A manometer measures mechanical or thermodynamic pressure?

In summary, thermodynamic pressure is defined as the force per unit area exerted by a substance in thermodynamic equilibrium on the boundary interface with another substance. A flowing substance does not have a precisely defined thermodynamic pressure. A manometer measures the difference between the mechanical pressure and the ambient pressure, and if the substance is not flowing, it will measure the difference between thermodynamic pressure and ambient pressure.
nanunath
Hi guys,
I have two questions as follows, ofcourse they may seem too basic, I have read through certain texts (engineering) but I still haven't been able to actually physically understand, so asked here
1) Whats thermodynamic pressure w.r.t physical point of view? - for a gas from thermodynamics I know its the force per unit area that an imaginary small face would experience at a point in the gas
Is this valid for the thermodynamic pressure at a point in a fluid (not necessarily gas)?
2) Which pressure does a manometer / or any pressure sensor measure? I'm know that thermodynamic pressure = mechanical pressure for in compressible flow or stokian fluid, but that's not my question. I want to know which is actually the pressure that my manometer is measuring - thermodynamic or mechanical pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
nanunath said:
Hi guys,
I have two questions as follows, ofcourse they may seem too basic, I have read through certain texts (engineering) but I still haven't been able to actually physically understand, so asked here
1) Whats thermodynamic pressure w.r.t physical point of view? - for a gas from thermodynamics I know its the force per unit area that an imaginary small face would experience at a point in the gas
Is this valid for the thermodynamic pressure at a point in a fluid (not necessarily gas)?
Thermodynamic pressure is defined for a substance that is in thermodynamic equilibrium. It is the force per unit area exerted by such a substance on the boundary interface with another substance (eg. the walls of a container) that mechanically contains the substance. A substance that is not in thermodynamic equilibrium (eg. a flowing substance) exerts a mechanical pressure (on the pipe walls, for example) but does not have a precisely defined thermodynamic pressure.
2) Which pressure does a manometer / or any pressure sensor measure? I'm know that thermodynamic pressure = mechanical pressure for in compressible flow or stokian fluid, but that's not my question. I want to know which is actually the pressure that my manometer is measuring - thermodynamic or mechanical pressure?
The manometer measures the difference between the mechanical pressure exerted by a substance on the container walls and the ambient (e.g. atmospheric) pressure. If the substance is in thermodynamic equilibrium (not flowing) it measures the difference between thermodynamic pressure and ambient pressure.

AM

1. What is a manometer?

A manometer is a scientific instrument used to measure mechanical or thermodynamic pressure. It consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, such as mercury or water, and is typically used to measure gas pressure.

2. How does a manometer work?

A manometer works by using the principle of hydrostatic pressure. The pressure of the gas being measured causes the liquid in one side of the tube to rise, while the other side remains at a constant level. The difference in the liquid levels can then be used to calculate the pressure of the gas.

3. What are the different types of manometers?

There are several types of manometers, including the simple U-tube manometer, the well-type manometer, and the inclined-tube manometer. Each type has its own advantages and is used for different types of pressure measurements.

4. What are the units of measurement for a manometer?

The units of measurement for a manometer depend on the type of pressure being measured. For mechanical pressure, the units are typically in pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2). For thermodynamic pressure, the units are usually in pascals (Pa) or atmospheres (atm).

5. What are the common uses for a manometer?

Some common uses for a manometer include measuring the pressure of gas in a closed system, monitoring the pressure in pipes or tanks, and checking the performance of engines or turbines. It is also commonly used in industries such as HVAC, automotive, and aerospace for various pressure measurement needs.