A little problem on exact sequences, part 2.

• MHB
  • Thread starter steenis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving exact sequences and dual statements in linear abstract algebra. The term "dual" is clarified and two possible interpretations are discussed. The solution is presented, proving that the sequence is left-exact and providing a proof for the dual statement. The commentator provides further clarification and a labeled diagram to illustrate the dual statement.
steenis
Part 1 of this little problem is here: http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/little-problem-exact-sequences-19368.html.

This is part 2: who can formulate and prove the dual statement?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should clarify what you mean by "dual", which might mean:

a) The statement obtained by "reversing all the arrows", or

b) the statement obtained by considering the "dual modules" $\text{Hom}_R(-,R)$.

I am afraid it is neither a) nor b), so I doubt if I used the term "dual" correctly. But it is about the dual notions ker and coker. This is what I know of the solution:We have two R-maps $f:A\to B$ and $g:B\to C$ of left R-modules.
And we have an isomorphism $A\cong \ker g$ "induced by f" .
Then prove that the sequence $S:0\to A\to _f B\to _g C$ is left-exact, i.e.,
$\mbox{im} f = \ker g$ and $f$ is injective.Proof:
Let $\overline f : A\to \ker g : a\mapsto f(a)$ be the isomorphism between $A$ and $\ker g$ induced by f. This implies that $\mbox{im }f \subset \ker g$ and the well-definition of $\overline f$ (because $f$ is well-defined).
Subsequently, we have:
$x\in \ker g \Leftrightarrow \exists (a\in A) \mbox{ } \overline f (a) = f(a) = x \Leftrightarrow x\in \mbox{im }f$, i.e., $\mbox{im }f = \ker g$.
And:
$x\in \ker f \Rightarrow x\in \ker \overline f \Rightarrow x=0$, i.e., $f$ is injective. $\Box$

Your comments, please.

Last edited:
steenis said:
I am afraid it is neither a) nor b), so I doubt if I used the term "dual" correctly. But it is about the dual notions ker and coker. This is what I know of the solution:We have two R-maps $f:A\to B$ and $g:B\to C$ of left R-modules.
And we have an isomorphism $A\cong \ker g$ "induced by f" .
Then prove that the sequence $S:0\to A\to _f B\to _g C$ is left-exact, i.e.,
$\mbox{im} f = \ker g$ and $f$ is injective.Proof:
Let $\overline f : A\to \ker g : a\mapsto f(a)$ be the isomorphism between $A$ and $\ker g$ induced by f. This implies that $\mbox{im }f \subset \ker g$ and the well-definition of $\overline f$ (because $f$ is well-defined).
Subsequently, we have:
$x\in \ker g \Leftrightarrow \exists (a\in A) \mbox{ } \overline f (a) = f(a) = x \Leftrightarrow x\in \mbox{im }f$, i.e., $\mbox{im }f = \ker g$.
And:
$x\in \ker f \Rightarrow x\in \ker \overline f \Rightarrow x=0$, i.e., $f$ is injective. $\Box$

Your comments, please.
That is "dual" as in a) of my previous post. Note that in part 1), $B/(\text{im }f)$ *is* $\text{coker }f$, so that the dual of the diagram:

$A \stackrel{f}{\to}B \stackrel{g}{\to}C \cong \text{coker }f \to 0$ is:

$0 \to C\cong \text{ker }k\stackrel{h}{\to}B\stackrel{k}{\to}A$

(I have labelled the reverse arrows $C \to B$ and $B \to A$ by $h$ and $k$ to avoid thinking of them as "inverse functions"), with the isomorphisms *induced* by the arrow just before on part 1), and just after in part 2).

Thank you, Deveno, very clear.

Related to A little problem on exact sequences, part 2.

1. What is an exact sequence?

An exact sequence is a sequence of mathematical objects or structures, such as groups or vector spaces, that are connected by homomorphisms (or linear transformations). These homomorphisms are required to satisfy certain conditions, known as the exactness conditions, which state that the image of one object is equal to the kernel of the next one.

2. Why are exact sequences important?

Exact sequences are important because they allow us to study the relationships between different mathematical structures and to understand how they are connected. They also provide a powerful tool for proving theorems and solving problems in various branches of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and geometry.

3. How do you construct an exact sequence?

To construct an exact sequence, you first need to choose a set of mathematical objects or structures and determine the homomorphisms between them. Then, you need to check that these homomorphisms satisfy the exactness conditions. If they do, you have successfully constructed an exact sequence.

4. What is the difference between a short exact sequence and a long exact sequence?

A short exact sequence is a sequence with only three objects and two homomorphisms, while a long exact sequence is a sequence with more than three objects and more than two homomorphisms. In general, a short exact sequence is easier to work with and understand, but a long exact sequence can provide more information and be more powerful in solving certain problems.

5. Are there applications of exact sequences in real-world problems?

Yes, exact sequences have many applications in real-world problems, particularly in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they can be used to study the behavior of electric circuits, to analyze data in machine learning algorithms, and to model biological systems.