A level physics doubt about a Diffraction grating

In summary, a question is posed about the maximum number of observed maxima when monochromatic light of wavelength 690nm passes through a diffraction grating with 300 lines per mm. The relevant formula is given as n*wavelength = d*sin x, but the poster is unsure of what angle to use. They have attempted to solve the problem but are stuck and getting an incorrect answer. More context and effort is needed to fully understand and solve the problem.
Atomsmasher2001

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light of wavelength 690nm passes through a diffraction grating with 300 lines per mm, producing a series of maxima on a screen. What is the greatest number of maximas that can be observed?
A) 4
B) 5
C) 8
D) 9

Homework Equations

n*wavelength = d*sin x

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I took it as: wavelength= 690x10^-9 m
D = 300 x 10^-3 m
So I tried substituting in the equation but I didn’t know what angle to take. So yeah that’s where I’m stuck.[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? Where exactly are you stuck?

renec112 said:
What have you tried? Where exactly are you stuck?

Well, I took it as: wavelength= 690x10^-9 m
D = 300 x 10^-3 m
So I tried substituting in the equation but I didn’t know what angle to take. So yeah that’s where I’m stuck.

@Atomsmasher2001 In general, please give us some more context in section two of the template and show more effort to solve the problem in section three. Usually you will have made some considerations, drawings or even calculations, so show them. I counted your previous post #3 as such an effort, although it lacks more than it shows.

fresh_42 said:
@Atomsmasher2001 In general, please give us some more context in section two of the template and show more effort to solve the problem in section three. Usually you will have made some considerations, drawings or even calculations, so show them. I counted your previous post #3 as such an effort, although it lacks more than it shows.
Ok sorry. But this is all the relevant formulas for this. My working I’ll show more. But I have no clue for this so I’m getting a completely wrong answer(not even close to the options).

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a scientific tool used to separate and analyze light into its component wavelengths. It is made up of a series of equally spaced parallel slits or grooves that cause light to diffract, or spread out, creating a rainbow-like pattern.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

When a beam of light passes through a diffraction grating, it is split into multiple beams that are diffracted at different angles depending on their wavelength. This is due to the interference of light waves passing through the slits, causing constructive and destructive interference patterns, resulting in the separation of wavelengths.

3. What is the difference between a diffraction grating and a prism?

A diffraction grating separates light into its wavelengths through diffraction, while a prism separates light through refraction. This means that a diffraction grating is able to separate a wider range of wavelengths compared to a prism. Additionally, a diffraction grating creates a more precise and accurate separation of wavelengths.

4. How is a diffraction grating used in science?

A diffraction grating is used in numerous scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It is commonly used in spectrophotometers to analyze the composition of substances based on their absorption or emission spectra. It is also used in telescopes to analyze the light from stars and galaxies, providing information about their composition and movement.

5. What factors affect the diffraction pattern produced by a diffraction grating?

The spacing of the slits or grooves on the diffraction grating, the wavelength of the light being diffracted, and the angle at which the light hits the grating all affect the diffraction pattern. Additionally, the material and quality of the diffraction grating can also impact the pattern produced.