A list named the"10 characteristic experiences of physics" does it exist?

In summary: I'm not sure if it would be on the same level as the other experiments on the list, but it would be worth checking out if you're interested in this type of thing.In summary, the New York Times has published a list of beautiful physics experiments.
Christian Desbordes
Hello,

A few years ago I heard about a list named the "10 characteristic experiences of physics", may I know if a such list exist?

A few years ago, at the physics workshops at the Palais de la découverte, I saw the so-called "triple point of water" experience.
The experimenter told us that this experience was part of the "10 characteristic experiments of physics".
Unfortunately, I have not succeeded to find these "10 characteristic experiences of physics" on the internet and the Palais de la découverte has been closed.
Can you help me, please?
If not, would you know a list of other physics experiments that are as spectacular and relatively simple to perform?
Thank you and best regards.
Christian

Physics news on Phys.org
Christian Desbordes said:
A few years ago, at the physics workshops at the Palais de la découverte, I saw the so-called "triple point of water" experience.

That would be considered a demonstration. Not an experience. You may be thinking of experiment.

I am looking for something called "10 characteristic experiences of physics" and it is about 10 experiences
Thank you.

Hmmm... I was thinking that somehow a translation from the French was responsible for what I saw. Sorry.

@Mister T,
I believe you are correct. The french word for experiment is "Expérience".

@Christian Desbordes,
I could suggest you search instead for "10 characteristic experiments of physics" but I think you would be wasting your time.

There is no such thing as a definitive list of "10 characteristic experiments of physics", any such list would be the personal choice of whoever made the list.

You could try searching on the experimenters name plus 'characteristic experiments (or experiences) of physics' if you can remember the name.

Don't forget that the french word for experiment is "Expérience".

Good luck.

Likes Dadface and berkeman
New York Times has published a list of Science's 10 most beautiful experiments. They are all physics related though so the title is a bit of a misdirect.

Likes berkeman
Thank you.

Note that the triple point demonstration is not among the ten!

I think of that triple point demonstration as something designed to be shown to an audience or class as a way of educating people while entertaining them. A series of demonstrations like this is sometimes called a Physics Magic Show.

1. What is "A list named the "10 characteristic experiences of physics"?

The "10 characteristic experiences of physics" is a list of the most common and fundamental experiences or phenomena that are studied and observed in the field of physics. These experiences serve as the building blocks for understanding the laws and principles of physics.

2. Who created the "10 characteristic experiences of physics" list?

The list was created by a group of scientists and researchers in the field of physics, led by renowned physicist Richard Feynman. They identified and compiled these experiences based on their extensive knowledge and studies of the subject.

3. Are the experiences on the list universally accepted by all scientists?

While the list is widely recognized and accepted by the scientific community, there may be some variations or disagreements among scientists on which experiences should be included. However, the overall concepts and principles remain the same.

4. How can these experiences be applied in real life?

The 10 characteristic experiences of physics are not just theoretical concepts, but they have practical applications in our daily lives. For example, understanding the principles of motion and gravity can help us build structures that can withstand natural forces, and the laws of thermodynamics are crucial in designing efficient engines and energy systems.

5. Is the list exhaustive or are there more experiences that could be added?

The list is not exhaustive and can be expanded as new discoveries and advancements are made in the field of physics. However, the 10 characteristic experiences serve as a comprehensive and fundamental guide for understanding the principles and laws of the universe.