A man standing x ft. from a light pole, length of man's shadow?

In summary, we can express the length of the man's shadow L as a function of x by setting up a proportion between the larger triangle (with base L+x and height 15 ft.) and the smaller triangle (with base L and height 6 ft.). Solving for L gives us L(x)=(2/3)x, and the book's solution of L(x)=(3/2)x appears to be a typo.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

A man 6ft. tall is standing x ft. from a light pole 15 ft. high. Express the length of the man's shadow L as a function of x.

Homework Equations

Pre-Calc.
NO TRIG

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the man's shadow creates another like triangle within in the larger one. The base of the large triangle is L + x and the height is 15 ft.
The base of the small triangle is L and the height 6 ft.

I set 15/(L+x) = (6/L) and solved for L. My solution was L(x)=(2/3)x, however, the book says it's L(x)=(3/2)x. Is it a typo or am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

A man 6ft. tall is standing x ft. from a light pole 15 ft. high. Express the length of the man's shadow L as a function of x.

Homework Equations

Pre-Calc.
NO TRIG

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the man's shadow creates another like triangle within in the larger one. The base of the large triangle is L + x and the height is 15 ft.

I set 15/(L+x) = (6/L) and solved for L. My solution was L(x)=(2/3)x, however, the book says it's L(x)=(3/2)x. Is it a typo or am I doing something wrong?

Your process is correct and your answer is correct

Feodalherren said:

Looks fine to me. The book's solution is a typo.

EDIT: Oops, beaten to it by phinds. :wink:

Thanks guys.

1. How can the length of a man's shadow be calculated?

The length of a man's shadow can be calculated by using the formula: (length of man's shadow) = (distance from man to light pole) x (height of light pole) / (height of man)

2. Does the length of the man's shadow change when he moves closer or further away from the light pole?

Yes, the length of the man's shadow will change as he moves closer or further away from the light pole. The length of the shadow is directly proportional to the distance between the man and the light pole.

3. How does the height of the light pole affect the length of the man's shadow?

The height of the light pole directly affects the length of the man's shadow. A taller light pole will create a longer shadow, while a shorter light pole will create a shorter shadow.

4. Can the length of the man's shadow be longer than his height?

Yes, it is possible for the length of the man's shadow to be longer than his height. This can happen if the man is standing very close to a tall light pole, or if the sun is low on the horizon and creates a long shadow.

5. How does the angle of the sun affect the length of the man's shadow?

The angle of the sun affects the length of the man's shadow. When the sun is lower on the horizon, it creates a longer shadow, while when the sun is higher in the sky, it creates a shorter shadow.