A Marble Rolls Around a Circular Cone - Diagram

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the normal force using the letter B, but was incorrect. They then used Fnet = ma to find the direction of the acceleration, which pointed in the center of a circle.
tg22542

Homework Statement

http://gyazo.com/fa8026ffdf2ccb97d0b09b9e74460455

Homework Equations

Fnet=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that the letter B was the normal force which I derived from just drawing an FBD of the ball on the left side of the code

For acceleration I used Fnet=mg so the Fnet was gravity, so from there I said that the letter representing normal force was pointing in the same way of fnet, being letter E..

It was wrong. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
OK for the normal force direction.

For the direction of the acceleration, you should be able to see what it is without worrying about the forces. Use what you know about the acceleration of a particle moving in a circle with constant speed.

[Although you don't need it for this question, the correct formula is Fnet = ma, not Fnet = mg. The acceleration of the particle is not g for this problem. Fnet is the vector sum of all of the forces acting on the particle.]

So my answer would be that the acceleration is pointing towards the center of the circle. But that could be C, K, or S. How would I answer this? It has to be one of those but I don't know which.

The question says to pick answers for the acceleration from the choices Q through X.

I just attempted BS and was incorrect

Ah. I see an extra thing you have to consider. Sorry, I didn't see that before. Note that the question asks for you to pick the normal force from the choices A-X. Now B, J and R all have the same direction. But they have different magnitudes. So, you will now have to decide which of those has the correct magnitude. For this you will need to use Fnet = ma.

[HINT: Consider the y-components: ƩFy = may ]

Last edited:

What is the purpose of the "A Marble Rolls Around a Circular Cone - Diagram"?

The purpose of this diagram is to illustrate the motion of a marble as it rolls around a circular cone. It helps to visualize the relationship between the shape of the cone and the path of the rolling marble.

How does the shape of the cone affect the motion of the marble?

The shape of the cone determines the direction and speed of the marble's motion. As the marble rolls down the curved surface of the cone, its velocity changes due to gravity and the changing slope of the cone. The narrower the cone, the faster the marble will roll.

What forces are acting on the marble as it rolls around the cone?

The main force acting on the marble is gravity, which pulls it towards the center of the cone. Additionally, there is a normal force exerted by the cone on the marble, which keeps it from falling off the surface.

Is there any point where the marble will stop rolling?

Yes, there is a point at the apex of the cone where the marble will come to a complete stop. This is because the slope of the cone is zero at the apex, and there is no longer a force acting on the marble to keep it in motion.

How does the height of the cone affect the motion of the marble?

The height of the cone affects the speed of the marble. The taller the cone, the longer the distance the marble has to travel, resulting in a longer time to complete one revolution. This means that the marble will roll slower on a taller cone compared to a shorter one.