A monatomic gas is adiabatically compressed

In summary: DIn summary, a conversation about using formulas and equations to solve a physics problem regarding adiabatic compression was discussed. The adiabatic condition PV^{\gamma} = constant was used to determine the change in temperature and vrms after compression. The internal energy increased by a factor of 4 and the vrms increased by a factor of 2. The specific heat Cv remained constant and the mean free path was the same as the volume percentage reduced. The conversation ended with the person expressing success in solving the problem.
vorcil
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1122/masteringphysicsscreens.jpg

p = ((1/3)*(N/V))*mv^2

vrms = squareroot ((3p)/(N/v))

i tried substituting .125 into the equation to get some numbers, didn't get anything useful

can someone show me the formulas that i have to use, and how to use them? or explain how to solve this problem

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

vorcil said:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1122/masteringphysicsscreens.jpg

p = ((1/3)*(N/V))*mv^2

vrms = squareroot ((3p)/(N/v))

i tried substituting .125 into the equation to get some numbers, didn't get anything useful

can someone show me the formulas that i have to use, and how to use them? or explain how to solve this problem

If the question called for an actual calculation (I am not sure it does), you would use the adiabatic condition :

[tex]PV^{\gamma} = constant[/tex] or:

[tex]TV^{\gamma -1} = constant[/tex]

In other words, these quantities remain unchanged in an adiabatic process.

Since work is done on the gas, what can you say about the temperature after adiabatic compression (apply first law)? How does vrms relate to temperature?

Would the specific heat Cv change? (remember, the gas is ideal).

What does the mean free path mean? How would it change with reduced volume?

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew Mason said:
If the question called for an actual calculation (I am not sure it does), you would use the adiabatic condition :

[tex]PV^{\gamma} = constant[/tex] or:

[tex]TV^{\gamma -1} = constant[/tex]

In other words, these quantities remain unchanged in an adiabatic process.

Since work is done on the gas, what can you say about the temperature after adiabatic compression (apply first law)? How does vrms relate to temperature?

What does the mean free path mean? How would it change with reduced volume?

AM

since those values were constant and work is done on the gas, i would expect the temperature to decrease as the volume of the gas decreases to keep the thermal energy constant,

if the temperature decreases, i don't think anything happens to the vrms of the gas, because i looked through the book at the vRms of a gas section and the formulas have nothing to do with temperature (though I'm sure they do)

hangon i'll just google it

ok i found in my book

P = f/a
= 1/3 * N/V * MVrms squared

n/v = p / boltzmanC * temperature

so the volume is inversely proportional to temperature as was my guess, if volume decreases the temperature increases

Andrew Mason said:
If the question called for an actual calculation (I am not

AM

they are constant?

vorcil said:
ok i found in my book

P = f/a
= 1/3 * N/V * MVrms squared

n/v = p / boltzmanC * temperature

so the volume is inversely proportional to temperature as was my guess, if volume decreases the temperature increases

oh that was the volume not vrms

i found the equation 1/2m * vrms^2 = 3/2 kb t

which means the average root mean square velocity is directly proportional to temperature

3/2 T with kb being boltz's constant, if it decreases, the velocity decreases aswell

bah i failed this question and only got two of the awnsers right

i knew that the heat specific ratio was constant so it was 1,

i got for the first question 2.07 instead of 2.00 and because it's mastering physics i failed that question
i got that from ln(1/.125) for an adiabatic process

the other two awnser for B and C
were lavender = .125 (not sure why the mean free path was the same as the volume percentage it was reduced too
and C was 4,

no idea how the first three awnsers came around for
part a b and c

could someone please show the maths behind it, and the way to those awnsers? I've already finished the question so i just need someone to explain it without asking a question ^ ^

vorcil said:
bah i failed this question and only got two of the awnsers right

i knew that the heat specific ratio was constant so it was 1,

i got for the first question 2.07 instead of 2.00 and because it's mastering physics i failed that question
i got that from ln(1/.125) for an adiabatic process

the other two awnser for B and C
were lavender = .125 (not sure why the mean free path was the same as the volume percentage it was reduced too
and C was 4,

no idea how the first three awnsers came around for
part a b and c

could someone please show the maths behind it, and the way to those awnsers? I've already finished the question so i just need someone to explain it without asking a question ^ ^

Since [itex]TV^{\gamma - 1}[/itex] does not change:

[tex]T_fV_f^{\gamma-1} = T_iV_i^{\gamma-1}[/tex]

So:

[tex]\frac{T_f}{T_i} = \frac{V_i^{\gamma-1}}{V_f^{\gamma-1}}[/tex]

since Vi/Vf = 8 and [itex]\gamma = 5/3[/itex]:

[tex]\frac{T_f}{T_i} = 8^{2/3} = 4[/tex]

So the internal energy increases by a factor of 4 and since [itex]v_{rms}^2 \propto T[/itex], the vrms increases by a factor of 2.

[tex]v_{rms-f} = 2v_{rms-i}[/tex]

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Since [itex]TV^{\gamma - 1}[/itex] does not change:

[tex]T_fV_f^{\gamma-1} = T_iV_i^{\gamma-1}[/tex]

So:

[tex]\frac{T_f}{T_i} = \frac{V_i^{\gamma-1}}{V_f^{\gamma-1}}[/tex]

since Vi/Vf = 8 and [itex]\gamma = 5/3[/itex]:

[tex]\frac{T_f}{T_i} = 8^{2/3} = 4[/tex]

So the internal energy increases by a factor of 4 and since [itex]v_{rms}^2 \propto T[/itex], the vrms increases by a factor of 2.

[tex]v_{rms-f} = 2v_{rms-i}[/tex]

AM

Thanks, i actually figured it out in the end by myself :) Almost exactly the same way as you did XD
cheers

Related to A monatomic gas is adiabatically compressed

1. What is a monatomic gas?

A monatomic gas is a gas composed of single atoms, such as helium, neon, or argon. These atoms do not form molecules and therefore do not have any internal energy associated with molecular vibrations or rotations.

2. What does it mean for a gas to be adiabatically compressed?

Adiabatic compression refers to the process of compressing a gas without any heat transfer occurring. This means that the system is thermally isolated and no energy is added or removed from the gas during the compression process.

3. What happens to the temperature of a monatomic gas when it is adiabatically compressed?

When a monatomic gas is adiabatically compressed, the temperature of the gas increases. This is because the compression process causes the gas molecules to collide more frequently and with greater force, leading to an increase in kinetic energy and therefore temperature.

4. How does adiabatic compression affect the pressure and volume of a monatomic gas?

During adiabatic compression, the pressure of the gas increases due to the increase in the number of collisions between gas molecules and the walls of the container. The volume of the gas decreases as it is compressed, but the relationship between pressure and volume is not linear and is dependent on the specific gas and compression process.

5. What is the relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume in an adiabatic compression of a monatomic gas?

In an adiabatic compression of a monatomic gas, the relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume can be described by the adiabatic equation: P^γ * V^γ = constant, where P is pressure, V is volume, and γ is the heat capacity ratio of the gas. This equation shows that as the volume decreases due to compression, the pressure and temperature of the gas will increase.