How pressure is measured using a manometer

In summary, the pressure at points at the same height in a liquid are not necessarily equal due to the forces acting on the liquid, specifically the weight of the liquid and the air pressure. This can be explained by considering forces and free-body diagrams.
sluo
Hello. I'm reading a physics book on my own and am learning about pressure measurements. I have a question with how pressure is measured using a manometer. Here is a link talking about it:

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/PVB/Harrison/Manometer/Manometer.html

My question is, why do points at the same height necessarily have the same pressure (as in Cases 2 and 3)? If the liquid is in equilibrium, why can't we say that the pressure at any point in the liquid is equal to the pressure at any other point?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sluo said:
Hello. I'm reading a physics book on my own and am learning about pressure measurements. I have a question with how pressure is measured using a manometer. Here is a link talking about it:

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/PVB/Harrison/Manometer/Manometer.html

My question is, why do points at the same height necessarily have the same pressure (as in Cases 2 and 3)? If the liquid is in equilibrium, why can't we say that the pressure at any point in the liquid is equal to the pressure at any other point?

Thanks!
It can be explained by thinking about forces and free-body diagrams.

From your link:
Fig2.png
Consider the water lying between the dashed lines on the right. It has three forces acting on it:

1. Force due to air pressure at A, acting downward
2. Force due to water pressure at B, acting upward
3. Weight, acting downward

Since this water does not move, it must have zero net force acting on it. Because there is a gravitational force acting on it, the pressures at A and B cannot be equal.

1. How does a manometer measure pressure?

A manometer measures pressure by balancing the pressure exerted by a fluid (usually a liquid) with the pressure exerted by a gas. The liquid in the manometer will rise or fall depending on the difference in pressure between the two sides, allowing for a measurement to be taken.

2. What are the units of measurement used in a manometer?

The units of measurement used in a manometer can vary depending on the type of manometer being used. Common units include inches of water, millimeters of mercury, and pascals. It is important to check the specific units being used in each individual manometer to ensure accurate readings.

3. How accurate is a manometer in measuring pressure?

The accuracy of a manometer in measuring pressure will depend on various factors such as the type of manometer, the quality of the liquid used, and the precision of the measurement markings. Generally, most manometers have an accuracy of around 1-2%.

4. Can a manometer measure both positive and negative pressure?

Yes, a manometer can measure both positive and negative pressure. The direction of the pressure will be indicated by the direction in which the liquid moves in the manometer. For example, if the liquid rises on one side and falls on the other, it indicates a positive pressure difference. If the liquid falls on one side and rises on the other, it indicates a negative pressure difference.

5. Is there a limit to the pressure that can be measured with a manometer?

Yes, there is a limit to the pressure that can be measured with a manometer. This limit will depend on the type and design of the manometer, as well as the liquid used. Generally, manometers are most accurate and reliable within a certain range of pressures, and may not be suitable for measuring extremely high or low pressures.