A little puzzled about superluminality

• Thread starter phys12345
  • Start date
In summary, recent reports in mainstream journals have discussed the concept of superluminal transport of electromagnetic energy as a quantum effect. However, these reports have received criticism and rebuttals from other sources. It is important to note that theoretical evidence, without experimental evidence, may not hold much weight. The standard model does not allow for superluminal energy or information transfer, and until there is experimental evidence to the contrary, this remains the accepted understanding in physics.
phys12345
Recently I read some main-stream journals reporting about superluminal transport of EM energy; they say that is a quantum effect. For example,

Phys. Rev. A 75, 042105 (2007) [4 pages]
"Theoretical evidence for the superluminality of evanescent modes"
http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v75/i4/e042105

Annalen der Physik, Volume 17, Issue 5, pages 319–325, May 2008
"Superluminal propagation of evanescent modes as a quantum effect"
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=71EA4DFAA213DD3DB158976C861E2690.d04t01

If the EM energy propagates at faster-than-light speed, then the photon moves at faster-than-light speed because the photon is the carrier of energy. But in the quantum theory, they say there are no concepts about particle's location and velocity, but just probability, or energy eigen states. How to understand the results reported in the above papers?

Physics news on Phys.org
phys12345 said:
Recently I read some main-stream journals reporting about superluminal transport of EM energy; they say that is a quantum effect. For example,

Phys. Rev. A 75, 042105 (2007) [4 pages]
"Theoretical evidence for the superluminality of evanescent modes"
http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v75/i4/e042105

Annalen der Physik, Volume 17, Issue 5, pages 319–325, May 2008
"Superluminal propagation of evanescent modes as a quantum effect"
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=71EA4DFAA213DD3DB158976C861E2690.d04t01

If the EM energy propagates at faster-than-light speed, then the photon moves at faster-than-light speed because the photon is the carrier of energy. But in the quantum theory, they say there are no concepts about particle's location and velocity, but just probability, or energy eigen states. How to understand the results reported in the above papers?

OK. If you have access to these papers, then you should also have access to the citation index. You could have done just one simple step further and look at such citation. You would have seen several rebuttals to these papers.

For example, the Phys. Rev. A paper already has several rebuttals disputing its "theoretical evidence". Read, for example, H.G. Winful Phys. Rev. A 76, 057803 (2007).

You also need to realize that "theoretical evidence" really does not have that much of a weight when it is trying to propose something new and has no experimental evidence. After all, the whole of String Theory is nothing but "theoretical evidence".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
OK. If you have access to these papers, then you should also have access to the citation index. You could have done just one simple step further and look at such citation. You would have seen several rebuttals to these papers.

For example, the Phys. Rev. A paper already has several rebuttals disputing its "theoretical evidence". Read, for example, H.G. Winful Phys. Rev. A 76, 057803 (2007).

You also need to realize that "theoretical evidence" really does not have that much of a weight when it is trying to propose something new and has no experimental evidence. After all, the whole of String Theory is nothing but "theoretical evidence".

Zz.

Such experiments for testing EM energy velocity probably are extremely difficult. That is why there are still a lot of disputes about the constency of light speed so far. To tell the truth, I don't understand the details from both sides, and I just have some straightforward judgement based on fundamental principles, but I don't know if it is correct.

Sometime it is hard to say if a theory is correct or not. For example, light particle theory, which first proposed by Newton (although quite different from Einstein's photon), particle-->wave--->photon--->both.

phys12345 said:
Such experiments for testing EM energy velocity probably are extremely difficult. That is why there are still a lot of disputes about the constency of light speed so far. To tell the truth, I don't understand the details from both sides, and I just have some straightforward judgement based on fundamental principles, but I don't know if it is correct.

Sometime it is hard to say if a theory is correct or not. For example, light particle theory, which first proposed by Newton (although quite different from Einstein's photon), particle-->wave--->photon--->both.

There are NO disputes if you base it on what we can experimental measure. As far as I'm concerned, that is the only thing that will determine the validity of anything. Beyond that, what you have are SPECULATIONS. Are there disputes on those speculations? Sure there are! But do not confused those disputes to what we understand right now.

Besides, you should also heed what you wrote. If it is true that it is "sometime hard" to say if a theory is correct, then let's just wait till there ARE valid experimental evidence to support a theory one way or the other. And until there ARE experimental evidence to show otherwise, there are no superluminal energy transfer.

Zz.

The standard model does not allow superluminal energy or information transfer, and no experiment saw a deviation from that. I don't see how a theoretical paper could contribute anything surprising - you can propose thousands of new models with superluminal energy transfer (in violation of the current models of physics), but there is no indication that any of those models would be true.

1. What is superluminality?

Superluminality refers to speeds that exceed the speed of light, which is the maximum speed at which anything can travel according to the theory of relativity.

2. Is superluminality possible?

Based on our current understanding of physics, superluminality is not possible. The theory of relativity states that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel, and this has been supported by numerous experiments and observations.

3. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This includes particles, objects, and even information.

4. How does the concept of superluminality relate to time travel?

The idea of traveling faster than the speed of light is often associated with time travel. However, this is still just a concept and has not been proven to be possible. Additionally, the theory of relativity suggests that time and space are interconnected, so altering one would have consequences for the other.

5. Are there any theories that challenge the idea of superluminality?

There are some theories, such as wormholes and the Alcubierre drive, that propose ways to travel faster than the speed of light. However, these are still just theories and have not been proven to be possible. They also require a significant amount of energy and technology that is currently beyond our capabilities.

Back