A Large scale eigenvalue problem solver

In summary, the eigenvalue problem solver you are using is EISPACK. It is a set of routines which can be used to find eigenvalues of matrices. Your particular problem is challenging because of the size of the system you want to solve. In general, most routines use some form of iteration to obtain estimates of the eigenvalues, so find the biggest, fastest computer you can and be prepared to wait for the results. It would also be helpful if you could take advantage of any special properties of the array. For example, are the array entries real or complex? Is the array symmetric or Hermitian? Is the array sparse? etc etc. Several routines are written to make the most of
jollage
Hi, I'm wondering what eigenvalue problem solver you are using? I'm looking for an one which could solve a very large eigenvalue problem, the matrices being ~ 100,000*100,000. Do you have any advices?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jollage said:
Hi, I'm wondering what eigenvalue problem solver you are using? I'm looking for an one which could solve a very large eigenvalue problem, the matrices being ~ 100,000*100,000. Do you have any advices?

Thanks.

EISPACK is one set of routines which can be used to find eigenvalues. Your particular problem is challenging because of the size of the system you want to solve. In general, most routines use some form of iteration to obtain estimates of the eigenvalues, so find the biggest, fastest computer you can and be prepared to wait for the results.

SteamKing said:
EISPACK is one set of routines which can be used to find eigenvalues. Your particular problem is challenging because of the size of the system you want to solve. In general, most routines use some form of iteration to obtain estimates of the eigenvalues, so find the biggest, fastest computer you can and be prepared to wait for the results.

It would also be helpful if you could take advantage of any special properties of the array. For example, are the array entries real or complex? Is the array symmetric or Hermitian? Is the array sparse? etc etc. Several routines are written to make the most of these features and provide faster execution times. So if you could identify one or two special features of the array, and then pick the routine appropriate for that particular feature, the work would go a lot faster.

Also, to re-state what "SteamKing" posted, the bigger and faster the computer, the better.
Just out of curiousity, some time ago I wanted to find out what the largest size matrix my PC could handle (type double). I think I made it up to about 400 x 400 before my PC couldn't handle it. And that was just to define the matrix. I did not even get around to doing anything with it. If you are using matrices of size 100000 x 100000, you are going to need a pretty high-end computer.

All the best in your endeavors.

And with such a large system, you might run into roundoff problems, which might generate meaningless garbage eigenvalues should your efforts lead to results. I'm with DuncanM: you should consider the numerical analysis aspects of this problem carefully before investing a lot of time into trying to crank out a solution.

jollage, as the other posters mention, you ought to use one that uses whatever special features your matrix has, like being symmetric. Another feature is sparsity. Your matrix has 1010 components, while a sparse matrix can be specified with much less memory as a list of (row #, column #, value).

Also, what do you need the eigenvalues for? Does your problem need all the eigenvalues of that matrix? Or does it need only the few largest or few smallest? You can save a lot of computation by computing only some subset.

I guess this is a bit late, but such big problems are typically solved using subspace methods like Davidson iteration[*]. For sizes far beyond 100k rows, it is normally impractical to calculate all eigenvectors, and, in fact, it may be impractical even to compute or store the matrix to eigen-solve itself. For this reason standard black-box methods as found, say, in LAPACK (e.g., based on divide&conquer diagonalization or the multiple relatively robust representations) are often not the method of choice.

In such large cases, often only a few eigenvectors are required, and most practical algorithms are based around the operation r = H * c, i.e., the contraction of the operator to a trial vector "c" (or set of trial vectors) in which the matrix representation of operator H is never needed. The subsequent intermediate results of H * c are then used to iteratively improve the trial solution, usually by using the result to construct a new "trial" vector and adding it to an iterative subspace ("Krylov subspace"), in which the problem is solved exactly. In order to use such methods efficiently, however, additional information about the operator is usually required (e.g., some form of useful preconditioner), so they are not black-box methods.

[*]: (For some reason beyond my comprehension, many people also use the Lanczos algorithm for finding eigenvectors. If you think of doing this: Don't. Use Davidson-Jacobi. It is much superior in every way.)

Related to A Large scale eigenvalue problem solver

1. What is a large scale eigenvalue problem?

A large scale eigenvalue problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the eigenvalues (or characteristic values) and corresponding eigenvectors of a large matrix. The size of the matrix can range from thousands to millions of dimensions, making it computationally challenging to solve.

2. What is the importance of solving large scale eigenvalue problems?

Large scale eigenvalue problems have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and data analysis. They are used to solve complex systems, identify important patterns, and make predictions based on data.

3. What are some challenges in solving large scale eigenvalue problems?

The main challenge in solving large scale eigenvalue problems is the computational complexity involved. As the size of the matrix increases, the time and resources required to solve the problem also increase significantly. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution can be affected by numerical errors and round-off errors.

4. What are the different methods used to solve large scale eigenvalue problems?

There are several methods that can be used to solve large scale eigenvalue problems, including iterative methods, direct methods, and hybrid methods. Some popular techniques include the power method, Lanczos method, and Arnoldi method.

5. How can a large scale eigenvalue problem solver be implemented?

A large scale eigenvalue problem solver can be implemented using different programming languages such as C++, Fortran, or MATLAB. It can also be implemented using specialized software packages designed specifically for solving eigenvalue problems, such as ARPACK or SLEPc.