Dual Vector Space and Dual Basis - another question - Winitzki Section 1-6

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the dual basis in linear algebra and how it is dependent on the entire basis rather than just one basis vector. The conversation also highlights the idea that coordinate tuples are not the same as vectors themselves and can vary depending on the chosen basis. The importance of choosing a convenient basis is also mentioned.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Segei Winitzki's book: Linear Algebra via Exterior Products ...

I am currently focused on Section 1.6: Dual (conjugate) vector space ... ...

I need help in order to get a clear understanding of an aspect of the notion or concept of the dual basis \(\displaystyle \{ e^*_1, e^*_2, \ ... \ ... \ , \ e^*_n \} \)

The relevant part of Winitzki's text reads as follows:http://mathhelpboards.com/attachments/linear-abstract-algebra-14/5348-dual-vector-space-dual-basis-another-question-winitzki-section-1-6-a-winitzki-dual-basis-pngIn the above quoted text from Winitzki, we read:

" ... ... Please note that \(\displaystyle e^*_1\) depends on the entire basis \(\displaystyle \{ e^*_j \}\) and not only on \(\displaystyle e^*_1\), as might appear from the notation \(\displaystyle e^*_1\). ... ... "I am puzzled by this statement ... can someone explain how, and indeed why, \(\displaystyle e^*_1\) depends on the entire basis \(\displaystyle \{ e^*_j \}\) and not only on \(\displaystyle e^*_1\) ... a clarification of the nature of the dual basis would be most helpful ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter===========================================================*** NOTE ***To indicate Winitzki's approach to the dual space (and its basis) and his notation I am providing the text of his introduction to Section 1.6 on the dual or conjugate vector space ... ... as follows ... ...
http://mathhelpboards.com/attachments/linear-abstract-algebra-14/5349-dual-vector-space-dual-basis-another-question-winitzki-section-1-6-a-winitzki-1-section-1-6-part-1-png
http://mathhelpboards.com/attachments/linear-abstract-algebra-14/5350-dual-vector-space-dual-basis-another-question-winitzki-section-1-6-a-winitzki-2-section-1-6-part-2-png

Physics news on Phys.org
The coordinates of a vector in a basis depend on ALL the basis vectors.

Suppose we have the basis $\{(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)\}$ of $\Bbb R^3$, and we switch to the basis $\{(1,2,3),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)\}$.

Then a given vector which has coordinates $(5,3,1)$ in the standard basis, now has coordinates $(5,-7,-14)$. Even though only ONE basis vector changed, TWO coordinates changed. One can create easily examples where ALL the coordinates change when you change bases.

So if you define a linear functional by choosing the $i$-th coordinate in a given basis, if you change the basis, the same process will yield a DIFFERENT linear functional.

For emphasis: coordinate $n$-tuples are NOT the vectors they represent EXCEPT when one is using the STANDARD basis. A point in $n$-space is just a point in $n$-space. The coordinates are something "we make up" in order to have a handy DESCRIPTION. I may describe someplace as "1 unit" from my house, where by "unit" I mean 2000 feet northwest. If someone else describes it (that same location I refer to) by kilometers east, and kilometers south, the numbers they describe it with will be different than MY "(1,0)" (the "0" refers to, of course, 2000 feet southeast), but we are referring to the same point.

Vector spaces do not come with a basis pre-installed. They have MANY possible bases, and picking one over another is merely a matter of convenience. Again, for emphasis:

The basis $\{(1,0,\dots,0),(0,1,\dots,0),\dots,(0,,\dots,1)\}$ is not "the" basis of $\Bbb R^n$, it just one that allows us to use $n$-tuples INTERCHANGEABLY with the vectors themselves. For some linear transformations, this makes life easier, for others, it does not.

Deveno said:
The coordinates of a vector in a basis depend on ALL the basis vectors.

Suppose we have the basis $\{(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)\}$ of $\Bbb R^3$, and we switch to the basis $\{(1,2,3),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)\}$.

Then a given vector which has coordinates $(5,3,1)$ in the standard basis, now has coordinates $(5,-7,-14)$. Even though only ONE basis vector changed, TWO coordinates changed. One can create easily examples where ALL the coordinates change when you change bases.

So if you define a linear functional by choosing the $i$-th coordinate in a given basis, if you change the basis, the same process will yield a DIFFERENT linear functional.

For emphasis: coordinate $n$-tuples are NOT the vectors they represent EXCEPT when one is using the STANDARD basis. A point in $n$-space is just a point in $n$-space. The coordinates are something "we make up" in order to have a handy DESCRIPTION. I may describe someplace as "1 unit" from my house, where by "unit" I mean 2000 feet northwest. If someone else describes it (that same location I refer to) by kilometers east, and kilometers south, the numbers they describe it with will be different than MY "(1,0)" (the "0" refers to, of course, 2000 feet southeast), but we are referring to the same point.

Vector spaces do not come with a basis pre-installed. They have MANY possible bases, and picking one over another is merely a matter of convenience. Again, for emphasis:

The basis $\{(1,0,\dots,0),(0,1,\dots,0),\dots,(0,,\dots,1)\}$ is not "the" basis of $\Bbb R^n$, it just one that allows us to use $n$-tuples INTERCHANGEABLY with the vectors themselves. For some linear transformations, this makes life easier, for others, it does not.

Thanks Deveno ... relevant and helpful ...

Still reflecting on what you have said ...

Thank you again ...

Peter

1. What is a dual vector space?

A dual vector space is a mathematical concept in linear algebra where a second vector space is constructed from an original vector space, representing the set of all linear transformations from the original space to the field of scalars (usually real or complex numbers). In simpler terms, it is a space of linear functionals that can act on vectors in the original space.

2. How is a dual vector space related to a basis?

In a dual vector space, the basis is known as the dual basis. It is a set of linear functionals that form a basis for the space. This means that any functional in the dual space can be written as a unique linear combination of the basis functionals.

3. What is the importance of dual vector spaces?

Dual vector spaces are important in many areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, functional analysis, and quantum mechanics. They provide a way to represent linear transformations and functionals in a vector space, making it easier to perform calculations and solve problems.

4. How are dual vector spaces and dual bases used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, dual vector spaces and dual bases are used to represent quantum states and observables. The complex conjugate of a wavefunction represents a vector in the dual space, and the inner product between two wavefunctions represents the dual basis. This allows for calculations of probabilities and expectation values in quantum mechanics.

5. Can a vector space have more than one dual space?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple dual spaces. This is because the dual space is dependent on the field of scalars used, so changing the field can result in a different dual space. In addition, some vector spaces may have different types of dual spaces, such as the algebraic dual space and the topological dual space, which have different properties and applications.