A nonlinear recurrence relation

In summary, the conversation discusses a nonlinear recurrence relation for ##a_{n+1}## and ##a_n##, where the goal is to determine if a fixed point is unique. The solution is found to be ##a_n=1##, and it is explained that any other value for ##a_n## will not result in a fixed point. The conversation also mentions a book by Strogatz and concludes with well wishes for the weekend.
Wuberdall
Hi Physics Forums,

I am stuck on the following nonlinear recurrence relation
$$a_{n+1}a_n^2 = a_0,$$
for ##n\geq0##.

Any ideas on how to defeat this innocent looking monster?

I have re-edited the recurrence relation

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you provide some context here? Is this homework? In what book / course did you come across this? Is this for a particular fractal graph?

It seems that it would oscillate from very small to very large until you're dividing by zero or by infinity.

##a_{n+1} = 1 / { a_n^2 } ## where ##a_n \neq 0##

Wuberdall said:
Hi Physics Forums,

I am stuck on the following nonlinear recurrence relation
$$a_{n+1}a_n^2 = 1,$$
for ##n\geq0##.

Any ideas on how to defeat this innocent looking monster?
What do you want to know about it? Have you tried isolating ##a_{n+1}## on one side of the equation?

Likes Wuberdall
Wuberdall said:
I am stuck
In what way ?
This homework ? Please use the template and provide a full problem description and an attempt at solution tohat shows where you are stuck ...

Hi, this is not homework or course related. I am trying to determine if a fixed point for a certain dynamical system is unique. In doing so I come across the above recurrence relation.

So what I am really looking for, is a solution and whether or not this solution is unique

Wuberdall said:
Hi, it is not homework or course related. I am trying to determine if a fixed point for a certain dynamical system is unique. In doing so I come across the above recurrence relation.

So what I am really looking for, is a solution and whether or nor this solution is unique
It has exactly one fixed point at ##a_n=1##, though it is not a stable fixed point.

Likes Wuberdall
Where do the ##a_n## live and are there initial conditions?

tnich said:
It has exactly one fixed point at ##a_n=1##, though it is not a stable fixed point.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for and also what my intuition told me.

How do you conclude that their is exactly one fixed point ?

Wuberdall said:
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for and also what my intuition told me.

How do you conclude that their is exactly one fixed point ?
If ##a_n## is not 1, then the sequence does not converge, so there can be no other fixed point.

Likes Wuberdall
tnich said:
If ##a_n## is not 1, then the sequence does not converge, so there can be no other fixed point.
A fixed point must satisfy ##a_{n+1}=a_n##. In this case that results in ##a_n a_n^2=1## which has three solutions (two of which are complex), but only ##a_n=1## results in a fixed point.

tnich said:

Thanks, for your time.

I have figured it out now. It turned out that I was a bit rusty. So I found my old and dusty book by Strogatz on my bookshelf. All your comments make complete sense now and I see why they are true.

I wish you a happy and sunny weekend.

tnich said:
A fixed point must satisfy ##a_{n+1}=a_n##. In this case that results in ##a_n a_n^2=1## which has three solutions (two of which are complex), but only ##a_n=1## results in a fixed point.
Oops, no I think the two complex cube roots of 1 also are fixed points.

Likes mfb
Wuberdall said:
I wish you a happy and sunny weekend.

It's only Monday. The weekend is a long way off.

1. What is a nonlinear recurrence relation?

A nonlinear recurrence relation is a mathematical relationship between a sequence of values, where each value is determined by a combination of previous values and does not follow a linear pattern.

2. How is a nonlinear recurrence relation different from a linear recurrence relation?

A nonlinear recurrence relation does not have a constant rate of change between consecutive terms, whereas a linear recurrence relation does. This means that the relationship between the terms in a nonlinear recurrence relation is more complex and cannot be represented by a simple equation.

3. Can nonlinear recurrence relations be solved analytically?

In most cases, nonlinear recurrence relations cannot be solved analytically (i.e. using mathematical equations). Instead, they must be solved numerically using algorithms or computer programs.

4. What are some real-life examples of nonlinear recurrence relations?

Nonlinear recurrence relations can be found in various fields such as economics, biology, and physics. For example, population growth, where the growth rate is affected by factors such as limited resources and competition, can be modeled using a nonlinear recurrence relation.

5. How are nonlinear recurrence relations useful in scientific research?

Nonlinear recurrence relations are useful in modeling complex systems and understanding their behavior. They can also be used to make predictions and test hypotheses. In addition, they can be used in optimization problems where the goal is to find the best solution given certain constraints.