A lot of exercises to understand topics (Math)

In summary, it is good to do as many problems as possible and to focus on increasing your score on exams.
annaphys
Hello,

I have a few free days next week where I want to review the topics from this semester and would like people's opinions on how to go about really getting the most out of my free time. I am currently taking math classes from the math department and am wondering, should I focus on doing as many problems as possible instead of just re-reading the text? Is it in general good practice to do more problems than reading the theory? Of course one needs some theory before tackling problems but I believe one can only understand the theory when one actually tries to solve problems.

But I guess this can also go with physics, should I read the subjects in the book and focus majority of my time on solving problems?

I'd like to hear any personal experiences on how you succeeded in real math courses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solving problems can take you a lot of time, so re-reading the lectures might be more effective.

This was as general as possible. Now come the details which could lead to a different recommendation:
  • Do you study physics or even more important, engineering? In this case you should do as many exercises as possible.
  • Which kind of exams will you face? Learn whatever will increase your score.
  • Are you studying philosophy or are heading towards logic? Learn the theory.
The truth lies probably somewhere in between, i.e. it depends on so much more information to give a good advice than you were sharing with us.

The info given is physics and math. I'm in undergrad so maybe that helps a bit more. My question was more based off the already-given info, that I am taking math courses with math students and wanted to know what worked for others who took such courses.

1. What are the benefits of doing a lot of math exercises?

Doing a lot of math exercises helps improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, strengthens mathematical concepts and principles, and builds confidence in tackling complex math problems.

2. How many exercises should I do to fully understand a math topic?

The number of exercises needed to fully understand a math topic varies depending on the complexity of the topic and the individual's learning pace. It is best to practice until you feel comfortable and confident with the material.

3. How can I make sure I am doing the exercises correctly?

One way to ensure you are doing the exercises correctly is to check your answers against the provided solutions or ask for feedback from a teacher or tutor. It is also helpful to review and understand any mistakes made.

4. Is it necessary to do a lot of exercises if I am already good at math?

Even if you are already good at math, doing a lot of exercises can help reinforce your knowledge and improve your speed and accuracy. It can also introduce you to new and challenging problems that can further enhance your skills.

5. How often should I do math exercises to see improvement?

The frequency of doing math exercises depends on personal preference and schedule. However, it is recommended to practice regularly, at least a few times a week, to see improvement and retain the learned material.