A mass m slides in a moving reference frame

In summary, the problem involves an inclined plane inside an elevator where a mass slides without friction. The question asks for the acceleration of the mass relative to the plane when the elevator accelerates upward at 0.50 g. The effective value of acceleration due to gravity is introduced and is defined as g+a. This is used in the solution where the acceleration of the mass relative to the plane is calculated using the formula g_e sin theta, with g_e being equal to g+a. The effective acceleration is used to account for the upward acceleration of the elevator.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

An inclined plane, fixed to the inside of an elevator, makes a ## 32 ^\circ ## degree angle with the floor. A mass m slides on the plane without friction. What is its acceleration relative to the plane if the elevator accelerates upward at 0.50 g?

Homework Equations

The effective value of acceleration due to gravity ##g_e = g + a_e ## The e on the left stands for effective while the one on the right represents the elevator.
Relative acceleration = ## g_e sin \theta ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that ## a_r ## is the force of gravity along the incline plane and I understand how to derive it. However
my textbook never taught me the "effective value of acceleration" but it uses it to solve the problem. How can acceleration be "effective"? When is this equation used? How do I derive it?

Going back to the original question, my solution guide states that I should plug in
##g_e = g + 0.5g = 1.5g ##
Then put the answer here ##a_r = g_e sin \theta = 1.5gsin(32 ^\circ ) ## Why is it addition if a and g are in opposite directions?

Thank you (The main question I want answered is highlighted in RED)

Physics news on Phys.org
Effective value of g in general is g-a not g+a and the sign is important.
Example, if a ball is hanging on a thread in an elevator and the elevator falls down with acceleration a, then w=-g-(-a)=0, since both g and a are in -j direction.

G effective is just the acceleration of a body with respect to a non inertial frame.

The two accelerations are not both happening. g is the acceleration that would happen were there no upward force to oppose it. a is the acceleration that is happening because the upward force exceeds what would be necessary to prevent the downward acceleration. So the upward force is related to the sum of the two.
The sign of g can be confusing, though. My preference is to say the acceleration due to gravity is g, regardless of the sign convention adopted for the vertical axis. If up is positive then the value of g is negative. But it may be more common to keep the value of g as positive and write -g in the equation.

I am trying to understand this problem as well.

So the block acceleration and elevator add?

The relatI've acceleration equation is a vector equation. Is it not? So the -j component for the block would be the W*sin (theta) as the OP stated and then of course would have the acceleration of the elevator acting in the -j direction as well. My bad... I reread OP's problem statement...

Calpalned,
A common way to arrive at an “effective g” in the elevator is to start with the idea that the acceleration of the block relative to the Earth (##\vec{a}##) equals the acceleration of the block relative to the elevator (##\vec{a}\:'##) plus the acceleration of the elevator relative to the Earth (##\vec{a}_e##): $$\vec{a} = \vec{a}\:’+ \vec{a}_e$$
In the reference frame of the earth, Newton’s second law applied to the block on the incline is $$\vec{N} + m\vec{g} = m\vec{a}$$ where ##\vec{N}## is the normal force.

Substitute for ##\vec{a}## using the relative acceleration formula. Show that you can rearrange terms to get $$\vec{N} + m( \vec{g} - \vec{a}_e) = m\vec{a}\:’$$ If you define an effective g as $$\vec{g}_{eff} = \vec{g}-\vec{a}_e$$ then you can see that the acceleration of the block relative to the elevator satisfies the second law in the form$$\vec{N} + m\vec{g}_{eff} = m\vec{a}\:’$$
Hope this helps.

1. What is a reference frame?

A reference frame is a set of axes used to describe the position and motion of an object. It is a point of view from which observations can be made.

2. How does the mass affect the motion of the object?

The mass of an object determines the amount of inertia it has, which is its resistance to changes in motion. In this scenario, the mass of the object will affect how it slides in the moving reference frame.

3. What is the difference between a moving reference frame and a stationary reference frame?

In a moving reference frame, the axes are in motion relative to the object being observed. In a stationary reference frame, the axes are fixed and do not move with the object.

4. How does the motion of the reference frame affect the motion of the object?

The motion of the reference frame can affect the motion of the object in different ways. If the reference frame is moving at a constant velocity, the object will appear to be moving at the same velocity in the opposite direction. If the reference frame is accelerating, the motion of the object will be affected by the acceleration of the reference frame.

5. How does friction play a role in a mass sliding in a moving reference frame?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. In this scenario, the friction between the object and the surface it is sliding on will affect how it moves in the moving reference frame. The magnitude and direction of the friction force will depend on the mass of the object, the coefficient of friction, and the motion of the reference frame.