A Mystery re Fluorescent Lights

In summary, the flickering of the fluorescent lights in F1 may be due to a deteriorated emission filament in the aging light fixture.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member

I have a fixture F1 from the 1960s with two 2' fluorescent lights B1 and B2. Recently they both began to flicker. A second fixture F2 has a single 2' light B3 which did not flicker.

In F2 I replaced B3 with B1. It did not flicker. I then replaced in F2 B1 with B2. It did flicker. I then in F1, put in B1 and B3. There was no flicker.

The Mystery: Apparently in F1 the bad bulb B2 not only flickered itself, it also caused the good F1 to flicker.
Has anyone an solution explaining this mystery?

Physics news on Phys.org
Possibly caused by a life expired starter . Try putting a new one in .

Likes Buzz Bloom and russ_watters
The tube prone to flickering is getting on in years, is it? Near the ends of the glass is getting dark?

Could you notice whether the flickering pair were flickering in phase—or exactly in antiphase?

Buzz Bloom said:

I have a fixture F1 from the 1960s with two 2' fluorescent lights B1 and B2. Recently they both began to flicker. A second fixture F2 has a single 2' light B3 which did not flicker.

In F2 I replaced B3 with B1. It did not flicker. I then replaced in F2 B1 with B2. It did flicker. I then in F1, put in B1 and B3. There was no flicker.

The Mystery: Apparently in F1 the bad bulb B2 not only flickered itself, it also caused the good F1 to flicker.
Has anyone an solution explaining this mystery?
Yes, this is common.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Hi NO:
Thanks for your questions.
NascentOxygen said:
The tube prone to flickering is getting on in years, is it?
Yes.
NascentOxygen said:
Near the ends of the glass is getting dark?
Yes.
NascentOxygen said:
Could you notice whether the flickering pair were flickering in phase—or exactly in antiphase?
The flickering was too fast to distinguish the relative phase.

Regards,
Buzz

The flickering is half your line frequency?

I think the origin lies in the deteriorating emission of one of the aging filaments. When it goes positive it needs to overcome a higher voltage to achieve conduction so ends up conducting less strongly or for less of its half-cycle making the light output lower on that polarity half-cycle. The darkening areas on the glass—that's metal that has evaporated off the electrodes.

You could probably fashion a simple stroboscope to determine whether the companion tube dims or brightens when the first dims.

Likes Buzz Bloom

1. What are fluorescent lights?

Fluorescent lights are a type of electric light that produce light by passing an electric current through a gas-filled tube. This process creates ultraviolet light, which then causes a phosphor coating on the inside of the tube to emit visible light.

2. How do fluorescent lights work?

Fluorescent lights work by using an electric current to excite mercury vapor inside the tube, producing ultraviolet light. The ultraviolet light then causes the phosphor coating on the inside of the tube to emit visible light. This process is called fluorescence.

3. What are the advantages of using fluorescent lights?

Fluorescent lights have several advantages over other types of lighting, including energy efficiency, long lifespan, and less heat production. They also produce a more natural and evenly distributed light compared to incandescent bulbs.

4. What are the potential health risks associated with fluorescent lights?

Some people may experience headaches, eye strain, and migraines from exposure to the flickering of fluorescent lights. They may also contain small amounts of mercury, which can be harmful if the bulbs are broken or disposed of improperly. However, modern fluorescent lights have improved in both flickering and mercury content.

5. How do fluorescent lights compare to LED lights?

Both fluorescent and LED lights are energy-efficient options, but LED lights have a longer lifespan and do not contain mercury. However, fluorescent lights are generally more affordable and produce a warmer light compared to the cooler light of LED bulbs. The choice between the two ultimately depends on personal preference and specific lighting needs.