A Matter of Wheels and Trains and The Spin of the Earth?

In summary, the train traveling against the spin of the earth will wear out its wheels more quickly due to the fact that it is moving against the direction of the Earth's rotation and therefore requires a greater centripetal force, leading to more wear on the wheels. The concept of centrifugal force is often misused in this question and it is important to have a clear understanding of physics and friction in order to solve it correctly. Both trains will encounter the same amount of air resistance, so any difference in wear can only be attributed to the difference in centripetal force required for circumnavigation.
modulus
A Matter of Wheels and Trains and The Spin of the Earth..!?

This question actually comes from a book of mathematical puzzles. The particular question I'm going to state, uses the concept of centrifugal force. And though I'm pretty sure a good mathematician should have a clear understanding of physics, I have a feeling, that the concept of centrifugal force has been misused in this question.

Homework Statement

Question:Two identical trains, at the equator start traveling round the world in opposite directions. They start ogether, run at the same speed and are on different tracks. Which train will wear out its wheel treads first?

The Given Answer:Naturally, the train traveling against the spin of the earth. This train will wear out its wheels more quickly becausethe centrifugal force is less on this train.

Homework Equations

I don't think we really need any equations. Just a clear conceptual knowledge of centrifugal forces and friction. This may possibly help:

f = neta*mu

Here, 'neta' is the normal force and should be equal to the train's weight minus the so-called 'centrifugal force'.

The Attempt at a Solution

After reading the question, and some thinking, I figured out it had to do with the spin of the Earth. But the 'centrifugal force' thing really didn't hit me.
My solution was based on the idea that the wheels of any train will try to push the ground in the direction opposite to that in which the train is moving. So, the spin of the Earth is beneficial for the train moving opposite to that spin, because the Earth moves in the direction the wheels try to push it in.
As for the train moving with the Earth's spin, the Earth moves in the direction against which the wheels push it in, so the Earth provides it with a good amount of resistance (friction), and thus, this train's wheels should wwear out first.

But the answer says, the train moving against should wear out first, because it has less centrifugal force on it...?? How does that make sense? They use the word 'centrifugal force' so liberally...as if it's a by-product of circular motion! I thought centrifugal force was a pseudo force?

The questions I want to ask here are:
1. Should the directions of the trains have any effect on the way centrifugal force acts on them (because as far as the direction of this force is concerned, it's just either radially inward or radially outward, right)?
2. If the weight of the trains are the centripetal force in this case, why don't they move in circles the whole time? Because, if the triains exist, they have weight, and that weight acts radially inward. So...that weight can always act as a centripetal force. Basically what I'm saying is, how do we attribute circular motion to only a force which acts along the radius of the circle, why not on the circumference?
3. And finally, which answer is correct? Mine or the book's...or neither?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

modulus said:

Homework Statement

Question:Two identical trains, at the equator start traveling round the world in opposite directions. They start ogether, run at the same speed and are on different tracks. Which train will wear out its wheel treads first?

My solution was based on the idea that the wheels of any train will try to push the ground in the direction opposite to that in which the train is moving.

Well, the trains do need to overcome air resistance, so they need traction. The thing is, since the velocity with respect to the Earth is the same in both directions, the two trains are dealing with the same amount of air resistence. So any difference in wear cannot be attributed to difference in encountered air resistence.

An object that is co-rotating with the Earth, at the equator, is moving with a velocity of about 1700 km/h. (about 465 meters per second). The amount of centripetal force that is required for that circumnavigation is just a fraction of the Earth's gravity: about 0.3 percent.

The fastest trains today are maglev trains, that have the capacity for traveling at 500 km/h.

As seen from the north pole the Earth is rotating counterclockwise.
- A train traveling with a velocity of 500 km/h westward, with respect to the Earth, is circumnavigating the Earth's axis counterclockwise, with a velocity of about 1200 km/h
- A train traveling with a velocity of 500 km/h eastward, with respect to the Earth, is circumnavigating the Earth's axis counterclockwise, with a velocity of about 2200 km/h

My ball park estimate is that the for the westward moving train the required centripetal force is 0.2 percent of the Earth's gravity, and that for the eastward moving train the required centripetal force is 0.4 percent of the Earth's gravity.

1. What is the connection between wheels, trains, and the spin of the Earth?

The spin of the Earth plays a crucial role in the movement of wheels and trains. The Earth's rotation creates a force known as the Coriolis effect, which causes objects moving on the surface of the Earth to be deflected to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern hemisphere. This effect is particularly important for trains, as it helps to keep them on their tracks.

2. How does the spin of the Earth affect the speed of trains?

The spin of the Earth can affect the speed of trains in two ways. Firstly, the Coriolis effect can cause trains to experience a slight lateral force, which can slightly increase or decrease their speed. Secondly, the Earth's rotation also affects the speed of the wind, which can create additional resistance for trains to overcome.

3. Is the spin of the Earth the only factor that affects the movement of wheels and trains?

No, there are other factors that can also affect the movement of wheels and trains. These include the slope of the track, the weight and design of the train, and external forces such as wind and friction. However, the spin of the Earth is an important factor that cannot be ignored.

4. Can the spin of the Earth impact the design of trains?

Yes, the spin of the Earth is taken into consideration in the design of trains, especially for high-speed trains. Engineers must account for the Coriolis effect and other factors influenced by the Earth's rotation to ensure safe and efficient movement of trains.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the relationship between wheels, trains, and the spin of the Earth?

Yes, understanding this relationship is crucial for the development and operation of trains. It can also have practical applications in other areas such as navigation and aviation, where the Coriolis effect must be considered for accurate movement and direction. Additionally, studying the spin of the Earth can help us better understand the dynamics of our planet and its impact on our daily lives.