A lost world in the Atlantic ocean?

In summary, an ancient landscape was discovered buried beneath the sediment of the North Atlantic Ocean. The landscape was created during the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, a time when large changes in geologic processes occurred.
Andre
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/07/11/lost-world-atlantis-like-landscape-discovered/?test=faces

(Courtesy NileQueen)

..Buried deep beneath the sediment of the North Atlantic Ocean lies an ancient, lost landscape with furrows cut by rivers and peaks that once belonged to mountains. Geologists recently discovered this roughly 56-million-year-old landscape using data gathered for oil companies.
"It looks for all the world like a map of a bit of a country onshore," said Nicky White, the senior researcher. "It is like an ancient fossil landscape preserved 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) beneath the seabed."

...cont'd

It's not the first time to discover land under the ocean, anybody remember the lost city Mega in Cuba? There is another interesting element here, 56 million years. Remember what happened 55 million years ago? Could there be a relation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Anyway that was the Paleocene Eocene Thermal Maximum 55 million years ago, characterized by large changes in geologic processes, especially in the oceans, also with unexplained deposits, like tropical algae and fern remains in the Arctic.

I guess it's a taboo subject but when suddenly http://www.natureasia.com/en/highlights/details.php?id=1340 starts to relate, that would make one wonder about what really happened.

Edit:

Meanwhile I received the paper, here is the abstract

Ross A. Hartley, Gareth G. Roberts, Nicky White, Chris Richardson (2011) Transient convective uplift of an ancient buried landscape DOI: 10.1038/NGEO1191 NATURE GEOSCIENCE, ADVANCE ONLINE PUBLICATION 11 July 2011

Sedimentary basins in the North Atlantic Ocean preserve a record of intermittent uplift during Cenozoic times. These variations in elevation are thought to result from temperature changes within the underlying Icelandic mantle plume

When parts of the European continental shelf were episodically lifted above sea level, new landscapes were carved by erosion, but these landscapes then subsided and were buried
beneath marine sediments

Here, we use three-dimensional seismic data to reconstruct one of these ancient landscapes that formed off the northwest coast of Europe during the Palaeocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum. We identify a drainage network within the landscape and, by modelling the profiles of individual rivers within this network, we reconstruct the history of surface uplift. We show that the landscape was lifted above sea level in a series of three discrete steps of 200–400 m each. After about 1 million years of subaerial exposure, this landscape was reburied. We use the magnitude and duration of uplift to constrain the temperature and velocity of a mantle-plume anomaly that drove landscape formation. We conclude that pulses of hot, chemically depleted, mantle material spread out radially beneath the lithospheric plate at velocities of 35 cm yr-1

Now isn't that interesting and maybe supportive of an old PET(M)-idea here?

Andre said:
It's not the first time to discover land under the ocean, anybody remember the lost city Mega in Cuba?

There were some (that might called suspicious) Russians who produced side-scan sonar images of orthogonal structures on the seafloor off Cuba. I don't know if this has ever been confirmed or resolved. Long ago I read Plato and Donnelly in the hopes something might eventually be discovered. Since then I've come to regard such literature more as cautionary parables.

Andre said:
Now isn't that interesting and maybe supportive of an old PET(M)-idea here?

I'm interested Earth's history and geology, as well as old legends. What old idea did you have in mind?

Respectfully,
Steve

Dotini said:
There were some (that might called suspicious) Russians who produced side-scan sonar images of orthogonal structures on the seafloor off Cuba. I don't know if this has ever been confirmed or resolved. Long ago I read Plato and Donnelly in the hopes something might eventually be discovered. Since then I've come to regard such literature more as cautionary parables.

We had threads about this here (now locked), you can find them searching for 'cuba' and 'mega' using the "search this forum" feature top right in the main page of the Earth forum.

Since nobody has ever exposed anything yet (as far as I know), rather then that there was some confirmation from scientific sides, I don't think there is any reason to add labels like 'suspicious'. Time for the mythbusters to investigate.

I'm interested Earth's history and geology, as well as old legends. What old idea did you have in mind?

You can also find locked threads about that, searching for PETM, the essential thing is thinking about a tectonical cause, rather than a paleoclimatologic one. And obviously this is all about tectonics.

Last edited:
Don't forget 'Doggerland'... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland

Similar factors apply to a lot of the *shallow* continental shelves. But, takes a mantle plume or 'blip' to lift deeper zones to the surface.

Hmm: About 50~~60 mya, the North Atlantic was still opening, and the young, warm sea-bed would have been comparatively buoyant. As it cooled, it would have subsided, taking the adjacent continental margin down again. So, no surprise there, and certainly no Atlanteans...
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/fossils/geol/globe.htm

And of course there is The North Sea, which was dry land less than 10,000 years ago, which yields a lot of megafaunal fossils, but that is not a tectonic issue.

Here is another underwater landscape. Newly discovered volcanoes near Antarctica. Age has not been estimated yet. It is an undersea chain of islands.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110711104755.htm

edit: Doggerland is also North Sea, but I am thinking of the trawlers that go out from Urk and bring back fossils.
I think they trawl the Brown Bank.

Last edited:

1. What is a lost world in the Atlantic Ocean?

A lost world in the Atlantic Ocean refers to a hypothetical landmass or civilization that is believed to have existed in the past but has since been lost or hidden beneath the waters of the Atlantic Ocean.

2. Is there any evidence of a lost world in the Atlantic Ocean?

While there have been many theories and speculations about a lost world in the Atlantic Ocean, there is currently no concrete scientific evidence to support its existence. However, there have been some intriguing discoveries such as ancient ruins, artifacts, and underwater structures that have sparked further interest and research.

3. What could have caused a civilization to be lost in the Atlantic Ocean?

There are various theories about what could have caused a civilization to be lost in the Atlantic Ocean. Some believe it could have been a natural disaster such as a tsunami or a volcanic eruption, while others suggest it could have been due to human-caused events such as wars or climate change.

4. How do scientists study the possibility of a lost world in the Atlantic Ocean?

Scientists use various methods to study the possibility of a lost world in the Atlantic Ocean, such as underwater exploration, satellite imaging, and geological studies. They also analyze any evidence or artifacts that are discovered to gain a better understanding of what may have existed in the past.

5. Could a lost world in the Atlantic Ocean ever be found?

There is always a possibility that a lost world in the Atlantic Ocean could be found in the future, especially with advancements in technology and scientific research. However, it is also important to consider that the ocean is constantly changing, and any potential evidence may have been destroyed or buried over time.