Relation between vector length and direction ratios

In summary, the direction cosines of a vector r with length 21 and direction ratios 2,-3,6 are given by l=-2/7, m=3/7, n=-6/7. The length of 21 is not relevant for finding the direction cosines in this case.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A vector r has length 21 and direction ratio's 2,-3,6. The direction cosines of r, given that r makes an obtuse angle with x-axis is given by?

Homework Equations

l/a = m/b =n/c ...(1) (l,m,n are direction cosines, a,b,c are direction ratios
l^2 + m^2 + n^2=1...(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

putting values in (1) gives us l/2 = m/-3 = n/6, using 2 we get modulus of l=2/7. Since the angle is obtuse l will be negative = -2/7 and therefore m and n are equal to 3/7 and -6/7 which is correct- Why is the information that r has length 21 given then? and how does our answer match with the length being 21?

Physics news on Phys.org
If all you want is the direction cosines, the length is indeed irrelevant.

I can't see that the length is relevant to the problem. Sometimes problem statements have extraneous information.

EDIT: I see that LCKurtz beat me to it.

LCKurtz said:
If all you want is the direction cosines, the length is indeed irrelevant.
phinds said:
I can't see that the length is relevant to the problem. Sometimes problem statements have extraneous information.

EDIT: I see that LCKurtz beat me to it.
Thank you very much for your help :D

1. What is the significance of vector length and direction ratios in physics?

The length of a vector represents its magnitude or size, while the direction ratios indicate the direction in which the vector is pointing. In physics, vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as force and velocity, and their length and direction ratios help in understanding and calculating these quantities.

2. How are vector length and direction ratios related?

The length of a vector is directly related to its direction ratios. This means that changing the direction ratios of a vector will also change its length. However, the direction ratios themselves do not affect the direction of the vector, only its length.

3. Can a vector have a negative length or direction ratios?

No, a vector cannot have a negative length or direction ratios. Vectors are represented by arrows, and their length is always positive. The direction ratios may be negative, but this only indicates the direction in which the vector is pointing, not its actual length.

4. How does changing the direction of a vector affect its length?

Changing the direction of a vector does not affect its length, unless the direction is completely opposite. In this case, the length of the vector will become negative, which is not a valid representation of a vector. Otherwise, the length of the vector remains the same regardless of its direction.

5. What is the relationship between vector length and direction ratios in 3-dimensional space?

In 3-dimensional space, the length of a vector is related to its direction ratios through the Pythagorean theorem. This means that the length of the vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its direction ratios. In other words, the length of a 3-dimensional vector can be calculated using its direction ratios.