A math problem related to circles

• Thread starter STEM_nerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary: Not me though, I couldn't understand what it means by "change". My first thought was "How does it start and how does it change ", "before or after the inscribe"
STEM_nerd
New user has been reminded to post schoolwork problems in the Homework Help forums
Summary:: If a circle can be inscribed in a parallelogram how will the parallelogram change? Explain.

It is a 10th grade math question in case you want to know.

Physics news on Phys.org
STEM_nerd said:
Summary:: If a circle can be inscribed in a parallelogram how will the parallelogram change? Explain.
The question is unclear. In order for the parallelogram to "change", it would need to have some original shape. No original shape is mentioned in the question.

What does it mean to inscribe a circle in a shape like a parallogram?

Since this is a homework like problem, we can't simply answer it but can only provide hints to help you solve. My question is your first hint.

Likes STEM_nerd
jedishrfu said:
What does it mean to inscribe a circle in a shape like a parallogram?

Since this is a homework like problem, we can't simply answer it but can only provide hints to help you solve. My question is your first hint.

I got the answer now! It will become a rhombus.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Stephen Tashi said:
The question is unclear. In order for the parallelogram to "change", it would need to have some original shape. No original shape is mentioned in the question.

The question here refers to the classic parallelogram which has equal opposite angles and equal opposite and parallel sides. It doesn't mean special parallelograms like square, rectangle, rhombus and kite.

Likes jedishrfu
STEM_nerd said:
If a circle can be inscribed in a parallelogram how will the parallelogram change? Explain.
This problem makes no sense, as written. And the solution you gave, that it will become a rhombus, also makes no sense.
I suspect that there is additional information that hasn't been presented here.

Likes Delta2, Vanadium 50 and Keith_McClary
Mark44 said:
This problem makes no sense, as written. And the solution you gave, that it will become a rhombus, also makes no sense.
I suspect that there is additional information that hasn't been presented here.
There is no additional information given. The only additional thing is the diagram. That's all that's given in the question bank.
My solution that it's a rhombus definitely makes a lot of sense.
Here's the proof that I came up with.
Screenshot_20201105_083803.png

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller and Delta2
Here's the original wording:
STEM_nerd said:
If a circle can be inscribed in a parallelogram how will the parallelogram change?
Your solution looks fine to me, but the wording above suggests that the parallelogram will be undergoing some change, and that's what threw me and several others off.
A better wording for the problem might be:
"If a circle can be inscribed in a parallelogram, what conditions does this fact impose on the parallelogram?"

Likes Delta2 and DaveC426913
Mark44 said:
Here's the original wording:

Your solution looks fine to me, but the wording above suggests that the parallelogram will be undergoing some change, and that's what threw me and several others off.
A better wording for the problem might be:
"If a circle can be inscribed in a parallelogram, what conditions does this fact impose on the parallelogram?"
Your confusion is understandable. But that's exactly what was written in the question. It threw me off at first too. And thank you for suggesting a better wording for the question.

STEM_nerd said:
Your confusion is understandable. But that's exactly what was written in the question. It threw me off at first too. And thank you for suggesting a better wording for the question.
That's funny. The first thing I thought of is that it has to be a rhombus.

Likes STEM_nerd
Chestermiller said:
That's funny. The first thing I thought of is that it has to be a rhombus.
Not me though, I couldn't understand what it means by "change". My first thought was "How does it start and how does it change ", "before or after the inscribe"

Likes STEM_nerd
Maybe it's “how would your word for it change?"

1. What is the formula for finding the circumference of a circle?

The formula for finding the circumference of a circle is C = 2πr, where r is the radius of the circle and π is approximately 3.14.

2. How do you find the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the circle and π is approximately 3.14.

3. Can you explain the relationship between the circumference and diameter of a circle?

The circumference of a circle is directly proportional to its diameter. This means that as the diameter increases, the circumference also increases in proportion. The ratio of the circumference to the diameter is always constant, which is represented by the mathematical constant π (pi).

4. How do you find the radius of a circle if you know the circumference?

The formula for finding the radius of a circle if you know the circumference is r = C/2π, where C is the circumference and π is approximately 3.14.

5. How do you find the diameter of a circle if you know the area?

The formula for finding the diameter of a circle if you know the area is d = √(4A/π), where A is the area and π is approximately 3.14.