make it sink. Answer by symmetry being V/2. I'm trying to get a general case of that here
If problem state that what portion of volume submerg then you can find the density or weight of material but here nothing given about initial condition of sphere.

Vriska said:
a hollow spherical shell floats with half its volume submerged, to what fraction of volume should it be filled to make it sink. Answer by symmetry being V/2. I'm trying to get a general case of that here
Imagine replacing the shell with one of zero weight but partly filled with water, and with the same fraction submersed.

haruspex said:
Imagine replacing the shell with one of zero weight but partly filled with water, and with the same fraction submersed.

If the fraction f is filled with water in an invisible, weightless ball, then 1-f needs to be put to make it sink. But now let's assume that that f fraction of water were transformed into a hard shell, it's mass would be the same but since it's thin we can ignore the effect of volume so we need to had 1-f of water to make it sink.

amazing insight thank you so much!

BvU said:
You wanted the weight. See if you can ignore the mass of the air (both inside and outside of the sphere)

how do I get the weight : (? the sphere is hollow, I can find the average density of the empty space and the metal by density_metal * V = f(fraction submerged) *V*d_water.

but what would i do with this?

You know the average density and the volume, but you can't find the weight...?
You have already said that the weight is equal to the buoyant force, which is equal to the weight of water displaced.
So M*g = dw*f*V*g
Now what would the mass have to be for the sphere to just sink (f=1)?

mjc123 said:
You know the average density and the volume, but you can't find the weight...?
You have already said that the weight is equal to the buoyant force, which is equal to the weight of water displaced.
So M*g = dw*f*V*g
Now what would the mass have to be for the sphere to just sink (f=1)?

oh yeah right that's how. I just have to do mg + d w p(fraction of water desired) V = d_w *V*g?

taking mg = d_w *f*v*g so we get our expected 1-f! Thanks! I don't know what i was getting so confused over.

Likes Nik_2213

1. What is the definition of a hollow sphere?

A hollow sphere is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by an outer surface and an inner cavity or empty space.

2. How does a hollow sphere behave when placed in water?

A hollow sphere will sink in water until it reaches a point where its weight is equal to the weight of the water it has displaced, at which point it will stop sinking and float.

3. What is the significance of the fraction f in the statement "A hollow sphere sinks some fraction f in water..."?

The fraction f represents the percentage of the sphere's volume that is submerged in water. For example, if f is 0.5, then half of the sphere's volume is underwater.

4. Can the fraction f ever be greater than 1?

No, the fraction f cannot be greater than 1 because this would mean that the sphere is completely submerged in water, which would make it impossible for it to float.

5. How does the density of the hollow sphere affect its sinking fraction in water?

The density of the hollow sphere plays a major role in determining its sinking fraction in water. A sphere with a higher density will sink more compared to a sphere with a lower density, assuming all other factors remain constant.